Mystery 10? Coin

17 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Bought this coin yesterday. There is no purpose in showing the reverse (or possibly obverse) since it is completely marred. The "10" is the only distinguishable marking on the coin.

Does anyone have any idea what this coin is?
think that is a coin used by the miners
Quote: Giovanni Micelithink that is a coin used by the miners
Thanks. Better than the help anyone else has given!
The double cross emblem carved into the coin is from the House of Lorraine. It was also used by Free French forces during WWII and by the Order of rthe Knights Templar.

Hope this points you in the right direction.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Quote: Dr. Math

Bought this coin yesterday. There is no purpose in showing the reverse (or possibly obverse) since it is completely marred. The "10" is the only distinguishable marking on the coin.

Does anyone have any idea what this coin is?
This is a great mystery...but can we have the reverse anyway, the diameter, and the weight. Is it bronze or copper?
Quote: bam777This is a great mystery...but can we have the reverse anyway, the diameter, and the weight. Is it bronze or copper?

It's about 2.1 cm. I don't know the weight because I don't have a proper scale. It sounds more like copper when compared with copper and bronze coins but I'm not 100% sure.
Any idea may contribute to the solution of this problem, so here are my ideas. As you may conclude from my avatar coin, I feel some compassion with abused coins...

1. I think it likely that there was original coin at the the basis of this mystery item. However it has been hammered meticulously to erradicate all identifying features. One wonders why. Furthermore, I think the 'maltreatment' took place long ago, probably in the 19th century, because the coin has managed to obtain a patina comparable to 19th century copper coins after being hammered (what would a coin look like immediately after being treated like this?).
2. The underlying coin had a beaded edge and also text running circularly. Remains of letters (although illegible) are clearly visible between the 10 and the beading.
3. The only readable feature is the numeral "10". However the number is not positioned evenly on a vertical axis. It is too far to the left. This kind of asymmetry is unusual for coins. I reckon with the possibility that the "10" was not part of the underlying coin (if so, why wasn't it erradicated as well?).
4. If the previous point makes sense, then it is quite possible that the actual orientation of the coin is different from what one expects. Actually, I think that the top of the underlying coin is at 8 o'clock, and I tend to think it displayed an effigy.
5. And what about the diagonal line below the 10? Could it be a detail of the underlying coin? As a matter of fact, I don't think so, as it would have been one rare detail to have survived the abuse. But if it is not part of the underlying coin, what would the hammerer's intention have been to put it there?
6. The size of the coin may be the most underestimated identifying feature in this mystery. Who will pick up this clue?
[Edit] 7. Although the hammering could have been done by anyone with a hammer, it is not that easy to drill a cross shaped hole like that through a coin. Whoever did that had access to sophisticated tools. In addition, the hole was drilled after the hammering, otherwise the edges of the hole would have been blurred considerably.

Come on guys, the collective intelligence of the Numista community must be able to solve this problem.  :wiz:
Quote: ArnoVAny idea may contribute to the solution of this problem, so here are my ideas. As you may conclude from my avatar coin, I feel some compassion with abused coins...

1. I think it likely that there was original coin at the the basis of this mystery item. However it has been hammered meticulously to erradicate all identifying features. One wonders why. Furthermore, I think the 'maltreatment' took place long ago, probably in the 19th century, because the coin has managed to obtain a patina comparable to 19th century copper coins after being hammered (what would a coin look like immediately after being treated like this?).
2. The underlying coin had a beaded edge and also text running circularly. Remains of letters (although illegible) are clearly visible between the 10 and the beading.
3. The only readable feature is the numeral "10". However the number is not positioned evenly on a vertical axis. It is too far to the left. This kind of asymmetry is unusual for coins. I reckon with the possibility that the "10" was not part of the underlying coin (if so, why wasn't it erradicated as well?).
4. If the previous point makes sense, then it is quite possible that the actual orientation of the coin is different from what one expects. Actually, I think that the top of the underlying coin is at 8 o'clock, and I tend to think it displayed an effigy.
5. And what about the diagonal line below the 10? Could it be a detail of the underlying coin? As a matter of fact, I don't think so, as it would have been one rare detail to have survived the abuse. But if it is not part of the underlying coin, what would the hammerer's intention have been to put it there?
6. The size of the coin may be the most underestimated identifying feature in this mystery. Who will pick up this clue?

Come on guys, the collective intelligence of the Numista community must be able to solve this problem.  :wiz:
I can clearly see a T, R, and possibly a C although it looks somwehat like a Greek letter. I can also see what may be a crown or a flag at 3 o'clock right along the rim. At 8 o'clock I see a man's face with possibly a sun above it. It appears as if he is carrying a pitchfork which is the diagonal line. Also the on the 1 there is a possible die crack so when I turn it upside down it spells OD. Thanks for the ideas!
After several hours of (amateur) research, I am unable to verify a coin that would match. I have found a few that come close but the size is off.
When something is hammered, the metal will flatten and spread, making a flat object larger in size and also thinner.So, the 21 mm measurement may actually have been a 18 mm--20 mm coin, depending on the force of the strike.
In saying that, I will continue to search for the original coin. It has almost become a personal mission. If anyone has any more great ideas I would be nice to hear them. Happy Hunting!  ;)

Edit: PhotoScape is a great photo editor to mess with. It is a free download and works well.
Sarcasm seems to be my only defense for stupidity.
  I too spent several hours when this Topic first started, trying to find the original coin. Still nothing, and maybe (though probably not) these three versions could help. I cropped and rotated, then created a black/white version, and a negative. Sometimes things can be seen that are not so obvious in the original.

Why didn't I think of using Photoscape?! There are quite a few details I've noticed on the coin that can't be seen in the picture so I'll try to get a better one when I can. A few different angles might also shed some light in solving this mystery. Thanks everyone!
I, like others, also searched to find the original (or host) coin. I hope your other pictures allow for success.
Just need to do some cropping, etc and I'll post 'em.
Here are the original pictures of the coin:

Here it is as I see it:
Still nothing.

I think it's time we called up Nicholas Cage.
To me it looks like it's been turned into some kind of tool or to fit a piece of missing machine part.
Quote: tony_k_1965To me it looks like it's been turned into some kind of tool or to fit a piece of missing machine part.
Could be but I don't see any markings on the hole that indicate it has been used as such. Maybe it was used as a balance for a scale. Definitely not 10 grams, though.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 17:41.