Silver or Gold? This is what you could have!

57 posts

» Quick access to the last post

what would you prefer?   
Inspired by this question, https://en.numista.com/forum/topic12089.html

Silver hoard

or gold coin

Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Then again, quality is better than quantity.
Holy crap is that hoard yours?

Cause there's a Bavarian Madonna Thaler in there.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
Quote: SmartOneKgHoly crap is that hoard yours?

Cause there's a Bavarian Madonna Thaler in there.
I know that, and yes, the coin is his!
That gold coin is worth easily 2000 euros.  :snif:
My coins collection seems so small now. :snif:
First of all, this is simply a gold silver question, no quality/quantity argument. these are equal value. Second, there is a ton of Quality in both photos, but any quality the first photo is lacking it does make up in quantity.

6 eagles, 3 bars
8 silver dollars
15 us halves
 49 quarters
 five dime rolls
 and Yes, My Bavarian Thaler

My Grandfather left me the Gold coin, I am very blessed.

sorry for my poor photography.
Kommodore, keep in mind I have been collecting since I was 5, I am 30.
 Also some advice, always be willing to walk away from a deal be patient, in time it will come and grow.
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Yeah, that keeps me going...I only have 3 years of collecting :)
Anyways I prefer quantity over quality (in coins/banknotes).
Oh, and a mint condition set

I would rather have a few good quality silver coins if I'm honest, as the only gold coins I'm interested in is the mohur, but there are A LOT of silver coins that would progress my collection further :)
I used to go for quality over quantity. Now, I have neither. After years of collecting, my coin safe is empty.
Fun fact guys:

Silver is rarer than gold, if you gathered up all the metals in the world. I mean, the reason why gold is so expensive is because of hereditary value when you think about it. That's why gold was so cheap compared to silver in Japan because we thought silver was much more valuable.

Plus silver is cool to look at.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
Apparently the total amount of gold mined ever is equivalent to only 2 Olympic sized swimming pools.
I don't think gold means quality really, I think silver coins are a lot more appealing, but as I say for the price you can get more high grade and scarce silver. If it comes to it being the same amount of money for one piece of each I would get the gold mohur; if it wasn't a mohur I would go for the silver :)
These are both beautiful; I would rather have the gold Helvetia rather than 700 of the other.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces23261.html

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces6595.html

Yeah I also think Silver is just more attractive, but that doesn´t mean that there wouldn´t be any Gold coin I want. My two dream gold coins are also the Indian Victoria Mohur and this one https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces21867.html
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
That's not what I mean though, I would rather have silver 20 qirsh, colonial crowns, a rixdollar, a 1780X Maria Theresa thaler, a British trade dollar, Straits dollar etc no doubles of any than one gold mohur.
Well, if it's dream coinage we're talking about it has to be this one for me:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces24472.html
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
Quote: apukingYeah I also think Silver is just more attractive, but that doesn´t mean that there wouldn´t be any Gold coin I want. My two dream gold coins are also the Indian Victoria Mohur and this one https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces21867.html
Totally agree, and I think that German East Africa coin is amazing, love the elephant
Numista referee for Canada and Estonia.
Wow, German east Africa, Awesome coins, I have never seen them before. I do love the raging bull Elephant, I also love the helmet.  
 https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces17045.html

Radrick, Why that coin?

Quote: redsmithstudiosRadrick, Why that coin?
I'm fascinated by the history of South Africa and its coinage and the Burgers Pond was KM#1, the first strike of the South African Republic. Also, I love it because it's 8g of 22K gold with a total mintage between the two varieties of less than 1,000, meaning that short of a serious win on the lottery, I'm never going to own one - but I can dream :`
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
Gold is always the dream.
Time to look for some more silver

I love silver, I prefer silver to gold to look at.  Of course if someone offered me a single silver or a single gold coin I would take the gold one without delay....then turn around and sell it so I could buy a crap-load of silver.

