What grade would you call this?

14 posts • viewed 287 times

» Quick access to the last post

Hi all,

I was just wondering if you would grade this coin as UNC , I’ve bought quite a few pieces from a seller without actually seeing the coins and he told me they were all UNC. 

this is one example of many which I feel are not UNC.

Hi! Dear Numista member,it is difficult to grade a coin as fully uncirculated(MS) only from photos! But the 5 shillings coin you show us can be an AU. It has mint luster.

Wow, not even close. This ridiculous claim of UNC simply insults the intelligence of any serious collector with even rudimentary grading skills. XF at best, circulation wear is evident, and this coin has obvious signs of cleaning. Lustre means nothing until you get to coins into the higher mint state grades. 

XF max by mentioning that the coin have nasty nicks also.

With all those scratches, a vf+ is all from me

Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com

thanks all I agree with the VF/XF - have many coins similar which were all sold to me as UNC. Will contact the seller and see what he can do. 

VF+. Clearly circulated, but retains some lustre.

Definitly no UNC, but still a nice coin.

...you can run,  but you can't hide...

The seller was not helpful at all and insisted the  “Coin has been harshly cleaned. Long shallow scratches. Was unc before cleaning. Now au.”

It was sold to me as UNC with no mention of cleaning whatsoever. 

I did not want to do this but the seller is actually on this site, so if you are thinking about buying coins from erniemix in the future maybe think twice. He will insist you pay with PayPal friends and family and then send you a load of coins which he has called ‘UNC’ that are XF at best. 

Insisting on doing PayPal friends and family is an instant red-flag.  Can't abide.

Slipstreamed

Insisting on doing PayPal friends and family is an instant red-flag.  Can't abide.

I would kindly disagree about the “red flag” when proposing to trade on Numista with PayPal friends. I have proposed it several times myself. You have an option to rate the swap/trade, and save on money transfer which can get expensive. And if there are any problems, a seller should simply send some money back.

iiruig

Slipstreamed

I would kindly disagree about the “red flag” when proposing to trade on Numista with PayPal friends. I have proposed it several times myself. You have an option to rate the swap/trade, and save on money transfer which can get expensive. And if there are any problems, a seller should simply send some money back.

Oh, a proposal is quite different than insisting.  I'm just saying that a seller would lose my business if that was the only option in which they would accept payment.

VF or VF+. Be aware of overgrading; everyone has been guilty of it in the past

Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.

Without reading the thread, imho, gVF. It is nice, but lots of circulation scratches.

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 08:18 pm.