Fantasy CSA notes [solved]

10 posts • viewed 79 times

This message aims at: requesting the modification of a banknote in the catalogue

Upvotes: 2
Downvotes: 0

» Quick access to the last post

The following notes don't appear in Pick or on Bank Note Museum.

N#274307

N#248824

N#274313

N#274323

I've seen similar pieces at fairs and, based on condition and price, assumed they were modern fantasy issues. Is anyone able to confirm this so they can be moved to Exonumia?

Former Numista referee for banknotes from Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Saint Helena.

I've seen a dealer once having a stack of those and selling them cheap. Also the condition is always very good for a 150 years old banknote. In my opinion this are not banknotes.

I've searched on line and found packs of replica notes for sale. The images don't show the reverses but it seems highly likely this is the source for these notes. I'll request they be moved to exonumia and add comments linking to them from the notes they resemble.

Former Numista referee for banknotes from Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Saint Helena.

As a collector of US notes, I have seen similar examples of these notes which were replicas. Imho, the notes in the four listings above are replicas which do not correspond to actual notes. As such, I think they should be removed from Numista listings.

Irish banknotes: https://www.irishpapermoney.com - Finnish BanknotesPolish Banknotes

They've already been moved to Exonumia catalog.

Yes, I asked for them to be moved. I think we need to keep them somewhere to warn other collectors against them. Where we have a similar real note listed I've added a link to the replica. I've just looked at the new replica page and the fact it's a replica isn't exactly prominently displayed. Can we do better for this section or should we just modify the titles to make them clearer?

I would suggest using the term ‘Replica’ in the title.

Irish banknotes: https://www.irishpapermoney.com - Finnish BanknotesPolish Banknotes

Most other reproductions have “(Replica)” in the title, so I've requested that be added to these.

The replica mention in title inherited from the old listing style when we had no dedicated exonumia section but it should not be kept for long.

Now, we have a specific “Replica” category in exonumia.

A note can also be added in the general comment section “this note is a replica of…..used for educational purpose or whatever…".

And a link to original note can still go in the “See also” section.

Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.

If the addition of “(Replica)” in the title is to be phased out, can I suggest that something is added prominently to pages in this section so that a viewer can immediately see that this is a replica?

Status changed to Done (Jarcek, 23-Jun-2022, 07:53)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 13:28.