I found this in my change and it looks like a proof, what do you think?

9 posts • viewed 246 times

It is definitly nice and shiny, but proof, I do not know..

...you can run,  but you can't hide...

2020 dated 20p, 50p and pound coins were withheld from circulation until very recently due to the pandemic and all the hoarded coins during the pandemic were used again after restrictions were lifted.

But for some reason mine is in worst condition than yours so possibly mine was from a BUNC set that was broken up and spent in 2020.

Hi to whoever is reading this. Did you know that TYPEWRITER (on a QWERTY keyboard) is the longest word you can type using only the letters on one row of the keyboard.

Very pretty.

We certainly don't get such nice-looking coins in change here in the US. I'm jealous.

Kopeika

Very pretty.

We certainly don't get such nice-looking coins in change here in the US. I'm jealous.

Oddly, I got a 2004 near-perfect uncirculated (in appearance) coin from the change at Wal-Mart two days ago.  Craziest thing!  It was even Denver Mint and I'm on the east coast.

yvon

It is definitly nice and shiny, but proof, I do not know..

Got another one in my change so I think it's just a normal one

Modern proofs usually have the higher details in a frosted look (aka cameo). That's certainly the case for UK coinage as well.

If it's shiny all over, like your coin, then it's not a proof.

I found this link, which shows the normal and the proof version:

https://onlinecoin.club/Coins/Country/United_Kingdom/One_Pound_2020/

Kopeika

Very pretty.

I thought it was the opposite because from what I’ve seen from coin roll hunts they get several older us coins 50s-80s in UNC condition while here it’s mostly the 1p and 2ps.

Hi to whoever is reading this. Did you know that TYPEWRITER (on a QWERTY keyboard) is the longest word you can type using only the letters on one row of the keyboard.

For reference the Current pound coins loses its lustre fairly quickly when it starts circulating here is the comparison from my wallet to the one son my collection (with some older round pounds shown).

For some reason it’s uncommon to find older and higher denomination coins in high grade, apart from plated steel post 2010 5p and 10p pieces although some 1997 £2 are in better condition due to misinformation saying that’s rare but there is around 13 million of them so that tale is incorrect and most 2015 Technologies are in good condition because most of them weren’t put into circulation until  2020-2021.

On rare occasions I have found some 50ps in high grade, here is a few (ignore the 69 chunky 50p and the off centre one those were left there by accident).

Finally although it’s rare, it’s not impossible to find pre 1997 £2 coins in circulation. Which were minted for collectors only but due to them being the same diameter and weight to the current ones they can sneak past when bagged up and sent to the bank, the only different is the thickness on the older ones so they would be rejected in Coinstars and vending machines.

Wish me luck on hunting 1000ish pennies for copper, foreigns and proofs, I can see a Gibraltar one on the top!😎

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 06:02.