Menu

Numista token

48 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Xavier Site admin
Hi everyone!

Back to July, one of my friend from Numista suggested an idea, and I would like to share with you as it seems to be a great idea: What about a Numista token?

This would be a token to celebrate this website. The design has not be chosen yet and I think we could organize a contest to choose the best design.

I already contacted a factory which could make the token. Prices should be 2 to 3 EUR (3 to 4 USD, 1.5 to 2.5 GBP) for a common alloy or a silver plated token; for silver tokens, the price is between 8 and 9 EUR (11 and 12 USD, 6 and 8 GBP), excluding shipping cost.
Of course, the idea is not to make money but to celebrate Numista, so the token will be sold at cost price.

Before going any further, I would like to know your opinion about this. Are you as excited as me by this idea? Would you like to have such a token in your collection or as a souvenir?
If so, which metal do you prefer? What price could you afford? Which design would you like to represent Numista?

(PS: The picture is for illustration only, and it's not intended to represent the future token)
Andy289
Yes, the idea it's very good and I like it. If a Numista token will exist I would love to have one. Probably a common alloy would be perfect, in this way the price shoudn't be a problem for everyone that wants to have it.
muralis
Good idea, I can try to make some design ideas but I have to know the size of token and we need some brief about design first (main message/theme, language (French, English, Latin), mood board (inspiration ideas), mind maps, etc.
silver addict Latvian
apuking
Good idea - I would be willing to buy a Silver one, but maybe it would be possible to do both 1 in Silver and another (same design) in another Alloy. I'd love to see a map of the world or a raised-relief world globe if that would be possible. I also know a state-owned minting place here in Germany where people can mint their own tokens but they have a minimum amount that you have to mint (is that also the case for your place?)
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
15turtles
Is it possible to put the date and (other information) on the rim/edge of the coin?
University is time consuming, cherish your free time!

Honi soit qui mal y pense.
Xavier Site admin
It's nice to have positive feedbacks!

15turtles, the factory I contacted can't add lettering on the rim. But perhaps other factories can.

Apuking, I would be interested to contact the minting place you know. The factory I contacted is located in China, and I asked for the price for 200 pieces and 500 pieces, as a rough estimate.
C.john
I may be a newbie but I believe myself a Numista  member - I'd buy one in silver.
remember i for i coins
swap list under reconstruction!
imreh
VERY VERY COOL!

Now, you know me Xavier, so here is my addition:
1) Increase the sales price!
So you can cover about 20-30 free gifts to people who have contributed to Numista in one way or another, the judgement is up to you! (great team-members, great contributors, forum contributors, greatest picture contributors, best shamik-handlers,  etc.... whatever, Monsieur, which is in line with what you want this website to be!
Then it is linked to our goals and mission! Maybe you should spare the silver plated Numista Medallions for them!

2) Announce a competition!
So, that still those people, who have not yet deserved the "Contribution Appreciation Medallion" can have a chance to work on something meaningful on contributing to Numista, and win a silver-plated limited edition Numista Medallion!

Disclaimer: even if I would win any of the above categories, personally I am happy to pay the full price, so this is not a great idea to benefit myself!
marc scott clarke
Great idea  :D
I always wanted to be someone, now I realise I should have been more specific.
imreh
Quote: marc scott clarkeGreat idea  :D

Of course, it is a very great idea!
15turtles
If it's too much of a hassle, the rim text isn't too important.

And yes, silver plated would be nice!

tony_k_1965
Excellent Idea, I would prefer Silver. I also agree with Imreh's idea, it would give users the incentive to contribute to the site.
bam777
What an awesome idea! Gutted I didn't come up with it myself! Although, recently I was thinking of having my own BAM token to put in with my swaps!
I'd love a token in silver...it'd be cool.
torontokuba
Quote: XavierPrices should be 2 to 3 EUR (3 to 4 USD, 1.5 to 2.5 GBP) for a common alloy or a silver plated token; for silver tokens, the price is between 8 and 9 EUR (11 and 12 USD, 6 and 8 GBP), excluding shipping cost.
The idea seems a bit on the narcissistic side to me, especially with those prices. It would have more meaning if it was meant to commemorate a Numismatic Event at which Numista had a presence, or a milestone for Numista (Nr. of Years, Nr. of Members, Nr. of Defamation Lawsuits, etc.). Your connections and current presence in China, should guarantee a token at cost for €0.20 to €0.30. Maybe consider the exchange rate and age of a substantial portion of your members. I would also forget any fancy packaging, making it easier for you to ship all over the world (twice if it gets lost or stolen along the way) with just a stamp.

I picked these up at a local coin show, I believe free with $2 admission or $0.50 for any additional or older ones...

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces38683.html

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces38697.html

Keep in mind, that once again you are only getting responses from Western and Westernish countries. Maybe you should ask in a couple of other languages, aside from French and English, before you and your Numista team end up being called racists, all over again.

