Stamp Giveaway # 19 (Laos, Uruguay, El Salvador, Togo, Bulgaria 1974 UPU) [solved]

14 posts • viewed 192 times

» Quick access to the last post

Includes Uruguay souvenir sheet and Bulgaria is a souvenir sheet. No scan.

This giveaway has somewhat different rules. Question 3 is a bonus for which a correct response by itself will win the stamps as long as Questions 1 and 2 have not yet been answered. Incorrect first responses to Question 3 will not win. Responses to Question 3 must arrive by same time given for Questions 1 and 2 below. For Questions 1 and 2 the rules are the same as before. First correct response before or at 10 PM eastern US time, August 1, 2021 wins. Correct responses can be split into different responses. If there is no correct response to Questions 1, 2 or 3, the first response to Questions 1 and 2 wins. My decision as to winner is final.

Good luck to all who participate!

Question 1: What were the first postage stamps ordered from abroad to be printed by Perkins Brown?

Question 2: What occupied territory following World War II had a much larger number of postage due stamp types issued than could have been postally necessary? There could possibly be more than one answer technically correct but answer has to be the one I am thinking of.

Question 3 "Bonus": There exists an Equatorial Guinea minisheet of 8 stamps for Rowland Hill's anniversary that has the stamps perforated and imperforated. I am positive I saw information about another difference but I did not think it was a difference that required adding both versions to my collection and I also added only perforated versions when available with or without perforations and with identical designs in the same colors. Can anyone name the difference I remember?

Will
This may be the Answer to question 3 :

Version 1 : Below image for perforated and imperforated stamps sheet.

Version 2 : Below image showing imperforated stamps bearing holes which creates stamp shape rectangle and perforated stamps without those stamp shaped holes in stamps.

​​​​​​
Najuk
Good try, Najuk, but not the difference I remember.
There is one more difference I have noted.

Normal perforated stamp sheet :

Below stamp sheet contains badge(may be) on suit of Sir Rowland hill
 :

Since you have said that you have collected only perforated stamp sheets with same design and color so this may not be the difference you are looking for.

But I spotted something 😅 so I thought it's worth sharing I guess.

Got to know lot of things through your giveaways. Thanks for creating such Giveaways Sir.

​​​​​​
Najuk
Answer to question 1 :

A one penny in brick-red and a four pence in blue (both in triangular shape) - the first stamps of the Cape of Good Hope, printed by Messrs Perkins, Bacon & Co. in 1853.
Najuk
First time when I didn't Google it so I might be utterly wrong. I am going to say allied occupied Germany for the second one.
Question 1)
On july 1853, stamps were produced for Chile

Question 2)
May be the "Carpanthian Ukraine" which never reached the status of « country » but the puppet "National Committee of Transcarpatho-Ukraine".

Question 3)
The difference between perforated and imperforated mini sheets might be related to the gum. The imperforated version might be without gum or a different type of gum.
There is also another version of these imperforated and perforated minisheets, overloaded with LONDON 1980.
Referee of south atlantic islands
I see this is one of the harder competitions. No one has any right answer yet. Keep guessing!

Will
Perkins printed stamps for Nova Scotia in 1851, this might be the first foreign issue.

LE: Or maybe Britannia type stamp for Trinidad 1851
New Brunswick ordered stamps too on 1851
Status changed to Solved (Coinman48, 2-Aug-2021, 14:29)
No correct response so Frenchlover wins as having the earliest response attempting 1 and 2. Congratulations!

1. The Pacific Steam Navigation Co. ordered stamps for its steamship postal service in South America in 1847. The stamps were sent to Peru but never issued by the company. Years later the stamps were given to the Peruvian government and used provisionally for 3 months.

2. Istria and the Slovene Coast (part of Italy) was occupied by Yugoslavia for a couple of years and then became part of Yugoslavia.

3. I have a strong feeling that the minisheet was issued with and without the printer's name, not on the stamps but on the selvedge.

Watch for the next giveaway! Thanks to all who participated thus far.

Will
Coinman48 - your stamp giveaways are delightful to participate in (silently for me).
The questions reflect your in-depth knowledge of philatelic history. The answers are not easy to find. Just reading the replies and your explanations has been educational.
Well done on bringing cheer to the group
Thank you BluHawk! I may run out of questions before I run out of stamps.

Will

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 12:50.