Do you collect your own country's coins ?

75 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I have been since the Olympic 50p's recently - I have taken the odd coin out of circulation in the last few years like the VC 50p, any IOM/Gibraltar/Jersey or Guernsey coins, and my D-Day 50p which I can actually remember keeping as a child. :D

Recently I've been keeping anything cool and since December I've amassed just these £2 coins. :D
(I had to buy the Bank of England one but the 1996 football one was given to my brother in his change).

Also ignore the top 2 - this is just my English folder and I don't quite have space for them all, so I've put some on top just for photography purposes.
I collect American coins, but only the ones I find from circulation and bank rolls.  I don't see myself ever being willing to pay more than face and/or bullion value for a US coin.

I consider my native coin collection a 'side effect' of being a foreign coin collector.  
I collect Canadian coins by year but I only collect world coins by type (sort of, if I get another year of a type I already have I keep it too).
I don't pay more than face value although I've been tempted !
The old £2 coins have never been circulation issues so usually have a set amount. I think the Bank of England one I bought for £2.50 posted. Canada is such a great country for collecting circulation coins. I do feel that you will end up with thousands and thousands when you're old, through just what you have collected in your change though. :)
I only collect the silver pre-decimal coins from NZ
I like collecting the commems because they are free :)
I don't think we have any circulating commemmorative coins, there's plenty of sets but they're all so expensive that nobody in their right mind would pull them out of a set to spend them, all the old commemorative coins aren't legal tender since we got the reduced size coins.
Hmm that's a pity. I suppose it's just nice to find something new in circulation.
Usually that is how a collection starts, by collecting your own country. It is normal as those are the coins you are familiar with, and those you start to collect first.

At least that was with me. I collect Albanian coins by date, and world coins by type. I hope one day I will finish my Albanian coins, not that they are many, like 120 all in all, but some of them cost up to couple thousand EUR or more...
Check my coins for sale:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/lidianb
https://www.facebook.com/lidianbcoins/  
Maybe, I just take it from my own experience which I wanted one from every country since my granda gave me old coins from everywhere I've changed since then and only want colonial and commonwealth stuff but anything that catches my eye in my change is kept lol
I have a bunch, but I don't seek them out, I would swap some of them for a good 1775 Mexico city 8-R
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
I collect Fiji coins because that's where my wife was from and it was the first country other than Australia that I visited.  I used to collect NZ coins but I decided that I didn't really like them and concentrated on Pacific and silver coins.  I still collect the silver coins from New Zealand and my father gave me one of these for my birthday last year which I'm definitely going to hold onto.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces41778.html

It was the silver proof not the cu-ni coin
About 5 times every year, the United States Mint pumps out America the Beautiful quarters.

Although these are popular among the kids and friends I know who are trying coin collecting for the first time, I think they're really boring. I think all US coins are boring, with the exception of Walking Liberty halves. To be honest, I don't see much 'Murica in our coins like the royalty in British coins, so I'm not very fond of our coinage.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
I'm jealous, because in France we haven't a lot of coins to hunt in our change :(  (as I only collect French €uros...)
Ma boutique eBay : http://www.ebay.fr/sch/monephil_numista/m.html
L'ANRD : http://www.facebook.com/anrdgrenoble  -  http://a.n.r.d.free.fr/
I mainly collect european coins 1910-1950. The two world wars and in between depression and devaluations makes it very interesting from a history point of view. And of course, a lot of countries and city states has come and gone in that period too. Cannot resist european silver coins from 17 to 19 century, so I endulge myself from time to time with those as well
Regards
Ernie
I collect British coins from before 1920, and foreign coins from before 1950.
I usually only keep Canadian coins from my change that are over 50 years old.  For the most part I only hang onto them because I think someone from Numista might want one someday :P

Sometimes I find some cool ones that I like to hang onto, like the 1967 Confederation series, I really like all the animals on them!  A quarter with a lynx on it?  Rawwwwr yes I think I'll put that in safe keeping!
Rachelle
Canada
I think if I lived in Canada I would only keep the colourised moderns and the rest for swapping simply because the amount of commemorative coins that you guys pump out is bordering on ridiculous.

