Common ancient-semi modern era coins

14 posts • viewed 496 times

» Quick access to the last post

Hi
As I’m adding all of the nations that exist/existed since 1900 and a few nations before then to my list of coins to get. But is there any common older coins from older issuers that I might need to note down to avoid any issue of moving the entire list to fit it in?

Mostly I’m talking about common issuers/countries from ancient coins (eg Ancient Greece) to the mid 1800s state coins (eg German states) coins that are likely to end up in my collection.

I’ll keep a list of them when I get responses to avoid different people posting the same issuer/ country.

Thanks
M

Linked topic:https://en.numista.com/forum/topic107859.html#p927588
Hi to whoever is reading this. Did you know that TYPEWRITER (on a QWERTY keyboard) is the longest word you can type using only the letters on one row of the keyboard.
Issuers/countries
Hi to whoever is reading this. Did you know that TYPEWRITER (on a QWERTY keyboard) is the longest word you can type using only the letters on one row of the keyboard.
I guess, if I understand correctly, that you are putting them in an album and want to save spots on sheets so you don’t have to move your entire collection in order to accommodate a new coin. I think you just have to determine what you want to collect. If it is only post 1900 coins then just save those spots. But if you plan on adding Roman coins or German states or Indian princely states etc then you will need a lot of available spots but you had better determine what you want out of your collection first if it is going to not work for you to adjust. Or come up with a different storage method. I’d say depending on how you buy coins Pre 1900 coins are often not in bulk eBay lots and require you to knowingly acquire them. More common coins in my collection from a list standpoint would be

Rome
Ancient Greece
german states(prussia most easily obtained and common)
Ottoman Empire
Austria Habsburg
Canadian provinces
golden horde (thanks grinya)
etc

just figure out the scope of your collection and life is easier.
If your list is in an Excel spreadsheet (or similar tool), you never need to worry about adding lines. It's just a couple of clicks.
I have a worksheet for each of the 5 themes in my collection. I can add a new target coin, and my research results on it just by adding a new line(s) in the appropriate worksheet.
Quote: "Stupendousman35"​I guess, if I understand correctly, that you are putting them in an album and want to save spots on sheets so you don’t have to move your entire collection in order to accommodate a new coin. I think you just have to determine what you want to collect. If it is only post 1900 coins then just save those spots. But if you plan on adding Roman coins or German states or Indian princely states etc then you will need a lot of available spots but you had better determine what you want out of your collection first if it is going to not work for you to adjust. Or come up with a different storage method. I’d say depending on how you buy coins Pre 1900 coins are often not in bulk eBay lots and require you to knowingly acquire them. More common coins in my collection from a list standpoint would be

​Rome
​Ancient Greece
​german states(prussia most easily obtained and common)
​Ottoman Empire
​Austria Habsburg
​Canadian provinces
​golden horde (thanks grinya)
​etc

​just figure out the scope of your collection and life is easier.

​That’s what I’m doing at the moment busy creating country paper cards that will go into the 2x2 page and after that I’m going to calculating all the countries types from 1900 onwards (some not that way) to now plus a several extra for coins in the future.

About the main topic, yes I’m planning to have spaces for ancient to early modern coins because I’m only allowing spaces for common ones only it is unlikely to find them in coin lots unless I’m specifically looking to buy them and I want to narrow it down to those so I don’t have thousands of different issuers that I won’t get coins from because A their too rare and expensive and B I’m restricting myself not to buy them unless it’s a one I like or one is in a coin lot.

Finally to clear things up this is about this is about Non precious metal coins and the coins will be in pages by type to save space and different years would go into sorted containers Shoeboxes, Ice cream tubs etc.
Quote: "tdziemia"​If your list is in an Excel spreadsheet (or similar tool), you never need to worry about adding lines. It's just a couple of clicks.
​I have a worksheet for each of the 5 themes in my collection. I can add a new target coin, and my research results on it just by adding a new line(s) in the appropriate worksheet.
The spreadsheet is the easy bit (I sort countries A-Z apart from a few). The main thing is about common ​non precious ancient to early modern coins from various nations/issuers from that time period.
Bump
I just went through this process on my pre-1962 Circulating World collection. Here's my "flawed" method.

1. Under "My Account Settings", I made a collection titled World Coins pre-1962. Added all those coins which fit that description with estimated Canadian $ values.
2. Added a collection titled World Coins Required. Added those coins I need in XF grade with estimated Canadian $ purchase price.

You can then download them to an Excel spreadsheet and count them. Let's say the total is 190 countries. A 2X2 flip page holds 20 coins.

Viola, you'll need 10 pages!!

Flaws
1. As mentioned, Princely/German/Austrian/etc. States will cause some problems (don't we all fall in love with a design we just gotta
have!!)
2. In my case, some coins just don't fit in a 2X2 nicely. Case in point, https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces11582.html
It's just too thick.
3. Slabbed coins. Do I release them from their prison? or .....
4. Lastly, my World Coins Required setting will cause some problems for Numista Members whom are looking at Value estimates. Frankly, I don't really care. Numista is a solid database which assists my goals.

Hoping this is helpful and good luck.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
All of these are fairly common and cheap by standards of the era. However none are junk and all are interesting to collect!

