Hi grade coins (Above MS60) Proof and Specimen coins

29 posts • viewed 243 times

This message aims at: suggesting an idea to improve Numista

Upvotes: 2
Downvotes: 16

» Quick access to the last post

Can someone please tell me how I can select MS62 and other high graded coins? right now it goes to UNC only.

Lesser important question I can not see a selection to record the items as a proof or specimen item (coinsandcanada.com does a great job of that, but it is only a price guide)

Same with bank notes.

Also with bank notes there is no place to put a 2006 Canadian $5 Notes that have Jenkins/Carney or Macklem/Carney.  All 2006 $5 seems to be just the jenkins/dodge varieties.

Am I seeing this incorrectly?

One ore thing, Is there a setting to get rid of all the different choices for notes?  I just need the year and signatures (correct ones) to check off (well and other things you already have)

Please get back to me soon.   This is quite impottant if The coin clubs in MB, or afew other provinces are suggested to use this web site.

Hope to hear back from you very soon

James Viehweg

james.viehweg@gmail.com

204 783 1107

You can't get UNCer then UNC, this site uses descriptive grades not Sheldon scale. If you want to note some fancy descriptives like choice gem jadda jadda there are either private or public comment sections you can use for each entered item.

If there is a special finish like, BU, specimen or proof etc they have usually there own year line (unless it's missing, Numista is not always complete so you can edit or ask for an edit to the page if you can proof the existence of said finish variant).

While I thank you for your response, it is good to know that some one reads these, I do not really think you know what I refer to, or you much be very new.

UNC is not a grade, it is a classification.  In coins there are classifications, one is circulated (G4-AU59), Uncirculated (MS60 to MS 67), proof strike (PL60-PL67) and specimen strike (SP60-SP67).

Look in any real coin book, like Carlton, refer to Canadian coin news, refer to the site I use often Coinsandcanada.com.

If you need someone to prove that the existence of those finishes, then you are very new, which is fine.  I am kinda new and still learning all the time.

All the grading companies grade just as I stated, they NEVER grade anything as UNC, and if you see one graded that you have to ask them what does that mean, is it MS60? or MS62?  The price almost doubles each point it goes up.  Just as it does when the grade goes from vg to fine, or XF to AU.  

I almost said serious collectors, but in reality ALL collectors HAVE to be aware of these things.  A third of my collection (and I have every Canadian coin year, and most varients, is UNCirculated.  They are rated MS60 to MS 67.  Coins you get out of a fresh bank roll are MS 63 to 65 depending how much they have been moved around.  Coins out of the PL coin sets that most of us get every year, are usually around MS65 when they get graded properly.  They are NOT just UNC.  IF you call them UNC then you are serious hurting the value of your collection as from what I can see the UNC here is just the price of MS60.

Now, I have heard back from this site.  They are fully aware of what I am saying, and intend to put these into their system.  However due to the scope of all the products, languages etc etc etc it will not be done soon.  I hope by the end of this year, which then I will enter my collection in perhaps.   Now I will still use it as it is a GREAT site overall and I wish I knew about it years ago, but I will try to use the swap feature as I think that is the best.  Too many people I meet who collect only want to see and make money, they do not help other collectors build collections, just shelfish.  If I can trade with someone and one of us make the difference in a few dollars great.  I like this site as it seems its for REAL collectors, not dealers like everywhere else seems to be for.

There are still a few weird things about the banknote part of this site.  Maybe I am not understanding it all the way but several bills/signature/year combinations seem to be missing.   IE with bank notes there is no selection of a 2006 Canadian $5 Notes that have Jenkins/Carney or Macklem/Carney.  All 2006 $5 seems to be just the jenkins/dodge varieties.

so Idolenz , Plese refer to coinsandcanada.com or anywhere else as some of your assumtions seem to be off :)

Good luck in your collection!

Wow, such ignorance I would have expected more from your southern neighbors but perhaps things have changed in the last few decades (or it is you who is very new to this world and to numismatics).

