United States 1884 P Morgan Dollar bezel extraction [solved]

7 posts • viewed 150 times
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove this coin from the bezel? I attempted a long time ago with another Morgan but had no luck and gave it away as a gift. This one looks easier but still don't want to buy this and attempt without some good advice. Also, if anything looks off about the coin, opinions are welcomed.

I hate it. besides the bezel, it looks like it was spray painted "silver" at one time.
if it's even real, it's junk silver.
spend a few dollars more and buy a nice coin instead.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Agreed. I would not buy it for anything over scrap. This is a common date and would be easily obtainable in very nice condition for just a few dollars more.
Grab the nub at the top of the bezel and unscrew it. Use a pair of pliers if necessary.
Quote: "Steve27"​Grab the nub at the top of the bezel and unscrew it. Use a pair of pliers if necessary.
​Agreed. I've done before on more than one occasion.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Give it to a Canadian jeweller and get them to make a ring from it.
Thank you on the advice on how to unscrew those bezels. The last one I bought was a pain and I couldn't get it off even with plyers. I just gave it away. I agree too on the look. I am not an expert but saw all the lines and weird colors on it. It is kind of a cheap price for a Morgan ($25) but still over melt. I think I'll pass. On the ring, that's a helpful idea but it's not my taste. I cringe when I see coins turned into jewelry. To each their own though.
Status changed to Solved (teutonic_metal, 23-Oct-2021, 19:04)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 01:58.