Meaning of "etwas Belag" [solved]

11 posts • viewed 308 times

» Quick access to the last post

I have seen the term "etwas Belag" in the description by a German seller of a medieval coin with a dark patina.

Does this refer to the patina or something else?
Hello,
"etwas" meaning a little bit
"Belag" meaning Patina or anything else of dust on coin. Wordly it means that something is on the coin.

send me a link, I am german and can help with translation or knewing the company....
www.fiat-panis.de
www.fao-coins.info
if the seller is not an expert he may see patina as dust
www.fiat-panis.de
www.fao-coins.info
It is a medieval coin with a relatively dark patina, and the seller is an experienced auction house, so I think it is just referring to this patina.

Thank you for the help!
Status changed to Solved (tdziemia, 5-Dec-2021, 07:14PM)
Quote: "tdziemia"​Thank you for the help!

​you are welcome
www.fiat-panis.de
www.fao-coins.info
Belag on a coin is better translated to crud.
so there is a tiny bot of crud (dirt) .on the coin.

a patina is usually only a word used if something looks good and positive to us, else if it deflects the image of the coin we use the term tarnish (tarnished).
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Thanks for that.
Looking at the photos again, there is a small area that looks a bit darker than the (fairly uniform) patina, so maybe this is what is being referred to.

Grateful for the comments as my understanding of German is poor, and one of my collecting themes often takes me to late medieval German States.
I thought I would follow up with photos of the coin, now that I have it.
German States / Bamberg Bishopric, 1/2 shilling 1512. https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces313423.html
Probably that description pertained to some deposits that can be seen on the reverse, to the right of the figure of St. Cunigunde, and in the legend around 3:00.
I wish you a nice Christmas and holidays.

It's just an opinion : ,,tdziemia,, according to that photo, the seller deliberately used that other reference to something that isn't really a patina. According to the local regional "sleng" expression for others, leaving the coins on the metal out of the reaction of the metal.

I personally think that this is a remnant of red sealing wax that was on the period documents in a metal stopper that left that thin strip of metal deposit. The sealing wax was pressed with great weight on the coin in a drawer box, etc. for a long time.
It's my observation from the photo:

So the seller draws attention to the peculiarity of the patina with this local designation, unnatural.

Ivan
Thank you for the helpful comment!
I saw that small red area, too, and agree this could be part of what the seller referred to.

Fortunately with this coin, (as with many others) these small defects are barely noticeable to the naked eye (especially my old ones), and as expected, the coin is attractive enough to suit me!
A very beautiful coin ❤️
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:23PM.