You seem to have succumbed to the extreme misconception that the entire world acts as you do. A large part of the collectors of the world is still independent of the opinions of any third person telling them how nice or bad their coins/notes are or do not want to have their collectibles in bulky overpriced plastic coffins. 

Further you seem to lack some reading comprehension. I don't need your proof that certain kinds of finishes/strikes exist (as a concept?), the person that is responsible for the part of the catalog where you want to request a change needs proof (of course you can use catalogs and or pictures for this). And thanks for your proposed references but I don't care much about Canadian coins especially all the modern stuff they churn out endlessly  so I won't refer to any of these sites/catalogs.

You also seem to be one of those “collectors” that only see 🤑, you would probably call yourself serious, I would call you an investor not a collector.

I hope you'll find what you are looking for, maybe other people here want to deal with you more than I at the moment.

Happy “collecting”!

Wow no need to insult, I was just being factual.

But yes, typically Canadians do assume Americans are a little…. ignorant… of the outside world…. and facts.. example your politicians for the last 5 years or so.

Anyway back to being nice, as I actually did not mean to be mean or insult you in anyway.  I was just letting you know, and as the creators of the website already agreed I think maybe instead of jumping to insults maybe you could be a little nice and try to learn something instead of dismissing it.  I never said I am awesome at this but what I did talk about is fact.  I don't pretend to imagine how other countries do it and every person do it but there are certain standards with Canadian coin, and coins in general in all major collecting.  

I was just asking a simple question about the site and you decided to jump in and dismiss.  What i asked is completely correct,  I am actually a collector but as I most collectors I prefer graded coins as I have come across many fakes and I am not terrific at grading myself.  Look, There was no need to respond like that to someone who was asking a legitimate question about the site, nor to respond like that when they try to share actual common knowledge about conditions.

Though I do agree with you about a few things, too many people do it just to invest which drives up the costs for those of us who just want to collect.  And I also agree that the Canadian mint produces too many “collector” coins.

In either way, when you admitted directly that proof (ie fact) does not matter you kinda put yourself into the same area as several of your other Americans friends (and some lunatic Canadians too :().  And if you don't care about Canadian coins, why would you even bother responding in the first place?  Why immediately go to insults and then when corrected say you ignore proof?   Just does not make sense.   

I do hope you take this response in the way it is intended, that is to call out the imporper response, maybe even show some maturity and admit that maybe you were not aware.  I did not know much when I started and I learned many things to, for instance I thought UNC was a grade.. I was wrong.  

Anyway I do hope you can relax and take what I originally said for what it was, sharing information and that it was 100% correct.

Hope you calm down, and with a little contrition maybe there are more in common here then you think

Cheers.

Oh and for the record, I prefer my coins and notes in my binders and not in the plastic pouches, only leaving ones worth more then $1000 in the cases for protection.  I was like you and thought the “coffins” were stupid.  But as I learned (and hopefully you take it this way) in the end I wish I would have used different pages to fit the grading pouches and slabs as now that I am upgrading my collection they would be easier to sell or trade if they were still in the grading pouches :(  Before you explode back, maybe just realize I was trying to educate you a little and meant no insult….. your response did not seem that way though :(

I am browsing these suggestions and this is beyond funny.

UNC is a grade. We are just not using Sheldon scale. As it was said, comments are good for that.

Catalogue administrator

And you can use any scale you wish of course :)

I am just saying that the use of UNC is not used by grading companies or most collectors.  When I started I used it I admit until I found out UNC is not a grade I used it as one.

It covers a range of grades from ms60 to ms 69.

I love this site but as many of my coins have been graded above au there is no way for me to put those kn this site.   The owner of this sight and I already discussed this and in his words he j ows ans agrees with what I am saying. They plan to get rid of UNC at some point but at this time they do not have the time for that major up grade so all the ms and Pl  grades are listed as unc.

For those who still think unc is a grade please show me any major recognized grade book kr grading company that uses it.  Look at your Carlton guide, coins and Canada or even Canadian coin news.

None of this was supposed to get mean and I am sorry that I let the previous poster get to me.   

