American name and address added to Chinese Yuan Shi Kai coin

8 posts • viewed 240 times
Hey guys!
here is a fun one for you.

What / why / how / ?! is going on here?

The coin is genuine - year 3 ROC yuan Shi Kai dollar.

But what is going on with the Chop marks (?)
I have never seen or heard of this.

Any information or help would be amazing!
Are you sure it's genuine? Has it been checked by an expert on these coins? The vast majority of these coins are fakes. Most are in collector hands with proven provenance.

I suspect the person who stamped the coin with the address was just having a little fun with a fake coin. Probably gave it out like a business card.
I’ve had it checked yes!
The coin is genuine as far as I’m aware. Iv actually arranged for it to be sent off to the NGC tomorrow - Shanghai has a good office here that will be a definitive answer - for coin verification only.

the stamp is what interests me.

your suggestion of business card is kind of cool. But I can’t find anything out about the guy - although the address is genuine!
This is exactly the kind of mystery that I love! Here's what I was able to dig up:

1610 Falck Ave is currently a parking lot. Before that, it was a 6-unit, 3 story apartment building. The building was home to a few local notables from the 1920s through the 1940s, but overall it seems to have been fairly non-descript. By the 70s, however, it was apparently in dilapidated condition. The city of Pittsburgh took ownership and had the building demolished in 1975.

As for Al Crawford, I haven't been able to tie him to this address. This is not overly surprising as apartment living in this period in the US would more often be transitional rather than permanent (which matches Crawford's later pattern of residence). However, I have found sufficient evidence to put together a rough biography. Thankfully, there weren't many Al Crawfords in Pittsburgh and the age of the coin and type of stamp let me rule out any of the ones from the 1800s. This left me with the 2nd most recent Pittsburgh Al Crawford. He was born in 1927 and served in the US Coast Guard during WWII for 7 months before being honorably discharged. In the early 1950s, he was a salesman at Three Rivers Motor Co., a Ford dealership. Sometime later he seems to have also started selling other cars on his own via newspaper ads. Then, in 1961, Al Crawford managed to open a cocktail bar at 1717 Babcock Blvd. called Fat Daddy's Lounge. He seems to have run the business until at least the late-1970s. When he died in 1988 he was still going by "Fat Daddy" Crawford. His wife, Leona M. Crawford, passed away in September 2013. They had two sons, Al and Leonard who are presumably still living.

Without asking Mr. Crawford himself, it's pretty difficult to say why he had this coin modified as he did or to 100% confirm that it was his. But it doesn't seem particularly out of character as a calling card for a young man who aspired to and eventually succeeded at opening a cocktail lounge in Pittsburgh.
Quote: "seltsamesammler"​This is exactly the kind of mystery that I love! Here's what I was able to dig up:

​1610 Falck Ave is currently a parking lot. Before that, it was a 6-unit, 3 story apartment building. The building was home to a few local notables from the 1920s through the 1940s, but overall it seems to have been fairly non-descript. By the 70s, however, it was apparently in dilapidated condition. The city of Pittsburgh took ownership and had the building demolished in 1975.

​As for Al Crawford, I haven't been able to tie him to this address. This is not overly surprising as apartment living in this period in the US would more often be transitional rather than permanent (which matches Crawford's later pattern of residence). However, I have found sufficient evidence to put together a rough biography. Thankfully, there weren't many Al Crawfords in Pittsburgh and the age of the coin and type of stamp let me rule out any of the ones from the 1800s. This left me with the 2nd most recent Pittsburgh Al Crawford. He was born in 1927 and served in the US Coast Guard during WWII for 7 months before being honorably discharged. In the early 1950s, he was a salesman at Three Rivers Motor Co., a Ford dealership. Sometime later he seems to have also started selling other cars on his own via newspaper ads. Then, in 1961, Al Crawford managed to open a cocktail bar at 1717 Babcock Blvd. called Fat Daddy's Lounge. He seems to have run the business until at least the late-1970s. When he died in 1988 he was still going by "Fat Daddy" Crawford. His wife, Leona M. Crawford, passed away in September 2013. They had two sons, Al and Leonard who are presumably still living.

​Without asking Mr. Crawford himself, it's pretty difficult to say why he had this coin modified as he did or to 100% confirm that it was his. But it doesn't seem particularly out of character as a calling card for a young man who aspired to and eventually succeeded at opening a cocktail lounge in Pittsburgh.

​Wow! That is some amazing research! |I love the idea he was some sort of local boss man - 'fat daddy' is badass - also a cool Link into the colloquial name of the Coin it is stamped on - the 'Fatman dollar' - this could all be coming together!

As of yesterday- I had 4 guys at the Chinese antique market verify the coin as genuine - and all laugh at me for liking it with the graffiti - and it has been put into a lot to be sent to the NGC today - so in 5-10 weeks we will have it back with a little info from the NGC on it hopefully!
And if its a good counterfeit - its also super interesting!

I would love it if this guy that you found was some sort of pimp and it was his calling card or something!

I also super agree with you - the reason I got the coin is for the mystery!

Thank you so much for the information!
Speaking of calling cards. I have a Italy 1982 1,000 Lire (Marco Polo) banknote with "Franco's" telephone number.:8D
well some good news and bad!
Still no clue on the counter stamp, but! Its legit!
ha
makes my 100 dollar investment seem okay!

Neat of ngc to actually make note of the counterstamp as is rather then marking it down as some form of damage on the coin

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 06:49AM.