Polish and Lithuanian groats and halfgroats - 1500s - 1600s, most are a few dollars each, small billion coins.
British copper coins of the 1700s (A few $$$) and 1800s (a few cents)
French 5 and 10 centimes of Napoleon III and Third Republic ($1 or $2 each)
Belgian coins up to 50 cents (1830s - 1899)
Chinese "cash" coins - they were issued between 200BC and 1912. The bulk of them are Tang to Qing dynasty (700s - 1910s).
Turkish/Egyptian copper, brass and cupronickel coins up to 5 Millemes 1840s - 1910s

Finally and very interestingly.

Roman empire copper and bronze coins of the 230AD to 400AD era, mostly folli, ases, dupondii, antoniannus etc, radiates - emperors like Constans etc. Most are worn and dug up in large hoards. Average price for one is about $1 and $2 each, often you can buy lots for like $30 for 50 etc. You pay more for identifiable ones, some are just lumps with marks.
I love coins
Quote: "Peter M. Graham"​I just went through this process on my pre-1962 Circulating World collection. Here's my "flawed" method.

​1. Under "My Account Settings", I made a collection titled World Coins pre-1962. Added all those coins which fit that description with estimated Canadian $ values.
​2. Added a collection titled World Coins Required. Added those coins I need in XF grade with estimated Canadian $ purchase price.

​You can then download them to an Excel spreadsheet and count them. Let's say the total is 190 countries. A 2X2 flip page holds 20 coins.

​Viola, you'll need 10 pages!!

Flaws
​1. As mentioned, Princely/German/Austrian/etc. States will cause some problems (don't we all fall in love with a design we just gotta
​ have!!)
​2. In my case, some coins just don't fit in a 2X2 nicely. Case in point, https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces11582.html
​ It's just too thick.
​3. Slabbed coins. Do I release them from their prison? or .....
​4. Lastly, my World Coins Required setting will cause some problems for Numista Members whom are looking at Value estimates. Frankly, I don't really care. Numista is a solid database which assists my goals.

​Hoping this is helpful and good luck.
​Interesting, I might try it out.
Quote: "Moneytane"​All of these are fairly common and cheap by standards of the era. However none are junk and all are interesting to collect!

​Polish and Lithuanian groats and halfgroats - 1500s - 1600s, most are a few dollars each, small billion coins.
​British copper coins of the 1700s (A few $$$) and 1800s (a few cents)
​French 5 and 10 centimes of Napoleon III and Third Republic ($1 or $2 each)
​Belgian coins up to 50 cents (1830s - 1899)
​Chinese "cash" coins - they were issued between 200BC and 1912. The bulk of them are Tang to Qing dynasty (700s - 1910s).
​Turkish/Egyptian copper, brass and cupronickel coins up to 5 Millemes 1840s - 1910s

​Finally and very interestingly.

​Roman empire copper and bronze coins of the 230AD to 400AD era, mostly folli, ases, dupondii, antoniannus etc, radiates - emperors like Constans etc. Most are worn and dug up in large hoards. Average price for one is about $1 and $2 each, often you can buy lots for like $30 for 50 etc. You pay more for identifiable ones, some are just lumps with marks.
Thanks.👍​
Finally here is my list, countries that only issued precious metal coins are not on this list.

Aksum
Albanian cities
Arabia Ancient
Australia Colonial
Austrian states
Bohemia
Bosnia Kingdom of Bosnia
British East Indies
Burgundian Netherlands
Byzantine states
Carthaginian Empire
Celtic Britain
Central and Eastern Ancient Europe
Central Asia Ancient
Central Asia and Caucasia
China Ancient
Crimea, Khanate of
Crimean Goths
Croatian cities
Crusader and Christian states in the Eastern Mediterranean
Egypt Ancient
England
Estonia, Danish
Etruria
France - Feudal
Gaul
Georgia Ancient
Georgia Kingdom
Gepid Kingdom
German states
Gotland
Greece Ancient
Harar, Emirate of
Hawaii
Herulian Kingdom
Hindu Dynasties
Hungarian states
Hunnic tribes
Iberia Ancient
India - Danish
India - Dutch
India - French
India - Islamic
India Ancient
Islamic states
Italian states
Italy Ancient
Judea
Khmer Empire
Kievan Rus
Lanka - Medieval
Lithuania, Grand Duchy
Livonia
Lombard Kingdom
Low countries feudal
Mauretania
Mesopotamia
Mogadishu, Sultanate of
Moldavia and Wallachia
Mongol states
Mughal Empire
Northern Dynasties
Numidia
Ostrogothic Kingdom
Persia
Phoenician cities
Poland, Kingdom
Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
Roman Empire
Rus Principalities
Ryukyu, Kingdom
Scotland
Serbia (medieval)
Siberia
Spanish states
Swiss cantons
Tashir-Dzoraget, Kingdom of
Uncertain Germanic tribes
Vandal Kingdom
Venezuelan provinces
West Slavs

Any others that I missed?
Montenegro
In my Liverpool home
Quote: "Offa"​Montenegro
​Already got it noted down because my goal is every country that exist/existed since 1900. Montenegro made coins in the 1900s listed here although I would update the list in the near future with other countries.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 22:04.