Gibraltan coins...

24 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hello all,

quick question, do you guys think that I would be able to collect all the normal circulating coins in Gibraltar from 1p - 2 pounds (5 pounds if it circulates) in one day or less?

Please reply - thanks
University is time consuming, cherish your free time!

Honi soit qui mal y pense.
If you are going there I would think it could be fairly easy to get 1p-50p. I just swapped with a guy from Jersey and their 1 & 2 pound coins don't really circulate as they have pound bills. I think Gibraltar is the same way so whether or not you could get the pound and 2 pound coins is questionable. The 5 pound coins I know don't circulate.
thats awesome, thanks for the info!

Gibraltar do use quid bits, 2 we regularly get in our change are the Neanderthal skull and the capture of the rock ones..
Getting the 1's & 2's post-decimal not too difficult, but if you're going further back you will struggle.
Not too bad though I have the 1967 crown and also have 1/2, 1 and 2 quarts although the 2 needs an upgrade !
1 p with bird (2003 or older)
2 p with fort (2003 or older)
5 p with monkey on branch (2003 or older)
10 p old design (first design, forgot dates)
20 p lady of europa
50 p dolphins or first design
1 quid non-commem
2 quid non commem

I have the dolphin one somewhere I just can't find it "/
That's not what I meant  ;)

I was asking about if it was easy to obtain these coins in circulation IN Gibraltar.

Thanks in advance

Ah yeah I would have said so ! Although I have to assume alot of our coins will be there also as nobody ever exchanges their money to suit even though the Gibraltar pound is ever so slightly less..
B.  :o
james
relatively nice finds... one full set one p to two pound... only one set tho, they don't like their own coins,or so it seems. grammer fails in messagd, don't like using mobile LOL :)

Nothing wrong with using ya phone but I will admit every time I have a mis spelled word of  any kind its this bloody phone !
I've just got another capture of Gibraltar 50p :)
lol, I have the old set.

Barbary partridge 1p
castle upon the rock 2p
Barbary monkey 5p
europort 10p
our lady of Europa 20p
dolphins 50p
castle 1 pound
battle of trafalger 2 pound

and a couple of operation torch 2p, capture of Gibraltar 10,50p, only 1-2 of each tho

I think it was pretty difficult as I had to run into a lot of different stores lol

How long were you there for ? I was only recommended to day trip there as there is nothing really there exept a few monkeys on the rock and a Morrisons ha ! I always wondered if I flew or sailed to Gibraltar would I need a passport since it is basically Britain ha
Quote: 15turtleslol, I have the old set.

Barbary partridge 1p
castle upon the rock 2p
Barbary monkey 5p
europort 10p
our lady of Europa 20p
dolphins 50p
castle 1 pound
battle of trafalger 2 pound

and a couple of operation torch 2p, capture of Gibraltar 10,50p, only 1-2 of each tho

I think it was pretty difficult as I had to run into a lot of different stores lolIS THIS THE 1994 SET???  :)
james
Aha, I was in Gibraltar for 1 hour in the night and a half day (bit more). It is Britain lol, I don't think British people need passports because you're basically flying domestic.

@james wolfe, it is a mixed date set, not all 1994. infact, I forgot what dates I got but there one 1 red/br unc 2ps (castle) and 1 red/br unc 1p.

I have a couple pounds and British change, but part from that, nothing else... no Gibraltan coins in Gibraltar. friggin crazy

oh, the 2 pound coin is the new series cause its brutally hard to find Gibraltan 2 pound coins... mostly British 2 pounds they got down there...

Although their new coins look like proofs when UNC. I might have doublets of some new ones.

so not so easy to collect after all !!!!!!!!!
james
Quote: james wolfe
jaja, those are the heads.

and @Tony, yes. I thought it was going to be a cakewalk except for the 10p (the 10p was still the hardest though). However, it turned out brutally annoying and hard. Some people don't like it when I ask to change(cambio).

Many pepple there don't speak English. Most people speak Spanish, Gibraltan, or some weird sort of mixed espanenglish lol

English is a weird espanfranco language haha !

I told you it wouldn't be as easy as you imagine ! Nobody ever exchanges them; I wouldn't.. I had a Neanderthal skull quid not long ago and I now have 2 capture 50 pences and a Op Torch 2p ha

We always get 'em here - Gibraltar, Isle of Man, Guernsey etc and twice I've had St. Helena now too - I wish I could get the turtle 50p though. :(
Went some time ago. Check the banks as they sometimes have the £5 coins.
As our G.B. banks/Post Offices did.
I managed to get three at face value.
Quote: yorkieWent some time ago. Check the banks as they sometimes have the £5 coins.
As our G.B. banks/Post Offices did.
I managed to get three at face value.
HAH, I tried... they were temp closed (wtf?)

It's a good idea tho, appreciate the tip.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 00:24.