If you were part of Numista Team...

99 posts

» Quick access to the last post

...how would you help out the catalogue?

I'm just curious to see what issues members notice or worry about the most, and maybe I can address them with the rest of the team.

I remember when I joined the team a while back, some 2 years ago, I added a ton of entries to the catalogue, as well as added or changed KM numbers where neccessary. When the time was right, I was part of the team and I continued to add many entries. When the issue of copyrighted photos had arisen, I added copyrights where neccessary and removed many photos with the help of several other team members. Although my focus has diverted from new entries and focuses more on verifying entries instead, in the couple of years of experience I've had, I thought that there were several improvements that could be made, whether big or small.

You are all bright and brilliant collectors, and I'm sure you all have visions on your mind. I'd like to hear them.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
Offtopic: please unlock the 50 bani 2011 and 50 bani 2012 commemorative coins so I can make changes to the years.
Sure thing, bro.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Offtopic 2: what's wrong with the Numisdocs? (in terms of publishing ones that we have written)
Numista referee for Canada and Estonia.
There's no one who reads the English Numisdocs except Xavier.

I'll address the issue to the team right away, thanks for mentioning. By the way it's not off topic at all, it's like a suggestion page but also a "free response" kinda topic.
Kenny

So you're the one swapping my pics out for others that aren't even actual pics. I've been wondering who keeps putting pictures of pictures of coins as the photo. It's only been a few of mine that I've noticed gone and replaced; but if it isn't mine I dont tag it with the copyright except once or twice. But if they say (0gramz) please let them be - I like to know how many I was the first to introduce. Thanks.
Quote: SmartOneKgSure thing, bro.
Now maybe? :8D
Quote: 0gramzSo you're the one swapping my pics out for others that aren't even actual pics.
I don't remember replacing or deleting your photos. I typically enhance user photos by editing them on PhotoScape. It was probably another Numista member(s).

I think there might have been a misunderstanding. Photos without copyright aren't deleted, but photos that are definitely from another website and are claimed "Personal photo" or have no distinction are replaced.
Kenny

Ya - I've been asking for weeks about that Britsh Hondoras date to be unlocked and added and it's never happened yet. We understand you're just one guy and can't do it all. But it seems of lately you're the only guy running the whole site trying to do it all. Must be overwelming for all the responsibility. Seems like you need a lot of help or the site will start falling behind like worldcoingallery did. Not enough updates not enough often.
Cleaning up the catalog would be my #1 priority.
Quote: 0gramzYa - I've been asking for weeks about that Britsh Hondoras date to be unlocked and added and it's never happened yet. We understand you're just one guy and can't do it all. But it seems of lately you're the only guy running the whole site trying to do it all. Must be overwelming for all the responsibility. Seems like you need a lot of help or the site will start falling behind like worldcoingallery did. Not enough updates not enough often.
YES, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR UNDERSTANDING.

I feel so overworked recently, seriously! I go to bed at like 4 in the morning at least twice a week so it's purely my love for Numista that keeps me working here.
Kenny

I was just messing with you man I dont know who erased my photo one time and replaced it with some crappy picture of a picture of a picture of a coin. Don't take it serious. Most my pics are still on here. I take them from my scanner, and they're all still in my collection.
Quote: dptashnyCleaning up the catalog would be my #1 priority.
I'm sure everyone feels the same.

Too bad I don't have the ability to allow very dedicated members to become part of the team. I can name at least 5 off the top of my head.
Kenny

Excellent thanks for the changes.
Quote: SmartOneKg
Quote: dptashnyCleaning up the catalog would be my #1 priority.
I'm sure everyone feels the same.

Too bad I don't have the ability to allow very dedicated members to become part of the team. I can name at least 5 off the top of my head.
Who can other than Xavier? No-one?
Quote: dptashny
Quote: SmartOneKgToo bad I don't have the ability to allow very dedicated members to become part of the team.
Nope, no-one but Xavier.

Aha if I actually had the ability, I'd be recruiting the members who I think can perform well and preserve Numista, which I know a handful of members are capable of doing.

