How are cardboard coins made?

4 posts • viewed 155 times

Hello there!

I am wondering how are cardboard coins like this one made: N#119684 I never even held one in hand, so I am curious. I would also like to assign them manufacturing technique, but I am unsure what to assign there or if we are missing something.

Anyone knows something?

Best regards,

Jarek

Catalogue administrator

My guess, and it's a very wild guess, it that the process is similar to making cardboard puzzles that we assembled piece by piece when I was a kid.

They are printed, then stamped out, which is the opposite way of making a coin, which is stamp out first, then press to create design.

I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1

The pieces (card-discs) were punched out o a aprox 1 o 1,2 mm thick sheet of cardboard. At the same time, the arms of the Republic were printed with blue or black ink on the brown-reddish revers; the outer ink circle should be incused. The light brown or beige obverse was kept free to paste a postage stamp (new, not postmarked!!!) of the desired/needed value on it.

These necessity coins were produced by the Spanish Mint (Fábrica Nacional de Monedas y Timbres) first in  Madrid, later in Aspe, Alicante.

The card coins were demonetized in 1939.

Regards

Pecuniae imperare oportet, non servire

I purchased “cardboard” (used for shipping finished product) and “boxboard” (containing the food) for a small frozen food company, some years back.  Also, worked in a continuous steam explosion lab trying to convert odd-ball (non-wood) fibres into the “flute” of cardboard boxes (long story).

In short, I don't think “cardboard” is the best description.  You might try “fibre board”.  But still, manufacturing natural fibres into usable material would be like trying to describe all the compositions of coins and then some.  

Good luck.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Topic moved to "Exonumia information and questions" (ZacUK, 29-Sep-2022, 22:20)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 20:08.