Looks like I'm going to be on the lookout for more silver too.  Luckily I listed a pile of silver online a few days before the price plumetted and they already had bids on them.
Based on what I see in the two photos, I would choose the gold piece.
Kind of a silver guy myself.  More variety and more history for the same amount of money.
"What we are is not as important as what we aren't"
I lean towards silver as it has more of a circulating history where gold would not have circulated nearly as much. However it would certainly depend on what silver was going to be sold or traded for gold simply because a Gold Coast tackoe or ackey is worth more than a sovereign. I would get rid of some other stuf like Maria theresa Thalers shillings and 1/2 crowns for a nice "C" mint sovereign. I would also love a mohur E.I.C. and a spade guinea !
I answered before looking at the pictures.  After looking at them I would definitely take the silver.  The gold one isn't even a coin, it's just a bullion piece.
Quote: redsmithstudiosInspired by this question, https://en.numista.com/forum/topic12089.html

Silver hoard

or gold coin

In frame of thought I'd much rather have silver gold is too well gold is just so mundane.
remember i for i coins
swap list under reconstruction!
I held a Krugerrand in my hand the other day. It was beautiful. But, I'm not ready for gold coins yet. I love silver coins because they are ready for me and the toning is really pleasant.
Quote: C.john
Quote: redsmithstudiosInspired by this question, https://en.numista.com/forum/topic12089.html

Silver hoard

or gold coin

In frame of thought I'd much rather have silver gold is too well gold is just so mundane.
Plus in all truth I am afraid of gold to a point - don't ask me why, I really don't know why. z)
remember i for i coins
swap list under reconstruction!
Depends on the coin, but usually gold.

Quote: redsmithstudiosSilver hoard

That coin out there sitting by itself... is that a Bavarian Thaler?
Gold without a doubt, they are much more collectable and the fact that there is a lot less gold coins in comparison to silver. I do like silver also as I have many great silver coins but gold is no'1 for me. Just wish I could afford more of them.
I would say silver, but gold has its place.You can sell silver anywhere. But gold being alot more money and the change to lose alot of it value in a fast sell.No one going to say anything if and old fart sell a silver dollar for 20 to 30 dollars And no record.Were gold  people will sit up and notice.When my wife was dieing i took some bad hits.I did not have time to sell It was fast sell.Need to take care of her ,work, get meds, and pay bills. So silver save me.Silver to me is great short term and long term invesment. Were gold is a long term investment.
I would say have both if possible.Iam funny in the fact. I dont like for people to know what i have when it comes to this.Its my safty net. So just think it though on what you want to hold.
               yours daryl
edit sorry about spelling but think of it this way Your wife pain meds are going to run out in 2 days and you dont get paid for three What are you going to do? You are working at night wife sis is help at nights. You are up most of the day taking care of her, the house taking to doc and getting meds. You have no time to sell right.Silver is easy to sell almost any were.

It is, what it is, or is it.
Oh for the people quality over quantity. If you have to sell fast. Would you rather sell circulated silver or poof silver at melt value. Here in the US i would say have 5 to 10 lbs of silver cirucalated. just for "needs"
And Gold coins if you have to sell fast. You can lose 1/3 of its value. I know So take some time and think this one out
Well I prefer quality so I would sell a single small copper coin worth more than 100 oz of pure silver hundred ounces of silver.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
I hope you can, I had to sell one time 10 US half dollars below 1870's for just above melt value.  If everything goes to sh@t who going to want copper for that much
 All iam saying is never have all your eggs in one basket. Its a good way to lose all of them Just because a book say the value is ,means you are going to get that. Value is only what someone is will pay for it
I agree, I'd rather have a whole lot of nice silver coins to look at than one gold coin.
just plain stupid to brag with your bullion coins on a public forum.
Main Referee for Hutt-River
btw. i prefer platinumcoins
I didn't see any bragging.  He was just asking if you'd prefer to have one gold coin or a pile of silver which is about the same value.
yeah but i believe its his stack of noble metals, i wouldnt post in a place where you also provide a home adress.
I just like a large quantity of affordable good quality (xf or higher) coins. It"s the hunt and the history, not the total value that attracts me. I have a family to feed and that does have priority :-)
Ok, turn it around then.
A kilo bar of silver or equivalent bullion value of old gold coins?
Daft question I know, this is a numismatic forum, not silverstackers...  B)

Quote: TheChemistOk, turn it around then.
A kilo bar of silver or equivalent bullion value of old gold coins?
Daft question I know, this is a numismatic forum, not silverstackers...  B)

Die geld!...
That did not translate to what I expected.