Facts re facts and I can not phantom how a coin collector doesn't realize this after they are made aware of this. Look at any actual book please.

But thank you for calling it the Sheldon scale.  I had no idea whatbit is called.  I wish grading companies and every book used unc.  It would be alot easier!

Proof and BU strikes have their own yearline in entries

Catalogue administrator

This is getting ridiculous. I get that different parts of the world use different grading scales, and that people there might not know about other grading scales.

As to your credibility of how you talked about this thing with Numista owner, I would equal that to near zero.

Catalogue administrator

No idea why you take this so personally.  No need to call me a liar.  However yes I did exchange emails with him when I first posted and it is a goal for the site  however understandably it is  not a priority at this time.

Either way I do not understand how some people have posted with such acrimony insisting that unc is a grade when anyone can just Google or look at any grading book or ask any grading company.   So before anyone starts throwing accusations please look fir legitimate sources.  This is not a different part of the world thing.  This is standard.

Learn as I did because when I started I thought unc was a grade as well.  

Anyway just look. And be nice.

Did not call you a liar. I questioned your credibility when you talked about They plan to get rid of UNC at some point but at this time they do not have the time for that major up grade so all the ms and Pl  grades are listed as unc.

Catalogue administrator

Riquochet

Either way I do not understand how some people have posted with such acrimony insisting that unc is a grade when anyone can just Google 

Maybe you could have googled it yourself, would have saved a lot of time to everyone ^^

Catalogue administrator

Riquochet sounds like a 16 year old kid who is bragging with his knowledge and coins above AU. By the way, is AU a grade? 😅

They say "Pecunia non olet", but I know better...

Then you didn't listen.  Not bragging. I said I didn't know before either . Why not just look it up before calling names people.  There is heaps I don't k ow and I always ask questions of those who know more.  I just asked a simple question at the time whether the site had the option of doing the uncirculated grades.  

G f12 vf20 ef40 au50 ms60 thru ms (or pl) 70

There's on before Good but I can't remember it at the moment

Just look up coinsandcanda.com or look in any grading guide.

Jeez. Just shared I formation and people I stead of trying to learn they call names.

This is a world site, basically no one out side of North America cares about the Sheldon scale.

-Dan

Riquochet

… insisting that unc is a grade when anyone can just Google or look at any grading book or ask any grading company.   

Let's ask NGC, probably the largest grading company in the world.  Here's what they say:

Yet as I look at several coins graded by them it never says unc.  Just ms60  ms 65 ms 63

Look this is dumb

Believe what you want.

Jeez what is with people who refuse small bits of info   just look it up

Would this make you happy and entice you to actually start to catalog your coins?

Hahaha   thanks that is funny ;)

Really this is not a big deal o have no idea what ticked a few people off.   

I do like the site.  And if i get time may slowly start entering my collec4ion and as was suggested to me in emails is just put the condition higher then au in the notes ams mark it unc. :)   the automatic pricing is awesome and that's why I hope they add the ms values sometime is all 

Mostly because u want to trade some of my extras.

Anyway  good luck collectors.    Don't take things so personally.  Ever a need to call someone names, belittlw the or call them a 16 year old for asking a simple question about whether the site supports uncurulated coins different grades 

Riquochet

I do not really think you know what I refer to, or you much be very new. UNC is not a grade, it is a classification.  

[…]

Look in any real coin book, like Carlton, refer to Canadian coin news, refer to the site I use often Coinsandcanada.com.

If you need someone to prove that the existence of those finishes, then you are very new

[…]

All the grading companies grade just as I stated, they NEVER grade anything as UNC

[…]

I almost said serious collectors, but in reality ALL collectors HAVE to be aware of these things.  

Here some chunks of your first answer to Idolenz. To be honest, I think the tone very definitive and patronizing you chose to use is what may have “ticked” us ;-)

Catalogue administrator

If that is the case I apologize.  It was a while ago and I probably ly was annoyed that such a great cataloging and sharing site does not have the unc class broken up as there is a big price difference between ms60 and 62.