By the way if I don't respond it's because I'll be taking a really-needed nap.
Kenny

Smartone you should go on strike and refuse to fix the site unless people send you coins  :P
1 cent Micronesia thats my pic - I put it on here and someone changed it to 'world coin gallery'.
 I put this one on too and someone changed it to 'world coin gallery' credit
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces16580.html
and this one too
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces13702.html
who knows maybe those were my pics on wcoin .com in the first place. All I know those are my coins in the pics
Quote: eminemSmartone you should go on strike and refuse to fix the site unless people send you coins  :P
People don't think he is fixing the catalog, they think he is messing it up. Who cares about a few coin pages without photos?
Quote: dptashny
Quote: SmartOneKgToo bad I don't have the ability to allow very dedicated members to become part of the team.
Nope, no-one but Xavier.

Aha if I actually had the ability, I'd be recruiting the members who I think can perform well and preserve Numista, which I know a handful of members are capable of doing.

By the way if I don't respond it's because I'll be taking a really-needed nap.
Just guess, these are the five whom I think you want to nominate. You can make them honorary mods.

1. Imreh
2. Monge
3. Lidianb
4. Radrick007

Can't think of #5.
The tokens section could use some work. I say we create a special Numista Team that deals only with fixing and maintaining the tokens.

Also, we need someone who deletes all of the old, useless threads here on the forum.  
Quote: Dr. MathThe tokens section could use some work. I say we create a special Numista Team that deals only with fixing and maintaining the tokens.

Also, we need someone who deletes all of the old, useless threads here on the forum.
That's one focus I was looking for. You're going in the right direction too (plus you always crack me up).

The tokens section I personally think was a mistake. It was originally for medallions and fantasies, from what I heard, and then it was flooded with tokens. I proposed a long time ago that old threads should have some sort of distinction from other threads that they were finished, like the "Identification and modification" section, where threads that are finished are colored gray or have like a checkmark.

By the way it's 3 in the morning over here. 11 hours of sleep in one day is NOT normal for an AP student.
Kenny

Quote: dptashnyCan't think of #5.
Huh. I wonder who that would be. *wink*

By the way make sure you guys are keeping it clean. I made this thread because I wanted suggestions from different members of the website, instead of having any bad comments for the team.
Kenny

I would volunteer to be Team Member to edit the catalogue, as I have some spare time. And I have in PDF all the KM catalogs from 1600 to today, and I wouldn't mind searching on the web as well for things that are not mentioned there.

There are a lot of coins to be deleted, to be removed from coins to Tokens, coins to be verified...etc.
Check my coins for sale:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/lidianb
https://www.facebook.com/lidianbcoins/  
Quote: lidianbI would volunteer to be Team Member to edit the catalogue, as I have some spare time. And I have in PDF all the KM catalogs from 1600 to today, and I wouldn't mind searching on the web as well for things that are not mentioned there.

There are a lot of coins to be deleted, to be removed from coins to Tokens, coins to be verified...etc.
You would do a great job to the catalogue, I think.
Kenny

Well thanks SmartOne and Dptashny, I intend to write a message to Xavier and tell him I would volunteer to edit the catalogue. If he accepts I would be very happy, if not, no regrets, I will still continue to be a member here and help with whatever I can.
Check my coins for sale:
I would remove all the proof coins from the circulated coins as have with some on the French Numista site, this also makes collectors feel better, as it's a great feeling when you complete a full date set and get that double tick, which for most amateur collectors this is almost impossible due to the proofs being included.
Quote: tony_k_1965I would remove all the proof coins from the circulated coins as have with some on the French Numista site, this also makes collectors feel better, as it's a great feeling when you complete a full date set and get that double tick, which for most amateur collectors this is almost impossible due to the proofs being included.
Yes, that is quite a nice idea. Would you have proofs as a separate entry?
Quote: bam777
Quote: tony_k_1965I would remove all the proof coins from the circulated coins as have with some on the French Numista site, this also makes collectors feel better, as it's a great feeling when you complete a full date set and get that double tick, which for most amateur collectors this is almost impossible due to the proofs being included.
Yes, that is quite a nice idea. Would you have proofs as a seperate entry?
I agree with this too, and for a long time actually.