Finding the 1967 confed stuff must be great. I got an UNC set in its air tight bag off a member on here, brilliant coins the wolf half is the best !
Quote: Mark240590... 1967 confed stuff ... brilliant coins the wolf half is the best !
That's the only one I'm missing. Never found any of them in circulation though besides 1 cent.
I guess that most people would have hoarded the silver. Then thought the rabbit was silver too ha !
I collect coins from the Netherlands and the UK by date and type. I also 'collect' world coins, but not as active as I used to be.
I think it's a duty for me as a coincollector to collect my country's coins, not that I think that's a problem, but my collectors heart says I've to!  8~
"For by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much, while for the most part they know nothing"
-Plato
confed - 1 cents are the most common. I see quite a few per year.
           - 5 cents are less common, I see a one every year or two.
silver... only in shops.
University is time consuming, cherish your free time!

Honi soit qui mal y pense.
Quote: 15turtlesconfed - 1 cents are the most common. I see quite a few per year.
           - 5 cents are less common, I see a one every year or two.
silver... only in shops.
I suppose you don't see those 1 cents a lot anymore....
"For by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much, while for the most part they know nothing"
-Plato
We do, still in heavy circulation. but less than we used to have. confed issues I am seeing less this year.

Quote: 15turtlesWe do, still in heavy circulation. but less than we used to have. confed issues I am seeing less this year.
Ok, perhaps people think the 1 cents are becoming quite special, especially the commems (as they are disappearing from circulation). But I would consider those people to look first at our Dutch numismatic history. Because in 1980 we also realised that 1 cents are worthless and the Dutch thought as well that the 1 cent will become special at one day. Unfortunately every Dutch citizen thought that and EVERYBODY kept their 1 cents. That was great for the government but not so for the citizens. Because if everybody keeps the same coin, it will probably never have a collectable value.
Luckily for us, the 1 cents were made of 95% copper and now, 30 years later they do have value, material value. Unfortunately for us collectors that means we can't buy cheap bulk lots of bronze 1 cents anymore, because everybody brings their copper to the local scrapdealer.

Hopefully that doesn't happen for the Canadians and coinhoarders can still buy cheap pennies in the future, unless copper plated zinc/steel will became extremly rare in the future. (Which is unlikely)

Good luck coinhoarders! ;)
-Plato
LOL, that's amusing. and yes, a lot of ppl are hoarding.

Yup, anything worth more than face value and a really shiny coin of each date for my date run.
Quote: "CoinCollector1243"​Yup, anything worth more than face value and a really shiny coin of each date for my date run.
​7 year old thread.
Yes, I have more coins from my country than any others, but seeming as we’ve only been minting our own coins since 1910 (excluding older gold coins and some proclamation pennies), there’s not than many I can get
I like all the 1800s European coins, especially German ones

just realised how old this thread is... oops
Nothing wrong with reviving an old thread if the topic is still relevant.
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom, New Zealand & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
Quote: "Pickelhaube"​Yes, I have more coins from my country than any others, but seeming as we’ve only been minting our own coins since 1910 (excluding older gold coins and some proclamation pennies), there’s not than many I can get
​I like all the 1800s European coins, especially German ones

​just realised how old this thread is... oops
​I'm sure most collectors start from home & then branch out to the interesting stuff.
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphilycculture/collecting-banknotes
I am so top heavy in Canadian coins my map is not very interesting. I split it into different collections so I could get more colour in my map when I look at my other than Canada collections.
Being from the UK, I have collected our own currency for many years, but using a different set of personal rules.
I collect them by date, whereas my foreign collection is by type.