Riquochet

If that is the case I apologize.  It was a while ago and I probably ly was annoyed that such a great cataloging and sharing site does not have the unc class broken up as there is a big price difference between ms60 and 62.

We don't come here to look at prices, the swappers are their own judges of the quality they want to swap. If you wanna buy graded stuff go on ebay or an auction lol. this websites focus is collectors not investors

-Ash

also hilarious watching someone who joined this year call someone who's been here 10 years “new”

next level ignorance (and free entertainment for me :))) )

-Ash

What's with the continues hostility?  Why are you making such a big deal?  SSimple Question about all the grades and you bring it to insulting. 

I am a collector and part of collecting is recoding the grades.  

As for you saying people don't care for prices…. Well that's just silly .

A great feature of this sight is the fact it automatically records the values.  If you don't care good for you but obviously the majority of the people do.   TThere Is a huge value difference between ms60 and ms65.  If you don't realize that then I'm not the newbie.

Oh.  And how long someone is on this site has zero to do with how new someone is to the Hobbie.

Also for the record of the major collectors I have got to meet non use this site.   AAnd when I have shown it the first thing they notice is that the ms, pl and nbu grades are not recorded  

Learn something before you criticize.  Hobbies are supposed to bring people together which the swapping part is great for. But you keep an stirring up trouble.

And saying the value is up to the people swaping… Well thats …. Just dumb to say.   That's obvious but j have yet to meet anyone that does not refer to price guides before they trade.

So let it go.  Learn something and make a friend instead of acting like you have been.

Hello Riquochet, first of all, welcome to Numista!!! 

The topic that you have commented on in this Topic is really interesting since the grades conservation of coins is something really important in our numismatic world. I am not going to go into valuing the comments written here too much, since, possibly, my knowledge in this field is not enough to contribute anything new. 

I am going to give you, if I may, some advice: you comment that you do not understand so much hostility on the part of so many people. Maybe, before commenting on this, it would be good if you did a self-evaluation exercise on what you have written or, better, on how you have written it. Perhaps this way you will understand why the reaction of users towards your comments has been unfriendly. Doing an exercise in humility does not make us weak, it makes us wiser. 😉

Coin referee for: Andorra
Banknote referee for: Spain and Andorra

That is exactly what I suggested.  I already apologized if the original post can across wrong.  Regardless it is no excuse to call names and insult people. Especially as the whole issue being argued is really stupid.  I just wanted to know how to access the ms grades.

Though your post sure does not help cool the situation down as you ignore who was insulting who amd the fact that after someone said my original past came across wrong I DID aplogize.  WWhich shows far more hu.ility the  was deserved by the insulted….. but Thanks for Continuing to poke one side as that always helps.

Come on man really look at how many times I tried to back off and be positive.  Despite the fact that such an obvious and well know  thing like ms grades actually do exist.   If unciculated is a grade then might as well call everything else just circulated, why bother listing vf ef or anything.

It really is beyond rational thinking how this has gone in the forum.

Wow what is with people making things personal in this forum.

Riquochet

That is exactly what I suggested.  I already apologized if the original post can across wrong.  Regardless it is no excuse to call names and insult people. Especially as the whole issue being argued is really stupid.  I just wanted to know how to access the ms grades.

Though your post sure does not help cool the situation down as you ignore who was insulting who amd the fact that after someone said my original past came across wrong I DID aplogize.  WWhich shows far more hu.ility the  was deserved by the insulted….. but Thanks for Continuing to poke one side as that always helps.

Come on man really look at how many times I tried to back off and be positive.  Despite the fact that such an obvious and well know  thing like ms grades actually do exist.   If unciculated is a grade then might as well call everything else just circulated, why bother listing vf ef or anything.

It really is beyond rational thinking how this has gone in the forum.

Wow what is with people making things personal in this forum.

Ok, at least I tried

Coin referee for: Andorra
Banknote referee for: Spain and Andorra

As did i  Right from  start I just asked questions as I didn't know how the settings were

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:58.