Proofs should be a separate grade rather than a separate entry or year. Although proofs are technically not a grade, they should be considered a separate grade on Numista.
Kenny

Here are some of my suggestions:

1) Modify the "adding a new coin page":
 a) Open possibility to enter alternate catalog numbers; e.g. KM AND your local catalog(s), so you can search better and catalog better
 b) Make a "die axis" option at the arrows, so Romans could be cataloged correctly.
 c) Standardize the metal as a drop down list, e.g. some people put Copper-Nickel, while others write CuNi, confusing the search engine
d) Add a "series" row to link various coins (like same motive with different denomination; certain Gods on Romans, etc.) so again the search can group coins together from a different perspective
e) Add a textbox for general info before the Obverse part, where you can add info on the coin in general.

2) Enhance the search engine - I would mission to Cerulean, he has great suggestions on it.

3) Would insert an "under swap negotiation" tickbox to every single coin, so if people are not asking for the same coin from multiple people.

4) Add more fancy statistics to the DASHBOARD: like total weight of my collection, total amount of silver in them, etc. easy little adjustments, which people love.

5) Encourage and motivate people to read and write Numisdocs, some high level foum discussions are happening again and again and again because people are asking them. It would be much more time effective, for you guys teammembers to just links these questions to the appropriate wikipage
Therefore: build a nummis wikipedia proper

6) Empower and authorize team members more! - That is crucial! ... I would also dedicate teammembers according to their speciality, Kenny is great in Asians, etc...

I think it is more of what I would do, if I were Xavier, though :)
Quote: dptashnyJust guess, these are the five whom I think you want to nominate. You can make them honorary mods.

1. Imreh
2. Monge
3. Lidianb
4. Radrick007

Can't think of #5.
Thanks for the nomination dptashny, a real honour.
Honestly, I think you should be number 5! ;)

Since, I have been named, I shall say that I have that suggestion from 3 team members already, they also suggested to write to Xavier and apply. Hereby, I would like to thank them honestly and sincerely, since I think it is a lot of trust.
I was very eager to do so, for a long time, and I am sure I have the expertise (35 years in coin collecting)  and the motivation to do so.
About 2 months ago, I have decided NOT to do that. I am leading various teams in real life, and I consult big organizations on team cohesion etc., so I know a couple of things:

1) I do not want to join a team, which is not led, e.g. where the boss is procrastinating decisions.
2) AND at the same time not empowered to implement changes, e.g. where most of the time teammembers are waiting for the decision of the boss.
3) I do not want to join a team, which has no authority to choose their own teammates.
In short, teammembership shall be not just the name and access to more functions, but rather shall be the steering and motivating force of the entire community.
So till these circumstances remain, I will not apply.

If they change for better, sure, man, I am in; that shall be a lot of fun! :)

Cheers,
Imre
I would also create a section dedicated to mule coins as there are a few out there, one I have tried to get for a while is the UK 1983 two new pence.
Quote: tony_k_1965I would also create a section dedicated to mule coins as there are a few out there, one I have tried to get for a while is the UK 1983 two new pence.
and PROOFs shall be separated as mentioned above.

PLUS: there should be lines for common fakes, as we own so many, that it is a collectible in its own right.
Quote: imrehThanks for the nomination dptashny, a real honour.
Honestly, I think you should be number 5! ;)

Since, I have been named, I shall say that I have that suggestion from 3 team members already, they also suggested to write to Xavier and apply. Hereby, I would like to thank them honestly and sincerely, since I think it is a lot of trust.
I was very eager to do so, for a long time, and I am sure I have the expertise (35 years in coin collecting)  and the motivation to do so.
About 2 months ago, I have decided NOT to do that. I am leading various teams in real life, and I consult big organizations on team cohesion etc., so I know a couple of things:

1) I do not want to join a team, which is not led, e.g. where the boss is procrastinating decisions.
2) AND at the same time not empowered to implement changes, e.g. where most of the time teammembers are waiting for the decision of the boss.
3) I do not want to join a team, which has no authority to choose their own teammates.
In short, teammembership shall be not just the name and access to more functions, but rather shall be the steering and motivating force of the entire community.
So till these circumstances remain, I will not apply.