As with any coin collection, it also teaches the collector a history lesson, as we have coins issued by Kings and Queen throughout the ages.

We also have a great variety of face values. ¼ farthing up to 5 guineas, with many in between. Also, over the last 10 years or so, the UK caught up with many other countries and issued some great commemoratives, many of which entered circulation.

There are of course, many coins issued in silver and gold
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
From NZ but do not collect NZ coins-but do collect Canada large cents and UK farthings and smaller.
Mainly Victorian.
Why Canada ---I think because I like the large cents and my son is Kiwi/Canadian.
Cheers Don
A little bit. I sell more than I collect when it comes to American coins. But I am originally from Poland and I absolutely love Polish coins so I collect them. I am a new collector so I have only a few. I found a trial strike for less than a dollar because coin shops don't know much about foreign coins in America!
I have no choice. They are just easier to collect and buy. And in there are a lot of old coins in our mother Russia's soil, which are bought and sold for like ~100 rubles (like non-rare tsarist ones from 19-20 century), but abroad are sold for 10, 20, or even 30 dollars.
​​
Not anymore. The money grubbers have ruined collecting US coins.
Always remember, No matter where you go, there you are.
Yes, until the banks stopped the coins from circulating because of the CARONAS, I have been actively bank mining, roll hunt, enforcing Gresham's law, or whatever you choose to call it.
Yes except euro coins, really hate them!
Pleae check my own coin shop:

https://www.lastdodo.nl/nl/shops/Jelle097

World wide shipping for the real shipping price!
Quote: "jelle"​Yes except euro coins, really hate them!
​ Me too :|
My collections >
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13560800
also 13750057 also 15924495 also 15995337
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=16060326
Although - it must be fun looking through change,
to see if there are any rare coins. :o
My collections >
Yes I am! Among my collection, coins in my own country is the highest. It takes me back to history.

MaiCoins
MaiCoins
I started coin collecting on the basis of beauty & cost. My first coins were Italian Vittorio Emanuel III. The beauty of these coins is second to none (my opinion). The next set I built was a 20th century set from Greece. Again another beauty. Now you may say that building those sets wasn't cheap, but, they were to me because I did not purchase the Uncirculated/AU70 (except when I could get them at a descent price). Most are in XF state or better. After those sets I got interested in the Polish 2 Zlote coins between 1995-2014. They are really cool for Polish history & they are made of Nordic Gold. They are pretty cheap to by and creative. Other coins I have been collecting are the African country coins where they have eilands (antelopes) on them. Countries like Gabon, Chad, Cameroon, Congo Republic, Central & Equatorial African States, & more. I also have coins from island countries such as Reunion, Comoro, Madagascar,New Hebrides, New caledonia, French Polynesia, & French Oceania. The set I am currently building is 20th century Portugal. It has many great looking coins based on early exploration/discovery. I mostly get the CU-NI coins because they are cheaper than the silver coins. I would suggest to beginners who don't have a lot of money that they can still collect really nice coins at reasonable prices. Don't let that discourage you. Pick a genre that attracts your interest and start collecting. For example you may like animals, ships, birds, FAO, WWII, & etc. Have fun!
Quote: "jelle"​Yes except euro coins, really hate them!
​Just put them in a bag, I'll pick them up....

I agree, there is nothing attractive to collecting eurocoins, they all look alike, ant the mints are making tons of money by striking special editions ( if I'm correct the Netherlands just started emitting coins with and without mintmarks ?), extremely overpriced commems, low mintages for some denominations, special denominations (2,5 - 5 - 10 - 20... euros). It's taking the fun out of collecting.
On the other hand, being a coin collector, I can't stop myself from checking every coin I get in hand, and trying to keep at least my collection of belgian eurocoins - in normal denominations - complete. This means I'll buy the coin sets and the special 2€ coins for as long as I can afford them, but for the other countries I have to pass...
World coins by date and mint place, 1850-2000

I do and it is one of my main collections. My Kiwi collection has 5 parts

1. Predecimal coins 1933 - 1965 In a proper album with coins in flips and bags of spares

2. Decimal coins 1967 - 2005 in a push in cardboard, album flips and original cases for sets

3. Modern coins 2006 onwards and 1990 for $1/$2 - in a plastic album with coins rescued from change

4. Tradesmens Tokens and other numismatic stuff - proper album in flips including 1857 -1881 copper tokens, Coronation and event medals and medallets, Scrip tokens etc.

