How to tell apart these two coins from Portugal? [solved]

14 posts • viewed 253 times

» Quick access to the last post

These 10-EURO coins from Portugal are listed has having the same dimensions and weight, even if the silver content is different.

N#13311

N#17273

How can one tell them apart? Just by the alignment?

Or what is the difference between ‘reeded’ and ‘fine grooves’ edge?

You can very easily tell them apart with a magnetic slide.  Here's a screenshot from videos I made with coins of similar size with different silver content.  

Ruibai

These 10-EURO coins from Portugal are listed has having the same dimensions and weight, even if the silver content is different.

N#13311

N#17273

How can one tell them apart? Just by the alignment?

Or what is the difference between ‘reeded’ and ‘fine grooves’ edge?

In this case, .925 coin is a proof one.

Portugal proof coins .925 ag.

BU most .500ag.

Very confusing indeed ,but proof coins stand out , pretty much.

rsirian1

You can very easily tell them apart with a magnetic slide.  Here's a screenshot from videos I made with coins of similar size with different silver content.  

My coins are all the same type (ie. same composition), so I could not compare the sliding performance; on the other hand, my coins do not seem to react to the magnets I have at all.

But a Very interesting experiment, indeed. Thank you for the suggestion.

Orientation would indicate that they are only silver content is only 50% (don't know what the other 50% is) and although I have several magnets the coins do not seem to be magnetic at all. Would I need more powerful magnets for them to react?

Thank you @iiruig  and @manny57 for your comments.  I only have coins of one type, each in its own plastic holder and uncirculated, so they look very good.

Is there a way to tell by just looking at them that they would be ‘proof’ or not?

Of course, usually, you can tell just by looking. If you post a picture, we will be able to tell.

Ruibai

rsirian1

My coins are all the same type (ie. same composition), so I could not compare the sliding performance; on the other hand, my coins do not seem to react to the magnets I have at all.

But a Very interesting experiment, indeed. Thank you for the suggestion.

You can compare them to another coin (any country, any denomination) ~ .925 and about 27 grams. There is a large difference between .500 and .925.  I've also done similar comparisons with measuring density, although more prone to measurement errors:

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic109244.html#p899571

iiruig

Of course, usually, you can tell just by looking. If you post a picture, we will be able to tell.

the photos are slightly blurry but I hope good enough to analyze, let me know if more detail is needed.

Yours seems to be not Proof. This is an example of the Proof coin. You can see that the background field is contrasting w lot with the image of a boat. Under certain angle it looks even black, while the boat doesn't.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256333252469?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=kQOJQn4_TMG&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=u-QRrpxuR8e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

And this is an example of a regular coin, similar to yours. You can see that the boat and its background are almost the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352467201588?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=i-B1OTq3Tja&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=u-QRrpxuR8e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

rsirian1

Did you build this yourself or did you buy it from somewhere ? I am genuinely interested as this is the first time I've seen something like this. 

Alrumon

rsirian1

Did you build this yourself or did you buy it from somewhere ? I am genuinely interested as this is the first time I've seen something like this. 

Fake Silver Coins: 14 Ways to Spot Counterfeits

A couple of videos:

Aluminum coin vs. .925 silver  

.800 silver vs. .500 silver

rsirian1

Alrumon

rsirian1

Fake Silver Coins: 14 Ways to Spot Counterfeits

A couple of videos:

Aluminum coin vs. .925 silver  

.800 silver vs. .500 silver

Thank you for the videos.

iiruig

Yours seems to be not Proof. This is an example of the Proof coin. You can see that the background field is contrasting w lot with the image of a boat. Under certain angle it looks even black, while the boat doesn't.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256333252469?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=kQOJQn4_TMG&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=u-QRrpxuR8e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

And this is an example of a regular coin, similar to yours. You can see that the boat and its background are almost the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352467201588?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=i-B1OTq3Tja&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=u-QRrpxuR8e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Startling contrast, I now understand the visual differences and will consider this case closed.

Thank you

Status changed to Solved (Ruibai, 12-Feb-2024, 11:16 am)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 05:00 pm.