The gold!
I'd be happy with just one of those coins rather than the silver bullion
Same with me.  If it comes down to bullion against coins, I'll choose coins.  if it's bullion against bullion I'll go for gold because it takes up less space.  If it's coins against coins I'll go for silver because you feel like you get more for your money.
Quote: neilithicSame with me.  If it comes down to bullion against coins, I'll choose coins.  if it's bullion against bullion I'll go for gold because it takes up less space.  If it's coins against coins I'll go for silver because you feel like you get more for your money.
Yea, pretty much the same here. I would rather any gold coin over a silver bar, but I would rather a box full of "junk" silver world coins form around the world for the SAME gold coin.

If you gave me that stupid bar, I would sell it and buy a bucket of world coins. I would be sorting for a month

I'd go with the silver...
As for the discussion about gold, silver, coins and who likes what...
I'll put in my five cents worth -

I'd buy ingots if investing in noble metals, thereby directly circumventing (at least in part) the premium on the bullion coins. Why pay a premium on bullion when it doesn't really have numismatic value...? and you're not really likely to get that money back. Try to sell any noble metal when a financial crisis arises and you'll see how hard it is.

Blurring the line between silver or gold as an investment metal, and coins for their beauty and numismatic value is a sure fire mistake in my opinion. When they do overlap, it's not the metal content that drives me to buy the coin.

Great discussion.
SILVER or GOLD:

Read this discussion (if you have access):

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/Silver-Has-More-Potential-Than-2101623.S.5844280867974823939?qid=57d66a04-b552-4280-8beb-13817ff28968&trk=groups_items_see_more-0-b-ttl
Quote: Muenzenhamsteryeah but i believe its his stack of noble metals, i wouldnt post in a place where you also provide a home adress.
He's a good ole boy from the South. There are 51 million firearms registered in the State of Texas alone and almost every man, woman and child knows how to use one. We don't get a lot of home invasions for obvious reasons.

An armed society is a polite society.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Oh brother! people have gone on and on about me posting these photos on a website where people can look up my address. Is it really that easy to find my address?

Lets use some logic here, if some thief put in the time to search the forum for posts like this, then they must hack Numista, (hackers have better ways to make money) and look for my address under the messages of people I have swapped with in the past, (because my address is not any where else).  
 Then they must travel to said address, the address may or may not be where said coins are HIDDEN. they could be at such an address, OR I may have taken some precautions and used a second address, OR I may store my coins in such a place as a safety deposit box, OR SOMEWHERE ELSE.
 But lets say they do find the address. They will also find a Man and Wife who BOTH carry guns and practice for fun using these guns at the Range and are Very good at shooting. also MY retired neighbor who is bored and also carry's a gun EVERYWHERE he goes, (he shoots squirrels all the Dang time) would love to have the opportunity to "do his duty".

You think someone will track me down for a chance to search a house for perhaps $2900 worth of coins, that if they wanted to sell fast they would probably only get $1500 or so for?
  They will find more lead than silver, Do you understand what kind of Lead I mean? But please know that in the US we have such thing as a safety deposit box that comes with a bank account.
   Thanks for your concern, but I would rather have you answer the question. This was just a simple question about whats more interesting, one gold coin, or similar value of silver coins? The photo is from long ago, perhaps they were not my coins, or perhaps I have sold them. It just does not seem logical that some thief would bank on getting a big hit off of this little collection. Said thief would have just as much chance hitting any active member here. And there are Many who have actively satiated their dislike for guns, at least the thief could go there without fear of being shot several times by multiple people.

All this to say, Please no more whining just cast your dang vote.

Quote: methuselaI'd go with the silver...
As for the discussion about gold, silver, coins and who likes what...
I'll put in my five cents worth -

I'd buy ingots if investing in noble metals, thereby directly circumventing (at least in part) the premium on the bullion coins. Why pay a premium on bullion when it doesn't really have numismatic value...? and you're not really likely to get that money back. Try to sell any noble metal when a financial crisis arises and you'll see how hard it is.

