Dear admins, please clean the catalog of "?" year lines [solved]

31 posts • viewed 366 times

This message aims at: requesting the modification of a coin in the catalogue

Upvotes: 9
Downvotes: 0

» Quick access to the last post

There are currently over 400 coins on Numista which have a "?" year line. The full list is here:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?r=&ct=coin&im1=&im2=&tb=y&tc=y&tn=y&tp=y&tt=y&cat=y&ru=&ca=3&no=&v=&i=&b=&d=&u=&a=&dg=missing&m=&f=&t=&w=&mt=&g=&se=&c=&wi=&sw=

Since only admins can delete year lines, this is an appeal to them to please go through that list and delete them. I get that some are ancient coins where a date is unknown, but there is a huge amount of simple referee mistakes or possibilities to at least give a year range.

Thanks.
I agree.

Having ? in a date line is terrible.

It is as bad as having ND indicating when a date is clearly present on a coin.

Aidan.
Sometimes, espacelly for old coins a ? year line may be helpful.
If you get a worn coin and you are not able to identify the year it may help.
For example I got a USA 3 Cents (type 2 - two lines bordering star) and I am unable to identify correct year it will be all right to use ? line.
The coin has a value so I like to put it into my collection ( I did not until now - I try again to read the year)
www.fiat-panis.de
www.fao-coins.info
Quote: "mifrjoar"​Sometimes, espacelly for old coins a ? year line may be helpful.
​If you get a worn coin and you are not able to identify the year it may help.

​There's this page for that specifically.
Quote: "Trooper8"
Quote: "mifrjoar"​Sometimes, espacelly for old coins a ? year line may be helpful.
​​If you get a worn coin and you are not able to identify the year it may help.

​​There's this page for that specifically.
​no, this page is for unidentified coins. The ? year line is for identified coin with unidentified year.
I have severall modern coins (germany 1888-1918) very worn that you can identify the coin and year, but not the mintmark. Such cheap coins I do not collect or swap (you can get one for free in a swap).
www.fiat-panis.de
www.fao-coins.info
Quote: "mifrjoar"​​​no, this page is for unidentified coins. The ? year line is for identified coin with unidentified year.

​To cite that page:

"All coins that cannot be perfectly identified are to be entered into this file. Any other file or line created for an unidentifiable coin (due to poor condition or a lack of information to allow a perfect identification) will be deleted from the catalogue."

When you can't identify the year or mintmark, you can't identify it perfectly. So it should go into that page and ANY OTHER LINE CREATED WILL BE DELETED FROM THE CATALOGUE.

I don't know how it can be more clear than that.
In my opinion it would be better to have a year ? in old coins where such coins may have a value, or coins in better condition are expensive and/or difficult to get.
www.fiat-panis.de
www.fao-coins.info
Quote: "mifrjoar"​In my opinion it would be better to have a year ? in old coins where such coins may have a value, or coins in better condition are expensive and/or difficult to get.
​So you want a "?" year line in EVERY entry that has more than one variety (date, mintmark, etc.), so that everyone can enter their unidentifiable coin there? Or just expensive coins? But when is a coin considered expensive?

You can't be serious right? (8
Quote: "Trooper8"
Quote: "mifrjoar"​In my opinion it would be better to have a year ? in old coins where such coins may have a value, or coins in better condition are expensive and/or difficult to get.
​​So you want a "?" year line in EVERY entry that has more than one variety (date, mintmark, etc.), so that everyone can enter their unidentifiable coin there? Or just expensive coins? But when is a coin considered expensive?

​You can't be serious right? (8
​only if requested :)
www.fiat-panis.de
www.fao-coins.info
If you can't specify a line but a coin type you choose 'unidentified' for a year line (by clicking on the add to my collection it should be selected automatically). So there is no need for ? or date of the flan etc. anymore.
Quote: "Idolenz"​If you can't specify a line but a coin type you choose 'unidentified' for a year line (by clicking on the add to my collection it should be selected automatically). So there is no need for ? or date of the flan etc. anymore.
​thank you very much, I tried it for the USA 3 Cent and it is very nice feature.

