Anyone have an oxidized copper coin?

11 posts

» Quick access to the last post

If so please message me because I have quite a few questions about it.
I have hundreds as I would imagine most collectors will have
Quote: tony_k_1965I have hundreds as I would imagine most collectors will have
Okay, please get one of your oxidized coins that is not exceedingly valuable out.

Tell me the results of these tests:

Test one: When placed in water, and then removed from water but still wet, is the oxidation any darker?

Test two: On the rim of the coin, use your finger nail to scratch the oxidation. Does any come off?

Test 3: Hold the coin tightly in your hand for about 15 minutes, does the oxidation seem any different?

Note: These tests I am asking you to run are to help me authenticate a oxidized coin that I own.
test one: look darker but most things do when wet.
test two: no
test three: no
I hope this helps you, but you could always put a picture up and ask peoples opinions of the coin.
Quote: tony_k_1965test one: look darker but most things do when wet.
test two: no
test three: no
I hope this helps you, but you could always put a picture up and ask peoples opinions of the coin.
Thanks. Here is the coin:

After handling the coin by the rim for about two hours (Didn't use gloves) some of the oxidation started to come off the rim.
Something always seems to happen to the rims of my favorite coins, probably because of the overhandling.
Also, just one more test. Get say a spoon or fork, and (Do not do this if the coin is worth more than 2 dollars) scratch the oxidation with it as hard as you possibly can. With mine, a little came off, although it was quite a small amount.
(On the rim)
You were handling the coin for a couple of hours? What the hell were you doing with it? playing tiddly-winks or something?
Quote: neilithicYou were handling the coin for a couple of hours? What the hell were you doing with it? playing tiddly-winks or something?
LOL.

Well mainly I was trying to look at very small details on the coin because I'm not sure if it's real or not, also not a couple hours straight the longest I handled it for at one time was probably 30 minutes.
Recently, I read that copper oxide can be treated with household ammonia. Copper will dissolve in ammonia, but the copper ions in the oxide will come off first. I've never tried it, but it appears to work within minutes.
Beware that this is an invasive way of cleaning, like using acids, so try it out on a scrap coin first.
Quote: ArnoVRecently, I read that copper oxide can be treated with household ammonia. Copper will dissolve in ammonia, but the copper ions in the oxide will come off first. I've never tried it, but it appears to work within minutes.
Beware that this is an invasive way of cleaning, like using acids, so try it out on a scrap coin first.
Oh, I don't want to get the oxidation of my coin, I want to know if what's on my coin is oxidation or... you know... paint.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 08:47.