If they change for better, sure, man, I am in; that shall be a lot of fun! :)

Cheers,
Imre
Imre, you are so right and I share your reservations about the (lack of) site leadership. By the way, I respect your depth of numismatic knowledge and back your nomination to join the team but I also understand why you don't want to join the team in it's present state. Xavier should recognise his able and enthusiastic team and should allow them more powers to administer the site and catalogue before they lose motivation and leave.
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
If I was part of the Numista team I'd look down on all those that aren't and go "Muhahahahaha, bow down to me mortals for I am GOD" then demand that everyone tithe their coin collection to appease me.
Quote: neilithicIf I was part of the Numista team I'd look down on all those that aren't and go "Muhahahahaha, bow down to me mortals for I am GOD" then demand that everyone tithe their coin collection to appease me.
All hail Will!
I'm really loving your comments guys, both suggestive and comedic.

One thing I thought of proposing was having 1 member verify 1 country, so although we'd have a really really large team, we'd have pages clean and finished. Obviously I took this idea back because it's absolutely silly, but I'd definitely like to have some valuable members join the team to help maintain the uniformity and cleanliness of the website and possibly fill the spots of those who haven't been working much.
Kenny

I wouldn't call it "working" more like community service.
"community service" So we'll be signing up cons with their orange jumpsuits to do the job?
Quote: SmartOneKgOne thing I thought of proposing was having 1 member verify 1 country, so although we'd have a really really large team, we'd have pages clean and finished. Obviously I took this idea back because it's absolutely silly, but I'd definitely like to have some valuable members join the team to help maintain the uniformity and cleanliness of the website and possibly fill the spots of those who haven't been working much.
If I would be a team member…
I would go through a 5 step process with the entire team:
1) STANDARDS –
2) COMMUNICATION
3) PROJECTS
4) MOTIVATION
5) REVIEW

1) STANDARDS – A lot of standards for the coinpages needs to be revised and clearly (to the last detail) agreed. This is required to reach that unification and nice to look at status.
(Examples: what is token, what is not, how does the title line look, etc.)
Most of it is there, but NOT applied consistently, for sure. – There will be no unification till everyone agrees and knows what the standards are.
This shall be done in a (virtual) team meeting, where the team builds a consensus.
2) COMMUNICATION – All of the above needs to communicated to the entire community in the form of Numisdocs, examples, screenshots, etc. Most of the newcomers are lost on how to enter a coin, and either give it up immediately, or ask the forum what to do, then ZacUK answers them individually. It shall be a lot easier if we would have an „adding a coin for dummies” guide.
3) PROJECTS – This is the most important part! Correct me, if I am wrong, but now it seems like all team members are doing pretty much what they like to do. It is great, they should do what they like to do, BUT in a coordinated manner! SO, I would create projects with clear targets. For example, let’s say we clean up Uganda, then 2-3 team members shall focus on Uganda, involving other Uganda experts from the community (see MOTIVATION). When we have reached the target, we move on to another project. These projects, shall be very transparently COMMUNICATED to the entire community, because if it is, the team will get a lot of help from community members and if they are involved, they will be happier…
Needless to say, as it is voluntarily work, every team member shall take on as much as he/she pleases and can realistically accomplish. On the other hand, those, who take on no projects for long, shall be removed from the team.
4) MOTIVATION – The two things motivate people most is „the feeling of progress” and learning. So, if targets and projects are clearly communicated, then ANY members will be happy to join the projects. So, I would motivate non-teammembers to join these projects and get the pleasure of learning and get the pleasure of seeing the thing shaping up. (Look at medieval Hungary – I am pretty happy on the work I did, nobody was asking me to do it, and I am not a team member. I did it purely for my own learning and the pleasure to see the progress).
5) REVIEW – When a project is finished, it shall be closed, celebrated, people involved, shall be acknowledged and happiness shall be shared and back to step 3, let’s do another one!
As wrote before there are prerequisites though, empowerment of the team and authority shall be given next to the responsibility.
… and one more thing, though: what is the vision of Numista? What do we want to make it? The most complete online catalog? The most friendly swapping site? The numismatic information source? I am sure that the team members now, have a different answer to this. If there is no alignment, it will not work.

