Luzern currency [solved]

6 posts • viewed 88 times

This message aims at: requesting the creation or the modification of a currency or denomination in the catalogue

Upvotes: 2
Downvotes: 0

Hello

I suggest the addition of the following description for the "Neuthaler (1774-1797)" currency of Luzern (#8775):

1 New Thaler = 3 Guldens = 4 Francs = 40 Batzens = 120 Schillings = 160 Kreutzers = 360 Rappen = 720 Angster • 1 Duplone = 2⅕ Ducats ≈ 4 Thalers = 12 Guldens

I also suggest the name be changed to "New Thaler (1773-1797)". The New Thaler was technically introduced in 1793, but the small coins minted since 1773 continued to circulate. Also, the current name "Neuthaler" is misspelt. In German, it should be "Neutaler".

thank you

If those subdivisions are correct, then the valuations of the coins must be wrong. For example, this 40 batzen has the value 3 when it ought to be 1 according to your list. It seems that the coins are valued in Gulden, not Neuthaler, so presumably these will need fixing too?

Also, where's the evidence that the denomination name was spelt “Neutaler”? That looks like a neologism based on a spelling reform implemented long after these coins were issued.

Former Numista referee for banknotes from Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Saint Helena.

Bump on questions here?

Catalogue administrator

Compendium

Bump on questions here?

I am not sure how those questions are relevant to my request. My request does not change the currency, it just suggests that it should be named according to the guidelines:

2.5.1. Splitting currencies

[…]

All currencies are listed in English in the database, according to the main listings (not alternative forms) of Oxford English Dictionary and Wiktionary.com.

The subdivisions are according to Wielandt LU#, which is in German and calls the currency Neutaler.

My bump was more about the valuations of the coins linked to it. I agree with your rewording anyway

Catalogue administrator

The Canton's name should be ‘Lucerne’, as that is what it is known as internationally.

The same applies to the city's name as well.

Aidan.

Status changed to Done (Compendium, 27-Jan-2023, 14:50)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 06:21.