Plastic pocket from a coin shop - help

9 posts • viewed 161 times

Hello, one day ago I bought a coin from a coin shop in a city, where I study. However, I left it in my student room. I know, that I will not be there for over 10 days. The problem is that the coin is in a plastic cover/pocket from unknown plastic from the coin shop (something like in the picture). I don´t really know, what type of plastic it is. Should I be concerned about the effect of the material on the coin? I am afraid of corrosion (or maybe PVC damage) - I will not be there for more than 10 days. After that I will bring polyethylene capsule. SORRY FOR THIS POST, BUT I AM REALLY UPSET. Thank you all!!

Relax! Your coin will be fine, during his short stay in a plastic bag.
Me personal would be more concerned if somebody else would ‘find’ the coin.

...you can run,  but you can't hide...

yvon

Thank you! BTW No, my roommates are honest guys :-))

yvon

Will it get corrosion etc. after some time? Again, sorry to ask, but my distracted brain is making me do it.

On the long run the plastic, if it is containing PVC will maybe cause some damage and moisture will do 

good either but all this troubles are somehow timeconsuming processes.
It is really completely irrelevant to worry yourself about this short timespan.
One free advice from a fellow coin-lover/collector; collect gold coins only, they are resistant

to nearly all evoiremental issuses…:)

yvon

On the long run the plastic, if it is containing PVC will maybe cause some damage and moisture will do 

good either but all this troubles are somehow timeconsuming processes.
It is really completely irrelevant to worry yourself about this short timespan.
One free advice from a fellow coin-lover/collector; collect gold coins only, they are resistant

to nearly all evoiremental issuses…:)

How many days (/how much time) are generally ok for the coin to be in the plastic cover? 

If this particular ‘plastic cover’ is containing PVC, as short as posible.
If there is no PVC involved it really does not matter.

yvon

If this particular ‘plastic cover’ is containing PVC, as short as posible.
If there is no PVC involved it really does not matter.

Again - thank you! If i understand it right - circla 10 days are ok, but generally I should get it from the pocket ASAP. As I mentioned before, the pocket is from a well-know coin shop (the coin was lying there even for some time before), so I suppose they know what they are doing. 

Ask your roommates to remove the coin?

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 02:11 pm.