Thanks for reading this, it has become long...
Imre
Agreed, as for any complex organization, Numista's mission, vision, philosophy, and strategic goals should be established and applied consistently.
I don't send via registered mail with very few exceptions.
Quote: sccedaAgreed, as for any complex organization, Numista's mission, vision, philosophy, and strategic goals should be established and applied consistently.
aha.
This site has grown far further than a "hobby and fun thingy". As with a lot of knowledge based stuff, the amount of work invested in it, deserves respect and recognition. Team members and normal peasants like me, has invested valuable amount of time and knowledge, which is also "money" ...

Now, we all are running after our "money" to make sure this site goes into the right direction.

Don't take me wrong, I am not saying that any work shall be compensated here, I just use this as a metaphor, that yes, it is a venture, and it requires leadership, structure, strategy and an organizational pattern.
Hey guys,

I decided to make a spreadsheet of your ideas. I organized the ideas by catalogue, Numisdoc, user features, recommendations for team admittance, stuff like that. I feel that this is probably the most effective way of recognizing the ideas that you guys came up with, and to apply when administration on Numista starts getting serious.

By the way I'd be really pleased if someone can translate the first post I made to French, so I can publish it on the French forum (unless you guys have some objection).

Your guys' ideas are great, and I'm excited to see more of them.
Kenny

I don't speak French, and I visit "that side of Numista" very rare, but I have the idea that they are much more better in terms of catalog and more live in the forum as well.
Check my coins for sale:
I do not think it is a good idea, Kenny.
no spreadsheet needed till the direction is clear.
How do you become a member of Numista Team?
Becoming a team member is based on experience through the catalogue.

If a member has a lot of experience, they will have a good chance of joining the team. However if they continue to make fake accounts and claim they're someone else, then their chances are inexistant.
Kenny

I feel that this post should be revived,

...to keep clear that the team doesn't keep things in the dark.
Kenny

Quote: SmartOneKgI feel that this post should be revived,

...to keep clear that the team doesn't keep things in the dark.
Eh, it seams like they do.
SmartOneKg can I be a team member please?  :)
Quote: kommodoreSmartOneKg can I be a team member please?  :)
Oh gosh, I wish I could!

There are a ton of year requests that are correct, but they are overwhelming so they are unverified. If I had the power, I would gladly add you as a team member because I've seen your work and your work ethic (which is much better than mine).
Kenny

Oh thanks. :)
So who can I address for getting this team status?
Quote: kommodoreOh thanks. :)
So who can I address for getting this team status?
Xavier, when he returns from his trip to celebrate Lunar New Year's.
Kenny

It is better for you guys to tell me this, as bam777 asked me if I wanted to become part of the Numista team, and I am now taking this seriously. I have what it takes (I think), but there are so many other candidates who might have more, so should I even bother asking?
Quote: dptashnyIt is better for you guys to tell me this, as bam777 asked me if I wanted to become part of the Numista team, and I am now taking this seriously. I have what it takes (I think)...
You're on my top five, Daniel! You should definitely be a team member.

I guess we only have to wait, and when the time comes, you'll (hopefully) be a team member.
Kenny

Quote: dptashnyIt is better for you guys to tell me this, as bam777 asked me if I wanted to become part of the Numista team, and I am now taking this seriously. I have what it takes (I think)...
You're on my top five, Daniel! You should definitely be a team member.

I guess we only have to wait, and when the time comes, you'll (hopefully) be a team member.
Thank you for telling me that I can do it! Okay, so I will go for it!
Quote: dptashnyThank you for telling me that I can do it! Okay, so I will go for it!
Great! High five! I have high hopes for you.
Kenny

What exactly do the team members have the rights to do/not to do?
Quote: neilithicWhat exactly do the team members have the rights to do/not to do?
Verify pages and their mintages, accept requests in the request system, use the "traduction" (translate) tool, talk on the team forum, and other "rights". Rights not to do? Stuff like not being able to modify currencies, add people to the team, and other limits set on ordinary members as well.
Kenny

And in my world, I can moderate the forum and that's it!
If I were part of the team, I would want to moderate  8)
Catalogue referee for British, English and Scottish coins.

