1875 S US 20 cent... real/problems? [solved]

14 posts • viewed 312 times
This seller claims he has this US 20 cent piece for years and never cleaned or polished. I have bought from him before and never any problems. No dimensions or weight included. I don't have any familiarity with these coins. What's up with the gold looking tone btw?

Visually, everything looks to be authentic, except for the color of course. I am speculating but years ago, people would add varnish to coins they were attempting to preserve and over time the varnish yellows and otherwise changes colors. It also may have been a poor attempt at colorizing it to pass it off as a gold coin to the unsuspecting. I don't know for sure what happened to the color but I think it is otherwise a genuine 1875S 20c piece. I will attach a photo of my 1875S tomorrow so you can compare. Meantime compare it to this.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1875-s-20c/5298
Also, keep in mind that coin photography is an art.

I've purchased coins which look much better in hand than the seller's pictures. And the opposite, just as many times. Same seller too.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Not the prettiest but I like to have at least one example of absolutely everything and this one I found many, many years ago. The details on the one you are considering is obviously much nicer than mine if not for that color issue, It would be a very nice example.

I agree on the photography that looks can be deceiving. However, the seller does say it has a golden tone to it. That's why I was reaching out. I have never heard of a natural toning of silver turning copper/gold color. On Harry's coin, that is most of what the 20 cent pieces I have seen in my price range as that worn. Not to make fun of the coin. It's just a bummer because these coins are so rare to find in that kind of condition and someone possibly did something chemical to it.
Quote: "teutonic_metal"​I agree on the photography that looks can be deceiving. However, the seller does say it has a golden tone to it. That's why I was reaching out. I have never heard of a natural toning of silver turning copper/gold color. On Harry's coin, that is most of what the 20 cent pieces I have seen in my price range as that worn. Not to make fun of the coin. It's just a bummer because these coins are so rare to find in that kind of condition and someone possibly did something chemical to it.
​It's Ok, you can make fun of it but I still love it. :O My view is that you take what you can get when the opportunity arises. I would rather have a poor example of the 20c piece than no example. I certainly can't afford to have perfect examples of every coin in my collection.
👍 I agree and have turned to trying to find rarer (non US as well) coins. I have been trying to find a decent US trade dollar and a silver 3 cent piece too. So hard. Thanks for the advice from everyone and I might think this one over.
Dip it in acetone then if it has varnish on it the varnish will be removed.
Quote: "Offa"​Dip it in acetone then if it has varnish on it the varnish will be removed.
​He hasn't bought it. Trying to determine if he wants to buy it.
Thank you all for the replies. I have cleaned coins before but only with baking soda/water (never scrubbed; just rubbed gently with nitrile gloves and dipped in cold water). I also used 91 alcohol once to get some black goo off a walking liberty with no apparent damage. I have never used acetone but know that's paint thinner/remover. Would that hurt the coin?
Acetone removes the gunk from coins without damaging the patina
Looks like a nice coin that was photographed with too little light (i.e. I expect the color to appear more normal in-hand).

As for acetone, it's as safe as water for coins.
Thanks all for the opinions and help! I asked him to take photos under natural light and he showed me some more photos. It looks more natural to me. I decided to buy the coin.

Status changed to Solved (teutonic_metal, 10-Oct-2021, 07:00PM)

How much to exchange all my coins

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 06:34AM.