Sealing coins in self-adhesive flips in a humid environment

12 posts • viewed 207 times

» Quick access to the last post

Hello all, I'm starting to move my collection over to a more permanent storage option, and I've already got all the necessities: album with a case, pages, 2x2 self-adhesive flips, even some silica packs to put in the case for extra humidity protection.

Now, all of my coins are currently in a bag, waiting to be properly sealed in the flips.

What I'm afraid of, however, is trapping too much humidity with them. I've heard that the 30-35% range is the perfect one for coins, and my hygrometer right now shows a pretty steady rate of around 45% (edit: sometimes it can go even up to 55-60% on a bad day). With the expected rain, best case scenario is that I reach this ideal range in a few weeks – and since I'm a student counting pennies, a dehumidifier isn't an option right now.

Now, am I at all founded in my worry about the air humidity when sealing the coins? Or can I just start whenever I want without worrying about trapping too much of it with the coin?

Thanks!

Flips are not 100% water vapor proof so you won't trap too much water in them in a normal living environment where you live. Depending on the ambient concentration, temperature and pressure, vapor will slowly enter or leave. What's most important is a stable climate devoid of extreme temperature swings like on an attic or very high moisture levels like in the bathroom or a cellar with bad air citculation. 

You are talking in terms of relative humidity.  It's Important to control temperature as much as humidity. If you seal them in the cold, the cold air holds less moisture. In any environment where temperature changes, the relative humidity inside a sealed container changes. Mostly, you want the humidity to be low enough to prevent condensation at the lowest temperature you will experience in storage. 

Sounds like you already take most of the practical and prudent steps to protect your collection. There are many impractical things you can do, but the best investment is in a climate controlled storage location.

Rob

My personal experience is that coins I put into stapled flips 50 years ago are in the same condition as when I put them in.  I never used silica, and I live in a temperate, northern part of the United States (not the desert, and not Florida), probably a climate like yours.  

Granted, most of that collection was not high grade silver, though there were no problems with high grade aluminum and bronze coins.

I do not like self-adhesive flips, because if you want to remove the coin you need to cut it out, which puts the coin at  risk of damage.  Stapled flips allow you to open the flip if you want to remove the coin for any reason (for instance, photography), then replace the coin and re-staple the flip.

Tyralion

Now, all of my coins are currently in a bag, waiting to be properly sealed in the flips.

Colleague.

In advance, I wish you a nice day and good luck at school.

This sentence alone is quite problematic for the sensitivity of coins to bags that exclude PVC - such a coin already carries with it a possible disease.

These are just my observations and do not necessarily coincide with the opinion of the majority:

In my opinion, adhesive flips are problematic due to the use of glue.

With your number of coins, the solution is definitely in the beginning and easy to solve:

262 coins are a joy to solve

Yes, it is important to think about their future now.

A natural environment without excessive humidity and temperature differences, and saving in the dark is enough when you wrap in a clip and put in an album.

As a rule, proof and special coins are already packed in round plastic cases.

And in my opinion, this is the best solution in these plastic opening round cases.

Example:

The majority of collectors who, like me, are devoted to the collecting period (40 years) - have already dealt with different storage variants several times. And also when the number of coins reaches 15,000, there are really a lot of ways.

25 years ago - or 20, when foil laminators started, I decided that I would give the coins stories or describe their country and mint, as well as a sample of variants.   

And to this day I think that laminating a coin is the easiest way to store a coin in any extreme climate - I would also like to ask others to comment what they think about it?

coins show no absolute changes even after 20 years. there is no air access either.

( For old coins, I would also add a spray of conkor gun oil or WD 40)

Then I gave clips all the time:

but also loosely in a mint plastic sleeve in albums:

the coin can be withdrawn freely at any time and the cases are safe

free in clips problem-free even after 25 years

Even in the Russian album there are different storage options, I just take a quick photo of it in bad lighting in the evening.

In this way, I could continue with different variants - however, it always applies - to check the coins after a while and to solve the problem early.

Ivan

For thirty years I put my coins in adhesive 2x2 and I didn't notivce any change.

It's easy then to put them into binders afterwards along with notes and stamps.

But I woud'nt do that if I lived in an 100% humidity location as South east asia

Referee of south atlantic islands

Personally my great-grandfather kept his collection in a drawer with nothing more than a sock. Just a sock and that absorbed the humidity for 60 years until it got into my hands 

Frenchlover

For thirty years I put my coins in adhesive 2x2 and I didn't notivce any change.

It's easy then to put them into binders afterwards along with notes and stamps.

But I woud'nt do that if I lived in an 100% humidity location as South east asia

👍 Facts and pictures always best in such dicsussions.

Here is a coin that was placed in its 2x2 about 55 years ago.  

The staples have corroded (two were removed to photograph the coin), and country no longer exists, but the coin is in the same condition as it was 55 years ago  (the coin also outlasted a very short-lived trend to make colorful 2x2s … this one began its life with this yellow color; they also came in pale red and blue). 

Aluminium naturally has a thick passivating oxide layer on the outside, nothing will happen to it.

Yes, but the oxide layer is not shiny and “metallic”;  it is a dull gray color like this:

Then it was circulated or handled.
This coin is from my great-grand-father, it lay in some cupboard for over 85 years.

👍  I think this reinforces the point that coin storage solutions can be very simple and still be very effective.  

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 03:57 pm.