Le référent pour des pièces britannique, anglais et écossais.
Quote: bam777And in my world, I can moderate the forum and that's it!
...which you do a really great job at, without a doubt.

We probably need more than just one forum moderator. Ben's work seems very overwhelming.
Kenny

Suggestions:
1. Delete inactive members.
2. Hide members without something to swap on the map under "Start a swap".
3. Force country selection.

Otherwise happy.
Quote: pileborgSuggestions:

Otherwise happy.
Yes!
Catalogue referee for British, English and Scottish coins.

Le référent pour des pièces britannique, anglais et écossais.
Quote: manxcat12Suggestions:

Otherwise happy.
I concur.

There should be a limit on the inactivity if it does get implemented.
Kenny

Yeah, one site I was on deleted your account if you were inactive for over 6 months., that's probably a good amount of time
Ya but what if someone went to jail or something for a while or maybe was sidetracked from collecting for a number of months and they didn't want to lose their collection listings. That wouldn't be right then. So I'd say delete their account from the swap proportion but not in totality.
Quote: 0gramz...so I'd say delete their account from the swap proportion but not in totality.
That's a great idea. And then they can reactivate it when they're ready, huh.
Kenny

I think half the people in the swap section are idle and have no intentions with it. So maybe it should be an addition you can activate yourself if you'd like to participate instead of just automatically beeing thrown into the listing when you create an account.
Quote: 0gramzI think half the people in the swap section are idle and have no intentions with it. So maybe it should be an addition you can activate yourself if youd like to participate instead of just automatically beeing thrown into the listing when you create an account.
I think there's an option like that. With the snooze smiley face.

But there should definitely be some more option - I'll keep note of that. That's probably what the members want, especially since new members are sometimes bombarded with requests from other members.
Kenny

I don't know if there is or isn't if I can recall when I signed up I thought it just automatically entered you in there but that was awhile ago and it might have changed by now. I wouldn't know I have only one account and I notice a lot of hints into people making numerous accounts; or leaving one account to start another fresh. So that leaves a lot of zombies floating around as swap partners.
Quote: 0gramzI don't know if there is or isn't if I can recall when I signed up I thought it just automatically entered you in there but that was awhile ago and it might have changed by now. I wouldn't know I have only one account and I notice a lot of hints into people making numerous accounts; or leaving one account to start another fresh. So that leaves a lot of zombies floating around as swap partners.
Something we need to work on too.

Wikipedia is very strict on sock puppet accounts. I think we need to be strict too. Thanks for your advice.
Kenny

Maybe we should create something that separates long threads into multiple pages after like 20 posts because I.m getting tired of scrollling down so far to read this. But on the multiple acounts I'd say no more than a few because there could be the exception of maybe brothers or father - sons all with there own accounts linking from the same I.P. and that would look fishy, but really be nothing going on of a wrong nature. That's why all these suggestions people keep listing always seem to be double-edge swords, benefitting one while the others get the stick. Maybe it should be a paysite for a membership of like a dollar a year. Just to reduce a lot of the nonsense and it would keep the real enthusiasts abroad. People wouldn't even  pay a dollar to goof around they only do it because it's free. But at the same time you could keep the catalogue open to the public for visibility and then there wouldn't be such a great addition of garbage entries.
Quote: 0gramz...because I'm getting tired of scrollling down so far to read this
On the top of the page there's a "Go to the most recent post" option. Try it out!

I know, I didn't really notice it either when it came out. I'm so used to scrolling down to the bottom that the option isn't really important anymore.
Kenny

what about the middle this ones pretty longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
Quote: SmartOneKgOn the top of the page there's a "Go to the most recent post" option. Try it out!
It is actually "Quick access to the last post" which is somewhat useful. It really just takes you to the very last post as far as I can tell. On forums built using some popular board engines it is always possible to go to the first unread post - that's what we need.

Also, with regards to a small annual charge, I'm all for it. Not sure if a buck will do though, but I'm sure nobody who is really interested in this site will have a problem with let's say $5/year. I know I'd pay $5 to support Numista!
Quote: smoked_caramelAlso, with regards to a small annual charge, I'm all for it. Not sure if a buck will do though, but I'm sure nobody who is really interested in this site will have a problem with let's say $5/year. I know I'd pay $5 to support Numista!
That's a great idea. Who wouldn't mind spending 5 bucks?

