New User Stats >> May 2013

12 posts

» Quick access to the last post

996 new users joined Numista in May 2013, increasing the total member tally by 3.5%.  

In comparison, Numista added 860 members in May 2012, and added 564 members in May 2011.

May's new members added 127,000 coins into their collections.

64.1% of these users have not yet entered a coin into their Numista collection.  What can we do to change this?

Only 1.5% of May's users still have not selected a nation for their profile.

Of the 980 that did select a nation, 87 nations had at least one new member in May 2013. 255 are French, 191 are American, 53 are Indian, 43 are Canadian, 40 are British, 34 are Belgian, and 32 are Spanish.

(I wasn't sure what to do with "French Antarctic Territories".)

The first users from Alderney, Antigua & Barbuda, East TImor, Haiti, and Liechtenstein joined Numista.  Algeria, Andorra, Austria, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, French Polynesia, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Iceland, Iran, Kyrgyzstan, Lithuania, Malaysia, Namibia, New Caledonia, Peru, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Togo, and Uruguay each gained one new member.

71% of May's new users belong to one of the Top Ten nations on Numista by user count (France, USA, Canada, India, Belgium, UK, Spain, Portugal, Italy, and Germany).

Of the top ten nations, Spain grew the fastest in May 2013 (14.4% increase), while Canada grew the slowest during the month (5.5%). France grew by 9.8%, and the USA grew by 8.6%.

Switzerland added their 100th member.  Armenia and Malta each added their 10th member.

User Participation scores for May 2013 (How many new users are actually cataloging coins here):
56% Spain
40% Canada
38% France, Portugal
35% Russia, USA
32% Belgium
31% Italy
30% UK
21% India
Awesome stats as always, thanks for keeping us up to date!
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
Quote: Cerulean64.1% of these users have not yet entered a coin into their Numista collection.  What can we do to change this?
Build an import function, to import your collection and doubles by a file/excel
These probably will be a hell of a job, but would help for sure!
Quote: Cerulean64.1% of these users have not yet entered a coin into their Numista collection.  What can we do to change this?
Does this site have a cutoff for activity or are all members retained no matter how long they've been inactive?  For example, one other site I'm a member of will delete users that have been inactive for a year.
No, we don't have a cut-off point.
Why don't you then take them straight to an add a coin page ?
Quote: bam777No, we don't have a cut-off point.
Perhaps we should.  Otherwise counting the numbers of members is a bit pointless.  It also might help get people adding coins to their collection if they're told when they sign up that their account will be deleted if they are inactive for 12 months.
Quote: neilithic
Quote: bam777No, we don't have a cut-off point.
Perhaps we should.  Otherwise counting the numbers of members is a bit pointless.  It also might help get people adding coins to their collection if they're told when they sign up that their account will be deleted if they are inactive for 12 months.
great idea.
That's a bit harsh. Go backpacking for a year, and your Numista account is gone. Why not start with something simpler? Automatically delete new users that have posted no messages on the forum and have added no coins.

I seem to remember some discussion about automatic emails that warn for a pending suspension of an account. Has that been implemented?
Quote: DappereDodoThat's a bit harsh. Go backpacking for a year, and your Numista account is gone.
Maybe something more like suspension. A year away, your account is declared and marked as inactive, your swap list and auto-fill for your name on the "New Message" page are removed, and you are removed from the list of members, maybe being sent to a "complete member list." If you return from your 1 year backpacking trip, sign in and press a re-activation button, it is reverted in an instant.
Catalogue referee for British, English and Scottish coins.

Le référent pour des pièces britannique, anglais et écossais.
You think people go backpacking for a whole year and never check their e-mail?  I'm sure that if you send a warning e-mail a month before deletion that you would retain those that really wanted to keep their account open.  Or the Idea of suspending the account after a year and give them another time limit to reactivate could be applied.
I was on other group not related to coins (a games site), where activity of members was important. I feel not only activity is important here, but also being up-to-date. I have requested a couple of swaps for which I got a "my collection is not updated" answer, and also some never replied, so I guess they haven't paid attention to this group for a while.

I have nothing against people who stop collecting, they may get bored (I doubt it happens), or could have work, family, or health issues that makes them suspend for a time, but my point is that is important for active members not to waste time chasing swaps. We always can look the feedback list so we can know how long time from last swaps, and that would be a proof or activity, but anyway some kind of mark would be a good help for who are looking for swaps.

On the other hand, it is a good thing to know location of users, as this can help to calculate posting costs, and also trip time. If I need a few cheap coins, and I can locate in my own country, or a neighbour one, would be faster and cheaper than getting them overseas. Also, I personally avoid doing swaps with people I don't see their location. They may either be hiding something or at least not paying much attention. I think location must be mandatory, and also should be checked using ISP address (I know how this can be done, if needed).
Just 10 options: you understand binary, or you don't.
Catalog Referee Coins, Banknotes & Exonumia: Uruguay, Cuba, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru, Paraguay, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Panama, Ecuador, Zamunda, Parva Domus and more.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 20:19.