DELETE ALL THE ? YEARS :)
www.fiat-panis.de
www.fao-coins.info
Status changed to Started (Jarcek, 6-Jan-2022, 22:49)
Cleanup commenced. <:D
Catalogue administrator
Huge props to the admins so far! There were over 100 "?" year lines deleted already.
Can I ask how many people are working on that right now?
There is no way how to know that (they would have to raise a hand as well), but I do. <:D
Catalogue administrator
Some are also sent to referees to solve, others are showing in the list, but there is no "?" line.
Catalogue administrator
Quote: "Jarcek"​Some are also sent to referees to solve, others are showing in the list, but there is no "?" line.
​There are some pieces that have a range of dates, such as this piece, that are on this list. That may account for a few.
Master Coin Referee
Coin referee for CRI, GTM, HND, NIC, PAN, and SLV.

Revisor principal de monedas
Revisor de Numista para monedas de CRI, GTM, HND, NIC, PAN y SLV.

Slava Ukraini 🇺🇦 and Free Palestine 🇵🇸!
The same thing applies to the banknote catalogue as well.

Aidan.
Status changed to Done (Jarcek, 9-Jan-2022, 12:18)
I cleaned up all I could. Rest is either range date or up to a referee (some request were sent, some coins are in need of additional info). <:D
Catalogue administrator
Quote: "Jarcek"​I cleaned up all I could. Rest is either range date or up to a referee (some request were sent, some coins are in need of additional info). <:D
​Thank you very much for that! It was also amazingly fast.
Were referees also contacted because of the date ranges?
Date ranges are actually good thing now and then. It shows for example that coin marked as 1925 and was minted 1925-1930.
Catalogue administrator
Quote: "Jarcek"​Date ranges are actually good thing now and then. It shows for example that coin marked as 1925 and was minted 1925-1930.
​Why are they showing up on the "missing" date list in the first place? Isn't that a bug?

Also, what I meant are the coins that have a "?" year line, but could have a date range (ND) instead. Such as this one. I thought you meant that with "range date".
Well, you are right, I will recheck once more for these.
Catalogue administrator
Status changed to Started (Jarcek, 9-Jan-2022, 17:58)
Status changed to Done (Jarcek, 14-Jan-2022, 22:45)
Cleaned what I could do now. :)
Catalogue administrator
Thank you very much for your work! Over half of the entries got cleaned up.

There are still a few entries that bother me, like this Anguilla coin. They also don't have a referee that could have been messaged about, so why does that stay?

And I assume coins with a referee like this one got messaged directly to solve when they have time?

Also, I don't know why coins like this are even on this list. I guess it comes from that 1903 date range, but isn't it a bug it shows up on the list? Because that entry doesn't have a missing year in my opinion. Can that be fixed too, such that the true mistakes can stand out more for the future?
Quote: "Trooper8"​And I assume coins with are referee like this one got messaged directly to solve when they have time?

This particular referee keeps adding duplicates to the catalogue 8~. I've given up...
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces304713.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces255094.html
Quote: "stratocaster"​​This particular referee keeps adding duplicates to the catalogue 8~. I've given up...
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces304713.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces255094.html

​What do you mean by giving up, as an administrator? B.
Will incompetent and sabotaging referees finally be removed? (8
Quote: "Trooper8"​​What do you mean by giving up, as an administrator? B.
​Will incompetent and sabotaging referees finally be removed? (8
​I meant given up on the referee in question... But it's a Sisyphean job to clean up duplicates in Rome
Quote: "stratocaster"​​​I meant given up on the referee in question... But it's a Sisyphean job to clean up duplicates in Rome

​Yeah, and what happens to a referee you gave up on?
Quote: "Jarcek"​Cleaned what I could do now. :)
​Any chance you could look at this coin and fix? It has a ND date and mintmark D.
I done few more, but I am increasingly limited by language knowledge - I am unsure if there is a date shown on Iranian or Indian coinage..
Catalogue administrator

I want to revive this post because there were new bad entries added in the last year.

I don't know how to filter out just the real missing year lines, because these simultaneous year + year range year-lines are defined as a “missing” year-line too for some reason: N#4282

The Iranian coins will probably never be cleared up… but there are some coins from the Netherlands, German states, etc. which should be easy to solve.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 10:10.