But I think it should be voluntary instead of mandatory.
Kenny

I'd improve the mobile version of Numista... I don't know if so much people use it as I do, but when I'm not at home and I really need to use it, it's a mess! Mostly the Swap monitor... it doesn't have a mobile version!
Quote: juanikinderI'd improve the mobile version of Numista... I don't know if so much people use it as I do, but when I'm not at home and I really need to use it, it's a mess! Mostly the Swap monitor... it doesn't have a mobile version!
Yeah I have the same problem, I always have to click on 'Numista classic version" if I want to swap on my phone.
I've never been so desperate to swap that I can't wait until I get home to use my computer.
Quote: neilithicI've never been so desperate to swap that I can't wait until I get home to use my computer.
Well I think what he is saying is that Numista already has a smartphone version, they might as well make it good. I'd have no problem paying 99 cents for a decent numista app

[hint hint Xavier, money making opportunity  ;) ]
Quote: eminemWell I think what he is saying is that Numista already has a smartphone version, they might as well make it good. I'd have no problem paying 99 cents for a decent numista app

[hint hint Xavier, money making opportunity  ;) ]
Aha nice idea, Slim.

When we do have the chance to be able to modify certain parts of Numista, I'll try to make sure that the mobile version works. Thing is, it's very easy to find the problems, but from there it takes time to implement the solutions. Really good suggestion though, I'll definitely keep note of it.
Kenny

Hi

I mentioned in this thread that I'd like to have more letters using the special keyboard (and I'm not the only one). Some alphabets that are used on coins don't even exist on Numista like Javanese or other ones from South East Asia. I guess that's not the work of 5 minutes but maybe it's possible.
I'm not orange and also in other things I'm not a Donald at all. DonChori like Don Felipe or Doña María, por favor.
I'm too new here to suggest any ins and outs yet.

One functional thing.  When one selects My Coins, then Countries, maybe there can be a preference that could put your home country up top.  That or a select few country favorites, then the rest in alphabetical order. Or a separate pull-down with favorites with home country up top.

I'm sure I'm not the only one where their relative home country is the most collected, then a few others countries that are preference over others.  Not a biggie if your country starts with A, but if you live in a later Letter...You get the idea.

Another idea just seems way too big.  Chuck this if it's too out there.  Something for note collections.  That'd be a whole other database, soo...perhaps too big of an undertaking.

Although what if a user could catalog their note collection in a smaller way.  One could choose a country and add lines manually but not be a part of the "official" catalog.  And those entries would be reflected separately on the dashboards' globe somehow.

Just some thoughts.
My interweb site: http://www.dknyte.com
QuoteQuote: tony_k_1965

"I would remove all the proof coins from the circulated coins as have with some on the French Numista site, this also makes collectors feel better, as it's a great feeling when you complete a full date set and get that double tick, which for most amateur collectors this is almost impossible due to the proofs being included.
    "

Yes, that is quite a nice idea. Would you have proofs as a separate entry?
I would disagree. I don't mean to be rude here - but what's the deal about having two ticks when
the general overview gets lost. I mean - lots of coins if not nearly all have Proof and BU/Set entries as
well, some even have Proof, Matte, Special Uncirculated and Circulating issues. Since this is definetly a
matter of workload and clarity of the catalog I would decline.
Imagine having ten-thousands of new entries with Proof / Matte / BU features along with the circulating
types. And what about the commemoratives which show off BU and Proof together? Should they be
separated, too? Splitting up coins (which then would share a KM#) = this ends up in a freaky mess.

And now imagine having to to do the work for them all. Adding information, transferring collections,
searching for images, cropping uploaded images etc.  B.  B.  B.

