How did you join Numista?

10 posts • viewed 284 times

» Quick access to the last post

So I would like to hear the story of how you joined Numista. I was using it as an encyclopaedia about coins, then I stumbled upon the forum. So that’s why I joined Numista. And, a few months later , I use it as an encyclopaedia and as a place to talk about stuff related to coins. It’s probably how most people joined this site but I do wanna hear some interesting ones.
Hi there! I am an inexperienced collector with an interest in a lot of coins
I received a pile of foreign coins from a friend, which I had no interest in. I simply couldn't throw them away, so I looked online for info., And found Numista to be perfect for my purposes.
from that day on, I was hooked.
Quote: "johnspa"​I received a pile of foreign coins from a friend, which I had no interest in. I simply couldn't throw them away, so I looked online for info., And found Numista to be perfect for my purposes.
​from that day on, I was hooked.
​so that’s how you also started becoming a coin collector as well?
Hi there! I am an inexperienced collector with an interest in a lot of coins
Quote: "Goutham Sivasailam"
Quote: "johnspa"​I received a pile of foreign coins from a friend, which I had no interest in. I simply couldn't throw them away, so I looked online for info., And found Numista to be perfect for my purposes.
​​from that day on, I was hooked.
​​so that’s how you also started becoming a coin collector as well?
​Yes. That is when I started collecting.
I was looking for something that would help me keep track of my collection and didn't feel like buying a commercial product for a number of reasons:
- I wanted something that would have coin pictures and didn't want to spend a lot of time taking my own
- Many commercial products don't get updated very often
- Many of them don't offer remote hosting, so they take space on your hd and can't be accessed except from your home pc where you have them installed

I found Colnect and Numista around the same time and still use and try to contribute to both.
HoH
I'm a member of fb numismatic group. Once somebody posted pics of a coin asking for verification. Then other member suggested verification using Numista. That's why I'm here today with all my collection catalogued.
I stumbled upon Numista when I finally had the time and settled down to catalog and understand everything I had amassed over decades and decades of collecting since I was a child of about 6 years old. Seemed like the perfect place to do it because it is so convenient and educational.
Collected US coins since 1955. Had a bunch of canadian and mexican coins plus miscellaneous others. Decided to look for a site where I could trade or sell them for coins I needed. After looking at the catalog I realized I had enough canadian cents to start a collection!😹 Got heavy into world coins but decided there were just too many so again decided to trade them for things I needed in my other sets. Now my US and canada sets are my main interests - along with WWII coins-nazi and occupation coinage and world WWII coins. Would like to see more interest in third party graded coins on this site. I am heavy into the NGC Registry and actually spend more time with it than my ungraded coins
If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything
The Covid lockdown in 2020 gave me a chance to catalogue my coins & notes. Was using Numista to identify coins for nearly a year prior to that, but never registered. I looked at different chat forums and other hobby websites. Numista was by far the best.
Great bunch of helpful people out here with phenomenal knowledge of everything coins/notes related.
I’ve always kept coins that were unusual to me since 2012 mainly U.K. coins and some foreign coins from trips and holidays such as Euros, US dollars and UAE dirhams. But for whatever reason in mid to late 2019 I started to become very interested in coins and my parents showed me their small collections of coins and notes from holidays circa the 90s-early 2019. So I used back then old ice cream (still go them for duplicates and making sorting easier) milk cartons to store them in until early 2020 when I bough some plastic storage boxes to use instead. I came across Numista in the last days in 2019 and used it to identify some of the coins I didn’t know which country there from and in March 2020 I finally joined the club and I’ve learned a lot since then what to do what not to do what’s valuable what’s not and so on.
Hi to whoever is reading this. Did you know that TYPEWRITER (on a QWERTY keyboard) is the longest word you can type using only the letters on one row of the keyboard.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 19:16.