5. Banknotes - Predecimal to modern in proper banknote album.

1 and 2 are the most complete with 3 evolving - 4 and 5 are very much in their “early stages”.

Despite this, my main collections are UK predecimal silver coins, Fiji, Ireland, South African and Australian coins.

Love silver coins of the UK, NZ and Commonwealth, Autism positive

UK coins make up a large part of my collection 

When I was in my 40s I realized that coins made by hand by medieval and Renaissance artisans, that told the history of Europe were within my means.

I never bought another U.S. coin after that.

I mostly concentrate about the countries where I have lived and worked, but everything else is also acceptable😄

Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com

I do because it's one of the ways I can acquire commemorative coins for face value. Plus I do travel so I try to find certain coins whilst there such as France and the UAE in the past few months.

Hi to whoever is reading this. Did you know that TYPEWRITER (on a QWERTY keyboard) is the longest word you can type using only the letters on one row of the keyboard.

I don't actively hunt for U.S. coins anymore, though if an interesting appears in my change or in a CoinStar, then I'll set it aside.  The portfolio of U.S. coins is…overwhelming and personally, I like to explore history through the coins of other countries.   Also, for some strange reason, a lot of the coin stores in the U.S., in my limited experience, have been unpleasant.  Its really really strange, but the hobby can attract some very strange folks.    

Coin Roll Hunting (CRH) in the U.S. used to be a lot of fun and would reveal a few (albeit worn) treasures, but overtime, the banks increasingly became difficult to get coins from.    

I do have some coins from New Zealand in my collection - but I have been concentrating on collecting from other countries of the British Empire & the British Commonwealth a lot more, as I find the New Zealand series pretty boring - only 2 commemorative 50 Cents released into circulation in 2015 & 2018 so far.

Aidan.

Luckily I am German so there is plethora of coins and banknotes i can collect. From DDR marks, Reichsmarks, Notgelds…..I like silver coins in particular and have at least 10 kg total in german coins only in different conditions lol 

Hello,

Im from Georgia, and  I collect Georgian coins of all periods, since BC era to nowadays.

I collect also Georgian banknotes, of first democratic Republic ( 1918-1921)   and  current ones as well. 

I collect Georgian stamps as well, 

Georgian table medals ( exonumias) 

Georgian tokens

and… Georgian  cigarette packs :) 

From the UK. Started collecting coins when the “round pound” was being withdrawn. Managed to get them all eventually but my 50p and £2 are still missing a fair few. Have also started on my pre decimal collection. Since then I have been collecting world coins basically through swaps on this fine site and have amassed quite a few. I do buy some commemoratives but not many, just normal circulation or whatever is up for swap really (heading for world domination 🤣)

I´m from Russia and I decided to stop collecting Russian coins on February 24, 2022.

Well, now I live in Mexico and I do collect Mexican coins.

I started collecting in 1963 in the usual way, change checking and then in 1968 the first decimal coins appeared and I vowed to collect at least one example of every circulation decimal coin that was issued now here I am 54 years later and still keeping my collection up to date.  

I am Australian and I collect my country's coins.

I started collecting like six months ago. coin collectors have it good here in my opinion because we have change machines that dispense rolled coins that you can open and flick through and take out any coins you don't have. Usually, this is like commemoratives and low mintage years but I also find foreign coins too which I think gives it a bit of a feel to it if you find an obscure foreign coin.