I would even go so far as to suggest to do the opposite: adding set entries to existing coin sheets,
since lots of users collect them and do not want them to show up as ordinary circulating types
The best suggestion I have is this:
Show more pictures for every coin.
For example: show variations images, proof image.
and that's good suggestion. I would like this. Means more workload but would help people to check their coin for varieties
Makake77 - can I be a Numista team member?
Quote: kommodoreThe best suggestion I have is this:
Show more pictures for every coin.
For example: show variations images, proof image.
Great suggestion!
:)  don't ask me - you have to apply yourself to Xavier.
Message sent, he's available?
Vacation.

But if I were Xavier I'd put you on the team immediately, since I know you're a hard working member.
Kenny

Quote: imrehHere are some of my suggestions:

e) Add a textbox for general info before the Obverse part, where you can add info on the coin in general.

4) Add more fancy statistics to the DASHBOARD: like total weight of my collection, total amount of silver in them, etc. easy little adjustments, which people love.
these are things that I have also been thinking of several times.

Like, some more statistics about the coin facts: which coins are the mostly owned coins, or the coins with the lowest rarity index or highest issue numbers that I don't have?

On the editing page, I think the most useful additional feature would be an extra line to add a comment to the team member, for giving reasons for the proposed changes, like a link to a site with additional info. I often abuse some empty engraver field or the comment field of a year line for this, but then sometimes these comments are accidentally validated into the coin sheet

When I compare the catalog now and when I joined Numista two years ago, there has been done very much. At that time I complained about many things that didn't make much sense or that were without a concept, and I think many of them have been solved very well. There are still some things to be done, but I hope they will be done soon.

Once I thought I wanted to become a team member, but I think this wouldn't be too much help. Most things I do for Numista is to check my own new coins if they are described correctly, so I can enter them in the correct lines. For this, the current request system is a really useful system, with some possible improvements to be done

A question: can team members change collection data of users? For example, if two lines in a coin sheet must be merged, to change the owned coins from one line to the other so that the first one can be deleted?
Quote: androlOn the editing page, I think the most useful additional feature would be an extra line to add a comment to the team member, for giving reasons for the proposed changes, like a link to a site with additional info. I often abuse some empty engraver field or the comment field of a year line for this, but then sometimes these comments are accidentally validated into the coin sheet

Once I thought I wanted to become a team member, but I think this wouldn't be too much help. Most things I do for Numista is to check my own new coins if they are described correctly, so I can enter them in the correct lines. For this, the current request system is a really useful system, with some possible improvements to be done

A question: can team members change collection data of users? For example, if two lines in a coin sheet must be merged, to change the owned coins from one line to the other so that the first one can be deleted?
That's a great idea. I oftentimes see changes that sometimes make no sense, so I just leave them be and neither verify nor reject them.

When becoming a team member, the member does not need to wait for a moderator to make the change that the member sent. Plus, when a line is not wanted, the member can merge the collection to the correct line, or delete the line completely in rare cases.
Kenny

Quote: "smoked_caramel"​It is actually "Quick access to the last post" which is somewhat useful. It really just takes you to the very last post as far as I can tell. On forums built using some popular board engines it is always possible to go to the first unread post - that's what we need.

​A search on the forum reveals that this might be the only post about this - a "go to first unread post" is by far the biggest wish I have for this forum. It would make especially the longer threads so much easier to follow if I with the single click of a button could be directed to the first unread post in a thread, instead of having to scroll to the bottom and then scrolling up slowly until I see a post I can recognise as read.

For members who collect by date there is a very important line missing, namely:

Otherwise we can't use the filter at all to see everything we're missing in the swapper's list.
Better filtering is required. As Essor Prof said before, it would be nice to show only coins that you don't have or years that you don't have.
I'm often discouraged when the swap list of a person has 7000 coins listed and it takes a lot of time just to check what I need. If it was possible to show only the coins which I don't have, this task would be extremely easier.
ROMAE AETERNAE
Our opinion is asked, but then again, very little to none reaction.
However, I'm very sure this adding to the filter is very helpful for all the members who collect per date. And I also think this is very easy and quickly to do.
Quote: "Essor Prof"​Our opinion is asked, but then again, very little to none reaction.
​However, I'm very sure this adding to the filter is very helpful for all the members who collect per date. And I also think this is very easy and quickly to do.

​I would like to point out Kenny asked for ideas about the catalog, what you have listed is would be a software change and only the site admin has control over that.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 03:11.