Queen Elizabeth II is dead

19 posts • viewed 593 times

» Quick access to the last post

BBC News

Oh boy. Now were about to see a bunch of new coin types.

Do we hoard the existing 2022 coins and bills as we wait for Charles effigy to be sent around the world or have they already prepared the dies and will start right away?

I'm honestly not sure a lot of countries will put Charles on their coins. That may go away with her death. Non UK obviously they'll keep them, but the others will make a change I think.

mlong2181

I'm honestly not sure a lot of countries will put Charles on their coins. That may go away with her death. Non UK obviously they'll keep them, but the others will make a change I think.

Belize is still minting coins with 26 year old Elizabeth II, what prevents them from continuing this practice? I suppose that some countries may continue using Elizabeth´s portraits, as it was with Maria Theresia thalers.

Jamaica still issued banknotes in 1962 with the effigy of George VI on them 

I believe official policy is to not change the coins until 1 January of the next year. However, I do wonder if the Charles III effigy was prepared in advance.

How long does a mint need to make a change like this anyway?

No news is good news.

Between 10 and 20 minutes to change the dies and adjust them.

IF they made new dies in advance and that is nearly a given (my guess its not a design with bat ears) … ‘London Bridge is down’ was prepared many years ago.

They had to wait to know what the King's ruling name would be…

I was curious, so I did a bit of investigating.  As best I can determine from the Numista database, Queen Elizabeth II has a type set of 1,597 distinct circulating coins.   By far the largest personal type set in history.  I think her great grandmother Victoria has the second largest at around 200 coins.  Not sure who third place is.  It may be George Washington thanks to all the recent quarter designs.

mwilensk

I was curious, so I did a bit of investigating.  As best I can determine from the Numista database, Queen Elizabeth II has a type set of 1,597 distinct circulating coins.   By far the largest personal type set in history.  I think her great grandmother Victoria has the second largest at around 200 coins.  Not sure who third place is.  It may be George Washington thanks to all the recent quarter designs.

Rama IX in Thailand: 240 regular and circulating commemorative coins

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?e=thailande&r=&ct=coin&im1=&im2=&tb=y&tc=y&cat=y&ru=1905&ca=3&no=&v=&i=&b=&d=&u=&a=&dg=&m=&f=&t=&w=&mt=&g=&se=&c=&wi=&sw=

ciscoins

Rama IX in Thailand: 240 regular and circulating commemorative coins

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?e=thailande&r=&ct=coin&im1=&im2=&tb=y&tc=y&cat=y&ru=1905&ca=3&no=&v=&i=&b=&d=&u=&a=&dg=&m=&f=&t=&w=&mt=&g=&se=&c=&wi=&sw=

Thank you for bringing Rama IX to my attention.  Got any others?  I may do a personal type set presentation for my local coin group.

ThePoet

Do we hoard the existing 2022 coins and bills as we wait for Charles effigy to be sent around the world or have they already prepared the dies and will start right away?

The British press recently stated that Charles refused to sit for an effigy while EIIR was alive. 

mwilensk

Thank you for bringing Rama IX to my attention.  Got any others?  I may do a personal type set presentation for my local coin group.

Franz Joseph I of Austria and Austria-Hungary: 148 coins

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?r=&ct=coin&im1=&im2=&tb=y&tc=y&cat=y&ru=754&ca=3&no=&v=&i=&b=&d=&u=&a=&dg=&m=&f=&t=&w=&mt=&g=&se=&c=&wi=&sw=

Queen Victoria: 202 coins

And don´t forget John Paul II: supposedly 135 circulating types, though they rarely circulated

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?mode=avance&p=1&ru=1522&ct=coin&e=vatican

All other long reigning monarchs had less than 100 coin types.

And if you count just effigies on coins of all periods (like that of George Washington after his death), then don´t forget about Simón Bolívar for example. But that is much harder to count because not all coins have his name in the description.

Edward 8th was king for a year I think and no coins where made I think it takes a while I know you can still buy some coins with 2023 on that have come out

Hey

Lance-51

Edward 8th was king for a year I think and no coins where made I think it takes a while I know you can still buy some coins with 2023 on that have come out

King Edward VIII had coins struck with his name on which circulated - but none with his portrait on them, other than a few pattern British brass 3 Pence coins dated 1937, which escaped into circulation instead of being melted down at the Royal Mint in London.

I look forward to King Charles III's portrait on coins - even if they are on coins not from New Zealand yet.

Aidan.

Her Majesty has been laid to rest along side her husband Prince Philip (who have been moved from the royal vault since April 2021) in King George VI‘s chapel at Windsor castle (the chapel was built in 1969 in Preparation for the death of her family George VI was buried there 17 years after his death) and where the Queen mother and her Majesty’s sister was buried in 2002.

REST IN PEACE Queen Elizabeth II 

21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022

First and last two photos of the Queen (first one taken in early May of 1926 and the last two taken on the 6th of September 2022 while appointing her 15th Prime minister Liz Truss).

Hi to whoever is reading this. Did you know that TYPEWRITER (on a QWERTY keyboard) is the longest word you can type using only the letters on one row of the keyboard.

Ben-jamin

BBC News

Oh boy. Now were about to see a bunch of new coin types.

FYI :

https://www.coinnews.net/2022/09/19/png-be-wary-of-king-charles-iii-pretender-coins/

The three main culprits are the koin klub, London mint office and the Bradford exchamgr. all are notorious for selling worthless tat as supposedly real coins. That said Westminster are almost as bad the company that sold legal tender 50pence coins from the Pitcairn Islands, even thought the Pitcairn Islands curre is in New Zealand dollars and cents. 

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 09:06 pm.