Token v. Ekonumia and coin

6 posts • viewed 201 times

what is the difference between token and exonumia

eks. Danish westindia privat coin is it token or exonumia. it was probably some kind of means of payment at that time

I think that the difference is that exonumia is is a blanket term for any numismatic item that doesn't classify as a coin. All tokens are forms of exonumia, but not all exonumia is a token.

In my opinion, a token is a coin mend for payment of specific services or goods, not nescesarely issued by a goverment.
Exonumia are any type of numismatic items NOT ment for payment of any sort, but rather for decoration, remembering

or fund-raising.

...you can run,  but you can't hide...

yvon

In my opinion, a token is a coin mend for payment of specific services or goods, not nescesarely issued by a goverment.
Exonumia are any type of numismatic items NOT ment for payment of any sort, but rather for decoration, remembering

or fund-raising.

Cause Numista have own specially imagination for exonumia. For example Columbian leprosarium coins are in incorrectly in exonumia site.

Have a nice weekend colleagues.

You have opened up a problem that does not have the same attitude worldwide ( he is not the only one ).

Wikipedia says something, encyclopedia of numismatics something else, and something else is practiced on ,, numista ,,. I have my own experience with this-I know the issuing authority of the coin, modern imitation of a non-existent coin-token from a once existing country. And it is an exonumy from an unknown land.

https://wikijii.com/wiki/Exonumia

https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Token

My book ,, Encyclopedia of Numismatics ,,:

Token: Description of the token as the means of payment that was,a voucher of monetary value ( payable to the consignee in the goods) issued by private persons at a time of lack of funds of the 17th-18th centuries, copper or bronze money stamp.Smaller values.

Exonumie:

just the first sentence-Collecting numismatic items ( žeton, medals, tokens) which resemble coins or banknotes, however, which are not official statutory payment means. Also study and anatomical variants of coins.

So our position is not completely unified, not even the compiler understands the difference between a žeton and a token-and it is written in the encyclopedia.

This opinion is closest to my idea and I agree, but I would like to spice it up and declare it to the numist so that there is no doubt for us:

,, yvon,,

,, In my opinion, a token is a coin mend for payment of specific services or goods, not nescesarely issued by a goverment.

or fund-raising.,,

Ahoj Ivan

All these categories are not a hundred percent sharply separable.

Numista puts all official issues and some privately made token coinage which was widely accepted as a substitutional currency (mostly the case for modern issues) under coins and art objects like medals, tokens/jetons used for very specific uses under exonumia (there we also have tokens like the mentioned leprosy colony as well has POW tokens that could only be used extremely limited and were often not issued by the state nor was their value guaranteed). 

But under coins we also have stuff that was never intended and will never be used as currency like NCLTs and proof issues etc. 

We had at one point three categories Coins/Token/Exonumia before the split of Coins and Exonumia and what we have now is a compromise … that will never satisfy everybody, but such is life. 

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 01:48.