Bring Coin Collection from Chile to Germany

9 posts • viewed 289 times
Hi everyone!

I live since 2019 in Germany, but I needed to left my coin collection back (I didn't have so much space in my bag :'))

Someone knows how could I bring it (obviously not travel 100 times :) ), I really miss it :P hahaha and I wanted to start in Numista to added.

they are legal problems or something?

My Collection is in Chile, I don't have any gold or extreme rare coin (I think) and are around 1500 coins.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Greetings!
I am sure there will be better advice from the senior members.
In a different forum - for a similar question, the advice was to be a member of a numismatic society. Also make sure you are not in contravention of any laws. Carrying so many coins is bound to get flagged .
Packing this in the main cargo - always a possibility of pilfering.
I had packed some of my stuff in the cargo bags and the rest in my hand luggage. The customs inspector documented this in my passport.
I cannot write from experience but I saw a dealer (on a different forum) write that he declares whatever he brings. So long as you declare on the little form- what you have- there should be no problem. It means you'll get inspected but way better than trying to sneak them through & they flag you & discover your collection. You might want to print out a spreadsheet (before travelling) & attach to the declaration form.
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphilycculture/collecting-banknotes
I brought my coin collection back from Mexico to Germany in 1986 with the normal moving of my household. No problem, except one album disappeared somewhere in the moving.
A collection belongs to your household, but if you only move temporarily to Germany, then leave your coins in Chile (family?).
Globetrotter
Coin varieties in French:
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
The coins belong to you and you can declare them as household items during a move as you would with any other items without paying any import fees. There is a limit on cash you are allowed to bring during each trip without declaring it, so if it is just regular coins without very expensive ones you will be fine. Might have to explain to the customs people.
I once brought my collection from Germany to the US - most of it in my carry on. That has the advantage that you don't give your collection out of hand (as you would in a checked bag). Downside is that you have to drag around a super heavy carry on but from my experience airlines don't care about the weight of your carry on on international flights. I also got asked a few questions at the security as the coins will appear as a giant blue blob on the scanner. One officer was really interested and said I have a nice collection, an other officer was more skeptical and I had do convince him that the coins are of no big value (my collections contains random cheap world coins from the 20+21st century).
Dear BluHawk, Serial_Numer_8 and Sjoelund,

I really appreciate your answers!

BluHAwk, as you said, Im afraid of the pilfering, because a few of them had sentimental feelings. Like the first coins that my dad give me and the reason why I collect Coins.

Serial_Number_8, I did't thought about that. It's a good Idea.

Sjoelund, you are completely right, I never thought about that. All the laws change in the time, but maybe exist a list with what count as a household and what not in the actuality. I will try to look for it!

Again, I'm really thankfully with you all, and I wish you a nice week :)
I just brought back a few hundred coins and banknotes from the USA. Security opened my bag and one of the boxes with coins in it but otherwise no problems.
Me too I once brought several kg of coins from South America to Germany in the hand luggage. The security asked me what it was but it was no problem. Fortunately no airline (not even Ryanair) weights the hand luggage.
I'm not orange and also in other things I'm not a Donald at all. DonChori like Don Felipe or Doña María, por favor.
Quote: "DonChori"​Me too I once brought several kg of coins from South America to Germany in the hand luggage. The security asked me what it was but it was no problem. Fortunately no airline (not even Ryanair) weights the hand luggage.
​Now they do, since 10 years in France!
Globetrotter
Coin varieties in French:
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 12:15.