Blurring the line between silver or gold as an investment metal, and coins for their beauty and numismatic value is a sure fire mistake in my opinion. When they do overlap, it's not the metal content that drives me to buy the coin.

Great discussion.
 If you are patient you can find silver rounds for silver spot price. I never paid extra for any of my silver rounds, Including Silver Eagles.

Quote: redsmithstudiosOh brother! people have gone on and on about me posting these photos on a website where people can look up my address. Is it really that easy to find my address?

Lets use some logic here, if some thief put in the time to search the forum for posts like this, then they must hack Numista, (hackers have better ways to make money) and look for my address under the messages of people I have swapped with in the past, (because my address is not any where else).  
 Then they must travel to said address, the address may or may not be where said coins are HIDDEN. they could be at such an address, OR I may have taken some precautions and used a second address, OR I may store my coins in such a place as a safety deposit box, OR SOMEWHERE ELSE.
 But lets say they do find the address. They will also find a Man and Wife who BOTH carry guns and practice for fun using these guns at the Range and are Very good at shooting. also MY retired neighbor who is bored and also carry's a gun EVERYWHERE he goes, (he shoots squirrels all the Dang time) would love to have the opportunity to "do his duty".

You think someone will track me down for a chance to search a house for perhaps $2900 worth of coins, that if they wanted to sell fast they would probably only get $1500 or so for?
  They will find more lead than silver, Do you understand what kind of Lead I mean? But please know that in the US we have such thing as a safety deposit box that comes with a bank account.
   Thanks for your concern, but I would rather have you answer the question. This was just a simple question about whats more interesting, one gold coin, or similar value of silver coins? The photo is from long ago, perhaps they were not my coins, or perhaps I have sold them. It just does not seem logical that some thief would bank on getting a big hit off of this little collection. Said thief would have just as much chance hitting any active member here. And there are Many who have actively satiated their dislike for guns, at least the thief could go there without fear of being shot several times by multiple people.

All this to say, Please no more whining just cast your dang vote.

Although, I generally agree, and at the same time I am 100% sure that Vienna is a much safer place than US general, please, do not bite Hamster's throat for his concern.
In Europe, we usually do not shoot our neighbours, neither any unwanted visitors, be it good or bad, that is the way it is....
Generally, we do not have  a habit of killing anyone after 1945. - I think that is not that bad.

Plus the vote is for SILVER
Oooops forgot the voting part.

I'm like you, just the one gold coin. I don't find it very exciting.

I prefer vintage copper but I do also like nicely toned silver. Modern bullion coin don't do much for me I'm afraid. I've got a few along with a whole pile o' junk silver. I'll either sell them to the mouth breathers when the price gets near $100 or melt them down to kill zombies, werewolves and vampires when the apocalypse arrives.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Quote: imrehdo not bite Hamster's
Sorry, I have gotten several note on how stupid it is, I told my self to ignore it, but the last time someone posted, I told myself the next person who posts on this, I will post a reply. Not necessarily directed at you.

Quote: pnightingaleI'm like you, just the one gold coin. I don't find it very exciting.

I prefer vintage copper but I do also like nicely toned silver. Modern bullion coin don't do much for me I'm afraid. I've got a few along with a whole pile o' junk silver. I'll either sell them to the mouth breathers when the price gets near $100 or melt them down to kill zombies, werewolves and vampires when the apocalypse arrives.
 Yes, it would like to see a pile of copper coins that equal the value of one ounce of gold! Assuming none were worth more than scrap copper.

I have seen your "pile O Junk" coins in some other post. I wouldn't count them all as junk, I swear I saw some I would want, I bet you could post photos of them and get swap offers for them.

Quote: redsmithstudiosSorry, I have gotten several note on how stupid it is, I told my self to ignore it, but the last time someone posted, I told myself the next person who posts on this, I will post a reply. Not necessarily directed at you.
Totally agree, I guess some people are just paranoid.  If you get too worked up with paranoia about safety you'll end up like the guy who started McAfee

https://news.yahoo.com/case-john-mcafee-vs-own-paranoia-just-got-182227606.html

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 13:19.