Cleaning coins

6 posts
I would like to have ideas and views of forum users on the subject of coin cleaning and whether it should be cleaned at all or left with grime and greenish growth on. What is the value loss if we clean coins which are already used up many years till some one decided to collect and save it in a box or album.

As a collector, I love to see coins clean and neat and good to see. Even if scratches become visible after cleaning the grime collected on cracks, it seems worth doing it.

If people do clean - please share how you do it.

<just starting an old topic probably discussed before>

Moved by ZacUK from Swaps and trades to Numismatic questions
V. Nagarajan
well electolisis is an option but more times than not washing up liquid and some baking soda works well.
Chuching!
I've just posted about it a week or so ago, I don't think coins should be cleaned atall unless they are ruined or you can't tell what they are, I've done this via the electrolysis way using a mix of bi-carbonate soda and lemon juice. I've done it 3 times.. Twice on copper and once on silver (40's rupee had been buried in the ground forever) both yielded good results the thing to watch out for on copper cleaning is that oftern the patina is all that is left of the coin :(

The coins in my collection do shine like diamonds - even the 2000 year old ones.
I do use cheap vinegar, cold water and soap.
It works perfect for all kind of coins, except the iron/steel ones.
Cents are money too!
I use Tamarind paste to dissolve a pinch in a cup of water, soak coins for 2-3 min and remove wash well with fresh water and soap. Then i dry them well and rub with soft cloth and rubbing alcohol which makes them shine.

But the thing is after i store them in cellophane cover and album, it looses the shine within a matter of weeks. They are cleaned of grime but dull. Copper gets its brown tint back. But no greens on copper any more.

Tamarind- is a fruit from a tree which is sour in taste and is used widely in cooking in Indian dishes (a must). It is slightly acidic which does not corrode metals at all. But copper cannot be soaked more than 1-2 min as you might loose copper from coin. Just remove it when the grime is clear.

warm regard
V. Nagarajan
Coin, water, towel.

I don't want my coins to disintegrate into dust by using chemicals or brushes or whatnot.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 19:31.