Belgian token - 50 wapper 1961- 1981 - value ?

9 posts • viewed 138 times

» Quick access to the last post

Hello Numista members,

I'm posting this question for a friend that bumped onto this Rare Token when he was Tidy'ing up !!

Any info whatsoever is very mutch appreciated 🧐

I will post the pictures of the token to begin with:

This is actually an unfinished Manicupal Token from Flanders, Belgium.

You can find pictures of the same but Finished token here:

N#313030

You can see that my friend's item has no “50 Wapper” and "No Date" on Reverse…

Now here's where it get's interesting, hold on 😉

This token, according to multiple catalog references, is made in Rhodium !!

An extremely rare material but also extremely Expensive !!

Rhodium >>>(= 426,84 €/gram)<<<

This is what I found about this token, as a finished piece, not the one shown in my friends pictures.

As you can see there's also a “20 Wapper” made of Patinated Bronze.

But it's the 50 Wapper that's more of interest !

Trade Tokens/Local Administration
Municipal Token from Flanders, Belgium

Country = Belgium
Year = 1981
Engraver = Paul Huybrechts (PH)
Weight = 15.8 gram
Size = 35.2 mm
Thikness = 2.5 mm
Composition = Rhodium >>>(= 426,84 €/gram)<<<
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodium

Current Value based on Comp+Weight = 6.744,072 EUR ???

Occasion = 20 Years "BVMG" = "Professional Association of Master Engravers"
Valid between Nov 15, 1981 - Dec 31, 1981
Trade Value anno 1981 = 400 BEF (Franc) = 10 EUR

Info from catalog by © Marc Willemans 2019 = GMJ# 1981/107b (Rest in Peace)

So now is the time when I hope people can inform me about this odd item !  😲

Actually not for me but my mentor would like to know if he must buy a Safe for storage or maybe have a nice vacation, I dunno…

So please shout if you have a clue !!

Cheerz

doc

Forgive me if I lack the excitement you seem to have about what this actually is. I see far too many assumptions and conclusions that are clearly not correct. Actual composition to start. Fineness second, value of Rhodium third. According to multiple catalog references? Lets start with what you actually have in hand.

harryg

Forgive me if I lack the excitement you seem to have about what this actually is. I see far too many assumptions and conclusions that are clearly not correct. Actual composition to start. Fineness second, value of Rhodium third. According to multiple catalog references? Lets start with what you actually have in hand.

Ah I seem to have messed up the screenshot from the catalog…

I'll try again !

You should be able too zoom onto this pic i took where it's discribed as b. Rhodium

I came across the same info when looking into another catalog.

Regarding the value of Rhodium, that's what I found online at Dutch websites.

Sorry can't forward English values as I don't really understand the “oz” part 😁

No worries… Still excited over here …

You have no evidence of what your example is made of nor it's finess  Even so according to you, your examples entire weight is about half an ounce. Rhodium value today is about 14,436 Euro an ounce. Even if your assumptions are correct the value would be half that. For that kind of money,  nobody just makes assumptions.  Bullion coins that are made of Rhodium are few and limited, and certainly display it's metal content and fineness. They are produced and targeted for investors. You just don't "bump into" high value coins intended for the bullion investment market. 

https://www.metalsdaily.com/live-prices/pgms/

Edit. Perhaps a “pattern” coin made of a different composition for a proposed Rhodium coin that was never produced.

When i look at your friends item i see a medal, not an unfinished token. 

But the “finished token” is mentioned on this website as I said before:

N#313030

Agreed, it looks like prices vary according to certains parts of the world…

I did my findings, if I remeber correctly, at a Belgian News article, but oké it's dated 2020, stating that Rhodium is the most expensive material around the world…

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2020/12/15/rodium/

Translation:

About 16,100 dollars or more than 13,200 euros: you have to put that much on the table today to buy 1 ounce (about 30 grams) of rhodium, more than double the price at the beginning of 2020. This makes it currently the most expensive precious metal in the world, much more expensive than gold, palladium and platinum.

Regarding the quality of the token I forgot to mention that it's Proof  quality but unknown mintage as far as I know.

Also the item was sold in a blue velvet case… Many years ago…

@Beekeeper Please take a look on the Finished item shown right here on Numista, click link above.

Same token, only “50 Wapper” and “Circulation date” are not engraved on my buddy's item.

Marc Willemans, who has written the catalogue, has made it it's life work to describe all possible tokens of Belgium.

Unfortunatly he passed away, I believe it was 2 years ago.

He really studied all numistic libraries he could and gathered info from Numistic societies.

I'm pretty certain he covered almost every item possible in his paperwork.

You see at the screenshot that total mintage is unknown, so yes this is possible a trial or pattern,

but the 50 Wapper is made in Rhodium as far as he knew at the time. (2019)

Is there maybe a way to calculate the difference for let's say this token in Silver and Rhodium ?

My friend has measured the same numbers as is stated at the “Finished” token page here on Numista.

Could be a Proof token in Silver ?

In that case there must be a difference in wheight to as this is possible a token in Rhodium…

Appologies for not communicating in 100% perfect English language… 

I'm a Dutchman from Belgium 😉

Regards,

doc

An XRF analyzer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PHmpGDamOo

Your pictures show a well struck medal which is commemorating an event. Numista shows a municipal token with value and a good till date. Two completely different items. You should also consider that a medal was also produced. Is there any markings on the edge of your medal?

Beekeeper

Your pictures show a well struck medal which is commemorating an event. Numista shows a municipal token with value and a good till date. Two completely different items. You should also consider that a medal was also produced. Is there any markings on the edge of your medal?         

I should also mention why I call them 2 different items. If you look at your medal there are 2 courses of brick on top of the engraved looking plaque. On the token there are none.

Topic moved to "Exonumia identifications and valuations" (ZacUK, 8-Sep-2022, 15:27)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 08:37.