Is Numista indirectly being political?

15 posts • viewed 311 times

» Quick access to the last post

We've recently had a thread about the war that is raging in Ukraine. This was of course locked due to the forum policy. But, I have noticed that during the last days on Numista's home page, there has only been Ukrainian coins, banknotes and tokens displayed. Of course, I, as the rest of the world, am disgusted by what's happening, but I thought Numista was about collecting, sharing and community. To me this isn't being neutral. This is making a very clear political point, and I don't think this is something we should do here on Numista. We collect numismatics items from all around the world, and we share our knowledge with everyone. I sense double standards here, and I don't like it. Since the guidelines are forbidding political discussions on the forum, the website itself cannot take a political stand.

Thank you!
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
there are only Ukrainian coins, banknotes and tokens on display.
180 000 coins type, 30 000 banknots type, 70 000 exonumias type
it makes you dream and can make people jealous
La recherche PAR et POUR TOUS BOINC ( Sciences, Medecine, Climat ... )
https://scienceunited.org/  = BIGEST WORLD COMPUTER is YOU
we
It's time to realise that ignoring what's going on in Ukraine isn't being neutral, it's helping Putin. There's nothing political about opposing ethnic cleansing and genocide, however symbolic that opposition might be.
Numista referee for banknotes from Ireland, Northern Ireland & Scotland.
Without going into the current events, I don't remember anyone being very concerned about Iraq, Libya, Yugoslavia, Sirya, Yemen...

Call me whatever you like, but this is wrong type of "intended solidarity" before Numista audience at the moment. Please let us stay apolitical.
:snif:
I on the other hand fully approve of the decision to "re-focus" our front page.
It's exactly the sort of step a site like this can take.

LRC
I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!
Quote: "ceh2019"There's nothing political about opposing ethnic cleansing and genocide, however symbolic that opposition might be.
​This is not what's happening, though. And we cannot have guidelines forbidding political discussions when the site itself makes political statements. That's just not right.
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Quote: "ngdawa"
Quote: "ceh2019"There's nothing political about opposing ethnic cleansing and genocide, however symbolic that opposition might be.
​​This is not what's happening, though. And we cannot have guidelines forbidding political discussions when the site itself makes political statements. That's just not right.
How is putting Ukrainian pieces on the front page political? If this were a natural disaster, would you oppose such a move?
Quote: "ceh2019"
​​​This is not what's happening, though. And we cannot have guidelines forbidding political discussions when the site itself makes political statements. That's just not right.
​How is putting Ukrainian pieces on the front page political? If this were a natural disaster, would you oppose such a move?
​It's an indirect statement. Pretty obvious, though.
We are allowed to discuss politics, but the admins are? That's just not right.
An indirect statement of what? I agree the same standards must apply to all but I see nothing political in this gesture.
It is obvious: there would only be one country left on Numista!
There are other ways to do humanitarian work
Unless a turn is established
La recherche PAR et POUR TOUS BOINC ( Sciences, Medecine, Climat ... )
https://scienceunited.org/  = BIGEST WORLD COMPUTER is YOU
we
Quote: "ceh2019"

​​​This is not what's happening, though. And we cannot have guidelines forbidding political discussions when the site itself makes political statements. That's just not right.
​How is putting Ukrainian pieces on the front page political? If this were a natural disaster, would you oppose such a move?
​Two days ago there was a women's day. No similar approach was made. I am very sad about that.
But still, Ukrainization of first page has shown something of possible value to Numista. Admin could update the Main Numista page in a sense, that goes along with certain dates and coins/exonumia/notes are selected and displayed accordingly, let it be some kind of a holiday (e.g. celebration of the end of WWII) or global holiday (Christmas - both of them) or something big from history (e.g. creation of European Union, the global lighthouse of democracy and freedom of speech) or just something simple like celebrating first day of Spring (lets hope we all do make it so far) or Anschluss - its coming up in two days B). Tags could be used for such selective display on specific date.
Any thoughts on this one?
LP
Hello,

The change of the home page aimed at expressing solidarity with the people from Ukraine; and I still believe it was a good and important thing to do. I understand that it hurt the political opinion of some people, which raises legitimate concern since Numista policy forbids political discussions.

Since the change on the home page was anyway not meant to be a long-term change and it has been live for 7 days, I just reverted it to all countries.

I also share the opinion raised above that other causes are worth being promoted. For the International Women's Day, I tagged some coins related to women's rights. Perhaps there could be a "coin of the day" on the home page to celebrate or show support for more topics.
Quote: "Xavier"​Hello,

​The change of the home page aimed at expressing solidarity with the people from Ukraine; and I still believe it was a good and important thing to do. I understand that it hurt the political opinion of some people, which raises legitimate concern since Numista policy forbids political discussions.

​Since the change on the home page was anyway not meant to be a long-term change and it has been live for 7 days, I just reverted it to all countries.

​I also share the opinion raised above that other causes are worth being promoted. For the International Women's Day, I tagged some coins related to women's rights. Perhaps there could be a "coin of the day" on the home page to celebrate or show support for more topics.
Hello Xavier,
I wouldn't have minded if you'd left it up for a while!
Thanks for thinking of it.

LRC
I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!
I just assumed that the algorithm provided examples of "most searched" coins, banknotes, or nations.

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 09:06 pm.