Dime 1888 S - error in date ?

12 posts • viewed 147 times

» Quick access to the last post

Can someone please coment this dime from 1888 S . The coin puzzled me because the last number in the date ,resembles  " 3 " but I checke it and I was surprised to find out tath there are no 1883 S dimes .May this be considered for a some type of variation and is this rare ?

Can you take macro photo without the cover on the coin, it's blurred now, you might have noticed?

Globetrotter
Coin varieties in French:
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com

I checked Cherry Pickers' guide (4th Edition) by Bill Fivaz and J.T. Stanton. Nothing in it. Looks like post mint damage to me.

Referee for Exonumia from United States

I hope this images are bit little clearer than the previous ones.  These  are the most good quality photos I could make with the equipment I own. I can't say wath  may have caused this, but the shape of the number is different ,from other dimes I have encountered. 

It's an 8. May be due to PMD or a little filled die error.  An 1883 would look like this:

It is definitely a little confusing but I personally think it has been stamped at least three times.  There's the 1883 with another 1883 to the left and above just a little bit and then there's one where the entire date is offset one character to the left.  See the complete “1” left of the main one.  Very interesting, thanks for the share.

Jimmy K

It is definitely a little confusing but I personally think it has been stamped at least three times.  There's the 1883 with another 1883 to the left and above just a little bit and then there's one where the entire date is offset one character to the left.  See the complete “1” left of the main one.  Very interesting, thanks for the share.

Not confusing at all. Absolutely no doubling on this date or anywhere else on this coin. None. Simple wear and shadows due to the extreme close up and overexposed lighting. 

Jimmy K

It is definitely a little confusing but I personally think it has been stamped at least three times.  

If that were true, how do you explain that it took 134 years for the very first one with the wrong date to be found???  

It's an 8 and not all that interesting.

rsirian1

Jimmy K

It is definitely a little confusing but I personally think it has been stamped at least three times.  

If that were true, how do you explain that it took 134 years for the very first one with the wrong date to be found???  

It's an 8 and not all that interesting.

In France they might call it an “open” 8, if more than one had been found! I have seen real open 8's from Mexico, but here I would say, it's just an EIGHT.

Globetrotter

It just said that it looked me like the number “3”. 

I agree with Sjoelund tath maybe it's more appropriat to call it a"open"8, but still I can't be sure whether this is real minting error or not,

taths why a was curious to learn more about the coin. 

penko-to

It just said that it looked me like the number “3”. 

I agree with Sjoelund tath maybe it's more appropriat to call it a"open"8, but still I can't be sure whether this is real minting error or not,

taths why a was curious to learn more about the coin. 

Read Rsirian's last comment, only one coin doesn't make a variant, so many years after its entering in circulation!

Globetrotter

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 15:55.