Middle Eastern Coin

10 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Got a few middle eastern coins recently.  Identified all except this one.

The year appears to be 1222 (25) which would make it 1832-1833 in Gregorian if I'm correct.  The toughra makes me think Ottoman Empire but I can't seem to find anything.
Diameter is 37.5mm, thickness 1.5mm.  Non-magnetic.

It's very similar to https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces11613.html but it's not quite the same.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away -- and barefoot."
This one?
Hi Glorkar, I'm not an Ottoman expert by any stretch of the imagination but I'll have a go.

I can see why you might think the year is 1222 and that is indeed the accession year for Mustafa IV but it doesn't seem to match any issues struck for that reign. So that leads me to think that it is a worn 1223 which would bring it under the much longer reign of Mahmud II. From looking at other Ottoman coins that I have, the inscription in the middle of the reverse looks like Constantinople mint which would make it Turkish Ottoman and looking for the regnal year above it could be a worn 25. The colour of your coin looks to red to be silver (you would expect silver to be darker) but that may be a red herring (no pun intended) because it could be Billon which is low percentage Silver in a Copper alloy. The diameter is a useful guide but it would be  a big help if you could give us the weight of your coin. Hope this helps  :)
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom, New Zealand & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
Quote: smoked_caramelThis one?
the one in the pic doesn't look silver
The photos make the coin appear much redder than it actually is.
I was wondering if it was actually 1223.
As for the weight, I haven't gotten around to buying one of those little guys yet.  Maybe I'll have to swing by the store this week.
Any clue how to read the value on the reverse of the coin?
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away -- and barefoot."
I say fake.
Quote: kommodoreI say fake.
The more I search, the more I'm coming to the same conclusion.  The "tridents" around the outside just aren't as intricate as all of the others that I'm seeing.  And the flowers in the middle are too well defined.  Every other version of the flower I see has a blob (guessing blossom) in the middle.  Seems like an odd coin to fake though  :~
The date made me think that.
It is very badly written.
You should see very clear if that is a 2 or 3. And you can't.
Well I have to say, other than the date, if it's fake, it's definitely one of the better quality ones I've seen.
I saw many fakes like this around here in Bucucuresti fairs.
Topic locked (Numista Robot, 23-Jan-2019, 11:19 pm)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 05:27 pm.