Thanks to my extensive “noodling” and coin collecting (which has drawn the ire of my relatives), I have been able to pull up a complete collection of every single five, ten, and twenty-cent coin ever issued for circulation. I also have all the circulating commemorative fifty cents and all non-commemorative two-dollar coins.

I also maintain a large collection of foreign coins, and I especially have a soft spot for the old large crown-sized commemorative one dollar coins from New Zealand with the plastic case and all.

Stuart15

From the UK. Started collecting coins when the “round pound” was being withdrawn. Managed to get them all eventually but my 50p and £2 are still missing a fair few. Have also started on my pre decimal collection. Since then I have been collecting world coins basically through swaps on this fine site and have amassed quite a few. I do buy some commemoratives but not many, just normal circulation or whatever is up for swap really (heading for world domination 🤣)

With that in mind, I saw a nice eBay listing tonight which you may be interested in. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354475626890 

With 22 different £2 coins, for sale each at £4 and with £0.95 postage. 

Maybe there are some that you do not have? 

My collections >

Not much on television tonight, so I had time to add to that picture > 

The year and Numista number. 

In date order: 

1999 - 10596 

2001 - 7525 

2003 - 8661 

2004 - 10631 

2005 - 8660 

2005 - 13420 

2006 - 6849 

2007 - 8658 

2007 - 10600 

2009 - 16206 

2009 - 16526 

2010 - 16549 

2012 - 27379 

2013 - 41258 

2014 - 53078 

2014 - 53079 

2015 - 68047 / 89148 

Many - 70398 [2015 to 2022] 

2016 - 78999 

2016 - 79000 

2016 - 79006 

2016 - 79007 

My collections >

I have about 215 different coins from my country (Australia). 

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP-AULC5sTIjVqrT297lSNA
Every subscription helps!

Profile Picture - an opel found in Queensland Australia

I started collecting USA coins from circulation. When I was young my brother was in the Navy and sent me some European coins. I found Canadian coins through circulation also. When my Dad died I inherited his coin collection, USA and foreign, lots of old coins. I have since added to both and I am now just going over the foreign coin collection and putting them on here. Looks like it will be over 70 countries.

Harold

Being an Aussie, I concentrate mostly on pre-decimal (1910-1964) Australian. The RAM has flooded the market with painted $1 and $2 coins and I find no interest in them.

Of the circulating coins, I noodle occasionally for errors. 

from Canada, almost all of them.

1c - all the small cents, 1920 to end of them in 2012 (of course, no 1936 Dot 😐 ) - not interested in pursuing the Large Cents

5c - all the current sized version, 1922 - present.  Just a few before that, limited by $$

10c - all the non-silver ones 1968 - present.  here and there with pre1968's, limited by $$

25c - same as 10c

50c - never started, though I have a few pre1968 silvers

$1 - same as 50c, though loonies are debased and cheap so not sure why I haven't picked them up.

$2 - all of them 1996 - present, which seems never-ending now.. “thanks RCM, loving the 5 versions per year.. not..” 😒

I was born in Portugal but have lived in the US for 46 years. I collect both coins and currency from Portugal

And coins and currency from the US.

I had more from the US but my wife said this was a little too much ;)

Yet to collect Salvadoran coins, but it's on my wishlist 

Yes, I collect coins from Brazil by year. 

But after some time we get bored of always same coins with just one number in the date changing.

So my collection is stuck, just adding each year new circulating ones. 

The world is too big to focus only in one country

Mostly incidental but yes. My sister finds me £2s and 50ps from her shop. A lot of the Victorian+ farthings/hpennies/pennies i have just got from various bulk lots i have bought and the silver i have is mostly given to me by relatives. I also have some metal detecting finds, e.g. hammered silver and pre Victorian copper. 

I've only actually bought like 5 coins for the UK. 

