Possible Ethiopian counterfeit note?

11 posts • viewed 155 times

» Quick access to the last post

Hello, I have this Ethiopian note I bought a while back. I have my suspicions that it could be a fake of some kind, or a test or pattern note. When Comparing it to the regular notes (Side note, I think this note has been listed twice in the catalogue) https://en.numista.com/catalogue/note268218.html https://en.numista.com/catalogue/note297436.html but comparing them to my note, there is no serial number and the windows above Haile Selassie's portrait and the one where the serial number should be are not coloured the same and there is no pattern inside of them. I tried to look up any possible counterfeits but I couldn't find anything and this note looks like it's been circulated a lot, so I don't know what this could be. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated.
It could also be a note that wasn't issued (some kind of remainder) and wasn't destroyed. Some banknotes get there serials only when they are needed. Don't know much about Ethiopian notes to say that this is a real possibility though.
Quote: "Idolenz"​It could also be a note that wasn't issued (some kind of remainder) and wasn't destroyed. Some banknotes get there serials only when they are needed. Don't know much about Ethiopian notes to say that this is a real possibility though.
​-That's a possibility but usually remainders are usually in good shape AU-UNC (whereas this one is very circulated). I was wondering about a colour trial or specimen but I see that they have the 000 serial & specimen type as seen on the Ethiopian examples from the Banknote Index.

Although nobody can say for certain (just eyeballing an image on a computer screen), the $10 does appear legit to me. From the images you have provided, the printing quality looks quite detailed & unlike typical copies. However, the real "litmus test" would be to examine this note in person & actually feel the paper.

So, if it is legit (which I think it is) than it is an amazing missing serial # error on an already scarce note! Great find @Emperorludwig1999!
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphilycculture/collecting-banknotes

Hello, here are some closer up pics of the note. My main concern still is with the windows in the last 2 images as there is no colour and no design in them, but maybe some examples don't have that I'm not sure. Makes me wish I had a regular one to compare the two with. Either way if this does turn out to be a copy or counterfeit, then it's a pretty good one.
I understand. I have seen serial numbers removed from 1954 Bank of Canada $1.00 a couple times. Here's a post re: the One Dollar note in question & I came across two which had the serial numbers removed (but unlike the post the backs were printed/seen). Usually, after these serial numbers are removed one sees a bit of red left over & they're always on very circulated notes (not unlike the one posted at Collectors Universe). I see a slight bit of red on your close up (upper panel) & lower panel over the 'O' around the 'ETHIOPIA' under print which seems a bit suspicious. There is under print on the left upper panel in the legit note pictured whereas your note has no under print on the upper left panel (suspicious).

The good news is that the upper right serial number panel seen on the low # 3 note used at the Bank Note Museum (& Numista) shows no under print for P-14a & your note shows planchettes in the close ups too. (P-14b does show under print on the upper right panel). So I'm pretty sure your note is legit (not a fake) but the question remains whether it is a legit 'error with no serials' or whether it was fabricated error (indeed possible) since the left panel's under print is missing (which suggests it was removed when the serial #'s were removed).

I actually think that those red marks are just the dots which are used as a security feature of the note. You can see them on the first image of a regular one and on the back of mine. It looks even more clear once you hold the note up to the light. I never really thought of the possibility of it being a fake error however. It's good to know it's more likely real than fake. I wonder what something like this would be worth if it was a genuine error
"I actually think that those red marks are just the dots which are used as a security feature of the note."

Yes, the planchettes point to it being legit. Usually the colour of the planchettes does not spread into the surrounding paper (unless the paper has been treated with something). Typically, it's some chemical (solvent) that may allow the removal of the serials (which in turn can erase the micro & under print design). That's why I'm suspicious of the serial numbers being removed.
Ahhh, I see what you mean now. This is one of the strangest notes in my collection. I wonder if there is some way I can get this authenticated. I almost didn't buy this note originally because I suspected it could be fake, but now I'm happy I decided to go through it it. I don't think I paid too much for it originally.
Quote: "EmperorLudwig1999"​Ahhh, I see what you mean now. This is one of the strangest notes in my collection. I wonder if there is some way I can get this authenticated. I almost didn't buy this note originally because I suspected it could be fake, but now I'm happy I decided to go through it it. I don't think I paid too much for it originally.
​If it were me, I'd leave it 'as is,' since authentication means submitting to TPG & that's pretty costly. They will then have to document what they suspect happened (the serials & colour under prints removed) which in turn lowers the appeal (hence the overall value should you decide to sell). If you do decide to sell it you can use your photos (esp with backlit one) to show the planchettes & let the buyer know that you believe the serials were removed but that its legit due to the intact microprint (in other regions) & planchettes.
I think it's real and I think it's an error note (missing serial number). If you look at the three types shown in the following link, you'll see only the second and third notes have a design in the "windows."

http://www.banknote.ws/COLLECTION/countries/AFR/ETH/ETH0014.htm
Quote: "Serial_Number_8"
Quote: "EmperorLudwig1999"​Ahhh, I see what you mean now. This is one of the strangest notes in my collection. I wonder if there is some way I can get this authenticated. I almost didn't buy this note originally because I suspected it could be fake, but now I'm happy I decided to go through it it. I don't think I paid too much for it originally.
​​If it were me, I'd leave it 'as is,' since authentication means submitting to TPG & that's pretty costly. They will then have to document what they suspect happened (the serials & colour under prints removed) which in turn lowers the appeal (hence the overall value should you decide to sell). If you do decide to sell it you can use your photos (esp with backlit one) to show the planchettes & let the buyer know that you believe the serials were removed but that its legit due to the intact microprint (in other regions) & planchettes.
​Yeah, that's probably what I'll end up doing. Either way this note sure is a interesting one. Makes me wonder why someone would remove the serial numbers on such a random note. Either way I appreciate your help. You taught me something about banknotes I didn't even know before. Now I wonder what a note like would be worth.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 23:18.