Roman Empire Theodosius the Great silver coin? [solved]

12 posts • viewed 109 times

» Quick access to the last post

Greetings,

I was thinking of buying this coin as the seller claims it's silver and of Theodosius the Great. I can't find any coin in the catalogues or internet of Theodosius that looks like it. The seller doesn't provide measurements. Different ruler? Fake? Any help is appreciated.

It says right there on the obverse in clear text CONSTANTINVS, how anyone could claim this is Theodosius (or silver) is beyond me.

Constantine AE follis Follis. CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG, laureate head right. / GLORIA ROMANORVM, Roma seated left on shield with Victory on a globe and long sceptre, A left. Mintmark CONS.
I collect and deal in ancient Roman coin. In case you're looking for affordable ancient coins or need any help with the coins you already have send me a message.
here me out this actually could be silver but a very low percentage because during the time this coin was made the roman empire made the coins out of extremely low percentage silver (usually > 10 % silver and < 90% copper) however the seller definitely got the ruler wrong.
Quote: "silvergeek"​here me out this actually could be silver but a very low percentage because during the time this coin was made the roman empire made the coins out of extremely low percentage silver (usually > 10 % silver and < 90% copper) however the seller definitely got the ruler wrong.
​I agree but I don't think any self respecting dealer would call this a silver coin, it's billon at best and should be marked as such instead of trying to fool potential buyers.
I collect and deal in ancient Roman coin. In case you're looking for affordable ancient coins or need any help with the coins you already have send me a message.
Quote: "cro321"
Quote: "silvergeek"​here me out this actually could be silver but a very low percentage because during the time this coin was made the roman empire made the coins out of extremely low percentage silver (usually > 10 % silver and < 90% copper) however the seller definitely got the ruler wrong.
​​
​​I agree but I don't think any self respecting dealer would call this a silver coin, it's billon at best and should be marked as such instead of trying to fool potential buyers.
​i agree
I appreciate the expertise. I understand it being low silver but I think I am going to pass due to the fact the seller claimed it was Theodosius I. That just rubs me the wrong way.
Status changed to Solved (teutonic_metal, 31-Oct-2021, 03:05)
Quote: "teutonic_metal"​I appreciate the expertise. I understand it being low silver but I think I am going to pass due to the fact the seller claimed it was Theodosius I. That just rubs me the wrong way.
I guess the seller knows nothing of Ancient coins, I don't really see why someone would lie it's Theodosius, Constantine is more popular anyway. The coin is authentic, I have no doubt about that, and is in decent shape (text visible, patina, no damage). If you can get it at a good price (below 10$) it might make a nice addition to your collection. :)
Hi,

There is no silver at all in this piece. It is a normal nummus/follis of Constantinus I made of bronze. Ref: RIC VII# 17.
For that period (i.e. after Aurelian reform), antoninianus (made of billon) would generally be around 5% of silver but not much more. Then not important for the coin value itself.
Fairly common issue from Constantinople, decent coin, about $10 as mentioned above.
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
That's why I come here. It didn't look silver but who knows with such an old coin. I have a Theodosius coin and was suspicious it wasn't him. I am passing on it and the seller wants $75 US.
75$? Man I wish I knew where this dealer finds his buyers, I'd be rich. :O

In general as far as I can tell prices of ancient coins from US dealers are way too high, I suggest looking at European stores, even with the added shipping the coins should cost less than buying them in the US.
You did right in passing on it (my sole opinion of course).

Perhaps he is asking that amount after seeing similar type on webstores or auctions...
$75 would be a reasonable auction price for this type, but the coin should have a way better "grade" with finer details ("pearls" of the shield, details of Victory attire, the Victoriola details, etc.).
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Thank you all for your help!

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 02:30.