1 Euro test coin 2000 Italy (Lombardia-Malta)

4 posts • viewed 72 times
Hello folks,
I'm new here, have red the "Rules and Guidelines" ... If I make any mistakes please tell me and I will adjust ;-)
So,
I have been given this 1 euro test coin this week, it came for free with an order I placed with a friended collector... Nice eh
After 2 days of browing the web I didn't find any information regarding this coin/token
The object is in a coinholder glued inbetween a carton that has some text on.
I'll post all scans I've made.
Don't have any info regarding weight because I can't find my scale anywhere.
If anybody has any info whatsoever please tell me ;-)
Many thanks in advance,
doc.

Front of carton

Left inside of carton

Back of carton

Hello and welcome to Numista! Nothing wrong with your post.

I don't have any direct information but can guess this is a token given out to attendees at a meeting in 2000. The carton text translate to something like, "The Grand Prior Delegate of Lombardy, on the occasion of the meeting of the ambassadors of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta in Milan and the gala at the Garden Society, welcomes all the participants and brings together a small souvenir of the event for the confreres and friends of the order."
Thanks for the info mate ;-)
You're absolutely right !
I've done some more research and this meeting must have took place somewhere in Italy.
S.M.O.M. stands for Sovereign Military Order of Malta.
On this event a delegate from Lombardia named Nicolò Giustiniani had this token as souvenir.
I've found this person on Facebook and have send him a message asking if he could give me information...

It's some sort of religious community founded around 1000 AC and is spread all around the world...
LINK to their Homepage
Lot's of info on wiki. They even have their own currency = 1 scudo = 12 tari = 240 grani
So my guess is that this pre euro example tells people how many scudo the new currency (Euro) will be.
As pressed on the backside of the coin 1 EUR = 1936,27
Measured the coin and it's the same as 1 EUR - COMUNE DI SASSELLO (LIGURIA)

Another question is if anyone could tell me the value of this souvenir of which I think is pretty rare ?
The carton & token/coin are in mint condition.

Not that I'm going to sell this gift ;-) I need to know how to put it into my catalogue...
Thanks,
doc.
1936,27 was the exchange rate from the lira to the euro.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:39.