Whenever I travel through the Eurozone, I will always buy rolls of €2 commemorative coins (at face value) in one country to spend them in another country. The reactions from those receiving those coins are very different. Most of them don't care, but there are still people checking out the new shiny coin(s) in their hand. The funniest is to spend shiny new coins from the small countries in the Eurozone - Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Slovenia, Slovakia and even San Marino once with only a 10% premium.

I always keep one of the coins for my own little travel collection. 😊

Geison

Yes, I collect coins from Brazil by year. 

But after some time we get bored of always same coins with just one number in the date changing.

So my collection is stuck, just adding each year new circulating ones. 

The world is too big to focus only in one country

The same for me and the Canada coins.. that’s how I got started on my birth year set

ttkooau

Being an Aussie, I concentrate mostly on pre-decimal (1910-1964) Australian. The RAM has flooded the market with painted $1 and $2 coins and I find no interest in them.

Of the circulating coins, I noodle occasionally for errors. 

Are you ttkoo from CCF. Its me Princetane, who got the perma boot from there for messing with St. Dorado.

Do you like this predecimal Florin I got?

Its an upgrade for 1911 to VF - only cost $50

And reasons why I collect my own country's coins, but prefer my neighbours coins more.

Yes, I started collecting coins from my own country (Canada) at first. My first sets were the Canadian 1999 and 2000 commemoration 25 cents sets. Years later, I started getting many Royal Canadian Mint colored coins, then circulated coins, and only some years ago I started collecting coins for other countries  + now branching to banknotes and tokens.  

I feel RCM no longer create variety in colored coins. Many years ago, there were coins in many price ranges and now, except for a very few themed coins, you must pay a fortune to get them. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/1ExFXDd

Hi.

Yes. Great collection from my own country. Contact me direct if anyone wants to swap. I am able to part with coins from India. TIA.

I love collecting my country's currency. It's what I know the most about and what I'm most familiar with, so it's generally the “easiest” for me to collect. I started collecting coins by collecting wheat cents and buffalo nickels and such from pocket change. I still always check any change I'm given for anything worth keeping and at work I'm able to sort through the cash at work so that's always something I look forward to. I've given the “I'm not stealing, I just collect coins” bit to people quite a handful of times but usually it starts a conversation about coins which I'm always happy to engage in.

Take a penny, leave a penny... or two

I would be amazed not so many of us do. I am sure many of us when first getting into coins, do with anything interesting that appears in change. For me it was local 50 cent pieces when I was 5 or 6, not for any collecting sense, but because I knew they were huge and worth a lot of money (Well in my opinion).

Whereas the 20 cents only marginally smaller, was worth much less (Going on the size of lolly mixtures!). Having 50 cent coins made you feel rich as most kids got smaller coins and the 20c was the biggest you usually saw.

Much later when I was 8 or 9, someone gave me an old Halfcrown from 1933 and I was fascinated with it, as it was a NZ coin but you couldn't spend it and it felt different. I knew it was an interesting coin so kept it. A few years later I learned it contained silver, which was a precious metal and the value was the old fashioned £/s/d system. By this stage I was 12 and wanted more or them.

The first halfcrown I had was this year, but MUCH more worn.

My collection started with NZ classic coins in less than classic condition, but studying them and learning about them, helped me expand my mind to other places and given our coin heritage only went back to 1933 (If you exclude the 1857 -1882 tokens), it meant gaining 99% of all the dates and type of Kiwi coins was quite easy (I purposely exclude the Waitangi crown and 1935 3d) in marginal condition. That was the base I have built on.

I can imagine this is the case in many countries outside Eurasia, where I know you guys have coin heritage going back 2000+ years, but usually the past 100 years is doable and interesting.

I nearly have every decimal circulating coin design from my country (Australia), which is a lot of coins.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP-AULC5sTIjVqrT297lSNA
Every subscription helps!

Profile Picture - an opel found in Queensland Australia

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 09:47.