So I'm doing a type set , however, I'm stumped on whether or not to open my proof and uncirculated sets [solved]

22 posts • viewed 232 times

» Quick access to the last post

So I'm doing a type set , however, I'm stumped on whether or not to open my proof and uncirculated sets to get all my types in one binder.
What would you guys do?
Me, I would never open them.
My collections >
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13560800
also 13750057 also 15924495 also 15995337
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=16060326
I'm still learning a bit, but can you do a type set without proofs?
Quote: "Slipstreamed"​I'm still learning a bit, but can you do a type set without proofs?
​you can but proofs are separate types so you would be adding more types to the folder
I'm probably just going to put in empty flips with the coin information as a permanent place holder
Quote: "silvergeek"​I'm probably just going to put in empty flips with the coin information as a permanent place holder
​Thats exactly what I do. Many of my type sets consist of combination of coins but I never compromise a Proof or UNC in it's origional packaging to put in a flip.
Status changed to Solved (silvergeek, 11-May-2022, 04:24 am)
I always open sets. I collect coins, not packing material :O
They say "Pecunia non olet", but I know better...
Quote: "smvdbrink"​I always open sets. I collect coins, not packing material :O
​I guess that is the right approach...
...you can run,  but you can't hide...

Shame
I never open sets. What’s the point in buying them if you just rip them apart ???
sometimes a nice package improves the value of the set, other times not.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
I only by sets when they are easier (and often even cheaper) to get then single coins. Plastic sheet sets are just to bulky so I take them out.
But I wouldn't take modern proofs out they are just to fickle (I don't collect many proofs and they often come already capsuled anyway, so they aren't a problem).
I bought some South African sets from the 70s and 80s which needed opening to save the coins from PVC damage.
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom, New Zealand & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
In my opinion it should stay in its original packaging unless.
  • The packaging is made out of PVC (as Radrick007 pointed out)
  • you have a duplicate set (either from a job lot or inherited)
  • The set is damaged from being mishandled or things as extreme as water or fire damage.
1972 proof set water damaged



Fire damaged slabbed coins (this can apply for coin sets and proof sets)
Hi to whoever is reading this. Did you know that TYPEWRITER is the longest word you can type using only the letters on one row of the keyboard.
Quote: "Worldwide collection"​In my opinion it should stay in its original packaging unless.

  • The packaging is made out of PVC (as Radrick007 pointed out)

  • you have a duplicate set (either from a job lot or inherited)

  • The set is damaged from being mishandled or things as extreme as water or fire damage.

​1972 proof set water damaged



​Fire damaged slabbed coins (this can apply for coin sets and proof sets)
​man that second photo is Grimm Grimm grimmm
Quote: "Worldwide collection"​In my opinion it should stay in its original packaging unless.​
  • The packaging is made out of PVC (as Radrick007 pointed out)
I keep reading about issues with PVC...
How exactly can you tell if a coin holder is made out of PVC?
Quote: "Kopeika"
Quote: "Worldwide collection"​In my opinion it should stay in its original packaging unless.​

  • The packaging is made out of PVC (as Radrick007 pointed out)


​I keep reading about issues with PVC...
​How exactly can you tell if a coin holder is made out of PVC?
​Silverpicker made two fantastic videos about this topic.;)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4qDPJmGWZbw
Hi to whoever is reading this. Did you know that TYPEWRITER is the longest word you can type using only the letters on one row of the keyboard.
Quote: "Worldwide collection"
Quote: "Kopeika"

Quote: "Worldwide collection"​In my opinion it should stay in its original packaging unless.​
​​

  • The packaging is made out of PVC (as Radrick007 pointed out)
    ​​

​​
​​
​​I keep reading about issues with PVC...
​​How exactly can you tell if a coin holder is made out of PVC?
​​Silverpicker made two fantastic videos about this topic.;)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4qDPJmGWZbw
​love silver pickers channel
Quote: "Worldwide collection"
Quote: "Kopeika"

Quote: "Worldwide collection"​In my opinion it should stay in its original packaging unless.​
​​

  • The packaging is made out of PVC (as Radrick007 pointed out)
    ​​

​​
​​
​​I keep reading about issues with PVC...
​​How exactly can you tell if a coin holder is made out of PVC?
​​Silverpicker made two fantastic videos about this topic.;)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4qDPJmGWZbw
now regarding this some of my pages for my album actually might be pvc but I know the flips I have are not so is it still okay to store my coins in the pages if I have the flip and the layer of not pvc plastic it comes with because of the barrier or would the plastic still give a green sludge to the coin?
I buy Schultz album pages which are pvc free and have neutral acidity
Quote: "Offa"​I buy Schultz album pages which are pvc free and have neutral acidity
​half of my pages are neutral but half aren't because I thought it was the same brand hope the coins will be protected by the flips then
For my rarer and more valuable coins I use lindner trays which are also acid neutral.

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 12:55 am.