Stamp Giveaway # 17 (1974 UPU Haiti and Laos) [solved]

9 posts • viewed 92 times

» Quick access to the last post

The Haiti stamps are mixed perforated and imperforate, space-themed with overprints. The Laos stamps are colorful and space-themed. No scan.

Question 1. What city in Sri Lanka has a club that allows foreign tourists to stay there but does not allow Sri Lankans entrance except for members? I stayed there in the 1970s as part of a guided tour and my driver could not set foot in the place. He had to communicate with me through a doorman. And I was forced to rent a tie in order to have dinner. The dress code is still in effect but states that ties are supplied free of charge. Maybe I paid a returnable deposit (believe me, I didn't want the tie!) instead of a rental fee.

Question 2. What island nation built a skyscraper in a foreign country in the 1970s as part of an investment program for the nation's future generations? The island no longer owns the building so I guess the investment potential did not materialize.

First response with correct answers before or at one minute after midnight July 30, 2021 eastern US time wins. If no one supplies the correct answers (could come in multiple responses) the first response wins. All responses in English please. My decision of the winner is final.

Good luck to all who enter!

Will
Question 1: i have a few guesses , Is it Colombo , Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte, or Kandy?

Question 2 : I believe it's Sri Lanka

Even if i get it wrong, i could get it as i'm the first person to reply

Goutham

Edit: it would be perfect if i win, as July 30th is my Bday
Hi there! I am an inexperienced collector with an interest in a lot of coins
Question 1: It seems there are several private clubs in Colombo that fit your clues.

Question #2: Singapore started investing in skyscrapers after leaving the fold of Malaysia. This does not quite fit the clue. I didn't realize that Singapore was considered an island nation as well as a City-State.
1. Colombo or Jaffna

2. I know this one - Nauru, they built Nauru house in Melbourne Australia in 1976, Nauru was rich off nationalised Phospate wealth. By 2000 it had run out and Nauru was bankrupt and lost the skyscraper. Now Nauru runs internment camps for Australia.
I love coins
The first one could be The Hill Club in Nuwara Eliya, as for the second I guess Moneytane is right, it is Nauru House built by Nauru.
Quote: "allexis"​The first one could be The Hill Club in Nuwara Eliya, as for the second I guess Moneytane is right, it is Nauru House built by Nauru.
​It's not the hill club (mostly). it was built by some british gentlemen , but there's no reference of it only for foreigners
Hi there! I am an inexperienced collector with an interest in a lot of coins
A person who is a non resident of Sri Lanka, who visits Sri Lanka on a tourist Visa – She/he is eligible to be accommodated as a temporary member (tourist) at the Hill Club.

Temporary members are not permitted to entertain any resident of Sri Lanka to the Club (Drivers, Sri Lankan partners, etc) Other than members of the Club.
Status changed to Solved (Coinman48, 28-Jul-2021, 14:36)
Congratulations allexis for answering both questions correctly! Your stamps will be on the way soon.

And for supplying the information from the Hill Club website.

I look forward to your participation again. Good luck to those who choose to participate again.

Will
Always a pleasure, thank you!

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 12:59.