Large Diameter Penny, error or fake?

13 posts • viewed 220 times

» Quick access to the last post

I have a larger penny than the usual ¾".  Wanting to know if anyone has another or is this fake.

*wt. 2.5g- *Comp. unknown-*non-magnetic-*Dia. 21mm. Any Information appreciated. Thank you, Mike.

Hello,

What do you mean it's non-metallic? In your picture it looks to be somewhat under 20mm.  Can you take a picture of both coins side by side?

Sorry meant non-magnetic. Thanks, Mike

Thank you.  So…all I can say is that it's not a real 1 cent coin produced by the US mint.  It's well above the tolerance on planchet size and even if it weren't, the size of all the devices and lettering it too large to be produced by the Mint dies. The hair and beard look somewhat off.  I don't know why someone would make a coin only slightly larger than a real one. Most of these oversize “fakes” are very large.  Sorry. Maybe other members have a better explination.

Why would someone fake such low price coin? So much trouble! 

Looks like it's not even round? Or am I getting it wrong perspective from the pics?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_bY9qZ3iFhHDOslFT7ZF8Q

tonterias

Why would someone fake such low price coin? So much trouble! 

Looks like it's not even round? Or am I getting it wrong perspective from the pics?

Not likely someone did it for monetary rewards.  More likely it was a one of kind “see if I can do it” project.  Maybe a 3D printing exercise.  

Oh well, that makes sense

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_bY9qZ3iFhHDOslFT7ZF8Q

Hi Mike,welcome to Numista. This is my example of a stretched copper plated zinc penny. I found mine on the dash of a truck that was parked in a salvage yard for 25 years. The trucks last registration was dated 1998. There was a pile of pennies with several laying  beside the pile. This is one of the pennies that was beside the pile. It measures 20.14mm - 20.88mm.

Here is another that only swelled to 19.91mm before the copper plating ruptured and allowed the molten zinc to flow out. I have to call mine PMD  and I suspect yours is also.

Thank You, Beekeeper. This is a definite answer, the others seemed speculation. I appreciate your reply. Thanks, Brutus59

So we're thinking the zinc in the penny melted on the dashboard of the truck?

I am assuming that it looked normal and shiny when it was tossed onto the dash, just like the rest of the pennies, normal change received from a cash transaction. I know the coins did not move for a long time before I got them so I have to think that the zinc melted while laying on the dash.

Maybe but that's mighty hot even for inside a closed car.  420°C (790°F).  

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 03:51 pm.