Coins by date or type ?

20 posts • viewed 393 times

» Quick access to the last post

I have always collected coins by type , I have downloaded an app check your change , which gets you to tick off uk coinage by date

I have, of course , been aware that many Numista collectors collect dates of coins .

This would allow me to broaden my collection, I suppose from my regular change , but I remain unconvinced about date collecting.

What do you think ?
I like date collecting because you can find minor varieties or differences that won't be considered if collecting by type. The more complicated the more interesting in my opinion. If you don't sweat the small stuff, stick to type.

Will
Both. Many coin types I collect by date and mint or just date. Many other coins I am content having at least one example of the type mostly because they are very difficult to obtain or very expensive.
I am a little bit confused about that. You are unconvinced about collecting by date and you want reasons? Even if I see no point in debating if you should or should not collect by date you must be aware that there is no good or bad collection, after all it's a matter of what please you (assuming that you are collecting for fun). I usually collect by type with an exception - romanian coins - since I am interested in that coins and I know I can get them quite easy even by date. So just have fun collecting, by type, by date or whatever criteria you want.
Quote: "Andy289"​I am a little bit confused about that. You are unconvinced about collecting by date and you want reasons? Even if I see no point in debating if you should or should not collect by date you must be aware that there is no good or bad collection, after all it's a matter of what please you (assuming that you are collecting for fun). I usually collect by type with an exception - romanian coins - since I am interested in that coins and I know I can get them quite easy even by date. So just have fun collecting, by type, by date or whatever criteria you want.
​Andy expressed my thoughts as well.
Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
I get it ….

Because I can’t afford to pay eBay prices …I thought collecting dated small coinage might be fun , which I agree is the real aim of the hobby
I've been having some fun collecting coins after my wife started bringing home some Commemorative ones that she finds among her tips in the Cafe. I was wondering the same thing, if people usually try to have one coin of each year.

I've decided to try and complete a set of circulation 1, 2, 5, 10, and 20 p, and £1 (because there's few) by date. - These seem quite easy collections to complete tbf.
But the 50p and £2 I'll only look for type, cause they are too many and it gets expensive.
Also, I'm only interested in circulation coins (or at least coins that were in circulation at some point)
The ones from outside the UK, I just get whatever I can and will be happy only going for type too.

I also plan to collect Tokens from different Arcades. I have 2 (one from Dublin/IE, and one from the UK). Not sure it'll be a big collection, but is a cool theme. =P
Quote: "Scary"​I've been having some fun collecting coins after my wife started bringing home some Commemorative ones that she finds among her tips in the Cafe. I was wondering the same thing, if people usually try to have one coin of each year.

​I've decided to try and complete a set of circulation 1, 2, 5, 10, and 20 p, and £1 (because there's few) by date. - These seem quite easy collections to complete tbf.
​But the 50p and £2 I'll only look for type, cause they are too many and it gets expensive.
​Also, I'm only interested in circulation coins (or at least coins that were in circulation at some point)
​The ones from outside the UK, I just get whatever I can and will be happy only going for type too.

​I also plan to collect Tokens from different Arcades. I have 2 (one from Dublin/IE, and one from the UK). Not sure it'll be a big collection, but is a cool theme. =P
​There’s an app called check your change which has every year the smaller denominations minted which you can tick off and highlight the ones you are missing .. I agree our hobby is expensive but checking pennies in our change seems a fun project
I generally collect by type but I have made an exception with British shillings which I have from Edward VI to 1970.
Quote: "Offa"​I generally collect by type but I have made an exception with British shillings which I have from Edward VI to 1970.
​Now you just need to sell your car and expand into testoons
"If I wanted to destroy the forum I’ve would have already done it in a way all of you would not imagine."
Quote: "AgIsSilver"
Quote: "Offa"​I generally collect by type but I have made an exception with British shillings which I have from Edward VI to 1970.
​​Now you just need to sell your car and expand into testoons
​I have some already.
Quote: "Offa"
Quote: "AgIsSilver"

​​​Now you just need to sell your car and expand into testoons
​​I have some already.
:8D Do you have pictures?
"If I wanted to destroy the forum I’ve would have already done it in a way all of you would not imagine."
Henry VIII testoon

Henry VII testoon

Offa, if these are the actual photos of testoons that you already have then it would appear that they range in value from 7,500 pounds https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/sovereign_rarities/263/product/henry_viii_testoon/870978/Default.aspx down to 7 pounds http://dorchesters.com/henry-vii-profile-testoon
My collection is extremely valuable and mainly kept in the bank. You should see my collection of civil war siege coins.
Quote: "Offa"​My collection is extremely valuable and mainly kept in the bank. You should see my collection of civil war siege coins.
​I know many collectors have valuable collections , but it seems a shame to lock them away where you can’t see and enjoy them .

I’m reminded of a salutary tale from BBC …. A valuable piece of artwork was discovered in a church enjoyed by the many parishioners, once it was valued the authorities decided it was too risky to leave it there , so it was stored in a bank vault . Now nobody sees it and none can enjoy its beauty!
I have read that most of the 1 pound coins that were in circulation have been recalled/devalued, since about 40 per cent of what was in circulation was counterfeit.

Is this true, or are they still in circulation?
Quote: "halfdisme"​I have read that most of the 1 pound coins that were in circulation have been recalled/devalued, since about 40 per cent of what was in circulation was counterfeit.

​Is this true, or are they still in circulation?

​The 1983-2015 (ones put into circulation) Nickel Brass pound coins have not been in circulation since October 2017 (by the bimetallic version released in March 2017) since there was a heavy amount of fakes in circulation one in thirty to be exact.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2511493/first-look-at-the-new-1-coin-which-will-enter-circulation-in-2017/

But like most U.K. coins and notes these can be redeemed at banks basically forever.
Luckily, I have all the pound coins (if there not forgeries) but one special last uncirculated one !

Given that there were about 30 different designs , I wonder if we will see more designs of the new shaped pound coin.

Somehow, I doubt it as so many were minted for the changeover!

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 06:39AM.