Quote: XavierThe factory I contacted is located in China, and I asked for the price for 200 pieces and 500 pieces, as a rough estimate.
Well, a sucker is born every minute. My advice, send someone local to negotiate for you. If that fails, you can get a fair price in Poland.
radrick007
I think a Numista token is still a good idea but perhaps should be base metal to make it affordable and accessible to all. Have a look at these other suggestions from 18 months ago:

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic7065.html
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon

Catalogue referee for Celtic Britain, England, United Kingdom, New Zealand & Pre-Union South Africa
dptashny
I love the idea. I would buy one of both. Perhaps we could make a series and feature famous coins, numismatic events, ect. I would want it to be in a nice presentation case. I would submit a hand-drawn design.
ZuluRaptorSpace
Maybe there are 5 different contest winners, and there are special "proof" limited edition 15 minted 24k-gold plated sterling silver with the extra 7.5% of metal being high-grade copper.
15turtles
Only 15 would be pretty expensive to make... usually it's cheaper (on average) if you order more.

dptashny
Quote: ZuluRaptorSpaceMaybe there are 5 different contest winners, and there are special "proof" limited edition 15 minted 24k-gold plated sterling silver with the extra 7.5% of metal being high-grade copper.
That's private mint stupidity. Don't go for it, ZRS.
hyperborea79
A very good idea! :8D

I'm very happy to tell you my suggestions:

Minting

Personally, I prefer an European minting factory, I give you two names:

1) Pobjoy Mint: http://www.pobjoy.com/ukworld/page.php?xPage=custom_minting.html
2) International Mint: http://www.internationalmint.it/

I don't work for them :P

Metal

I give you two options, to get one of them or both:

1) a bi-metallic token (ie. 25 mm, 10 gr)
2) a two-token set in copper and 999 or 925 silver (ie. 25 mm, 10 gr for copper; 30 mm, 15 gr for silver) -- what a tone will you get? :wiz:

I have no idea of prices and I haven't asked the minting company.
Maybe Xavier could compare prices contacting them.

I will surely ask for buying the bi-metallic and the set.
cncote10
I love the idea and I would totally get one!
ALLRED1950
me too
It is, what it is.
nguzman
I love the idea of a Numista coin.  I for one don't mind what metal is used.  But we need to keep in mind that some that may want this coin need to afford it.  Count me in on buying one.
Diego Knyte
It's a great idea.

It would be cool to have a pure silver version available. Or at least a 90%.
My interweb site: http://www.dknyte.com
Mark240590
I couldn't bring myself to buy one personally I find it a waste of money, unless it's a trolley token for when you go shopping maybe or a customised keyring loupe would probably be better I would say.
BRITISH EMPIRE COLLECTION FOR SALE.INBOX ME IF YOU WANY ANY.

MAY SWAP FOR DURHAM AND NORTHUMBERLAND CONDER TOKENS OR OLD GIBRALTAR QUART COINS/ TOKENS
Walder Coins
Yep I think its a cool idea. It would be great if there could be a base metal and silver token. I would be interested in a bronze and a silver version.
glorkar
You could check out directmint.com and coinsandpins.com.  They both make geocoins.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away -- and barefoot."
Xavier Site admin
I really think this project can succeed.  (8

With your suggestion, I contacted other mints: Pobjoy mint (UK), International Mint (Italy), Staatlichen Münzen Baden-Württemberg (Germany) and now directmint.com.
From their answers, no rim lettering or original shapes are possible if we want to keep cost-effective.

I think we can issue simultaneously the medal in two version: one in fine silver and one in copper, nordic gold, bronzital or an other alloy.
bam777
To be honest, I like the idea that Mark gave of a loupe instead of a token! The loupe serves a function whereas the token doesn't.
Loupes can be engraved or stamped that would be cool.
Still, I like the idea.
smoked_caramel
I'm in for a token. Base metal would work for me.
eminem
Don't know how I missed this thread, but this sounds like a great idea.

Maybe the royal canadian mint could be contacted too?

Also, although many will disagree with me, I think you should try to profit a little bit with the tokens and put the profit into improving the site
Numista referee for Canada and Estonia.
Walder Coins
Quote: eminemDon't know how I missed this thread, but this sounds like a great idea.

Maybe the royal canadian mint could be contacted too?

Also, although many will disagree with me, I think you should try to profit a little bit with the tokens and put the profit into improving the site
Not a bad idea but if we do a small run the cost of the token will be quite high in the first place. Perhaps we should get an idea as to how many will be required first.
lidianb
I like the idea of a Numista token, and the idea of commemorating something as suggested above. My suggestions would be:

Not to be expensive, so as many members would purchase it, not many collectors from the East are rich as the Western ones.

The second, not to be plated, as this get removed very easily, I mean silver plating, or copper plating, I hate such plated coins, tokens, as they tend to loose the plating very easily.

Would be more economical if minted in China I think, maybe stainless steel or copper nickel, or bronzital.
Check my coins for sale:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/lidianb
https://www.facebook.com/lidianbcoins/  
Kooikerfreund
Very good idea, if the Numista Token would exist, I would like to have one.

Best regards
omarove
I think this is the greatest idea ever, and I'd like to have it silver.
Omarove
Dutchgalego
Great idea indeed. Count me in for a silver version!
Always ready to swap!  FAO and square coins have my interest.
Evelynn
Quote: XavierI really think this project can succeed.

I think we can issue simultaneously the medal in two version: one in fine silver and one in copper, nordic gold, bronzital or an other alloy.
I agree, sign me up for one of each, or maybe more of the base metal ones that I can give as gifts. I like CuNi or nordic gold.
 :*
Honesty is never seen sitting astride the fence.  ~L. Washburn
bam777
Dear All,

I have thought long and hard about my design entry. This is what I have come up with. What do you all think? I really would like to win this competition so I'd like it if you could share your sentiments on the token via PM to me!

The obverse Italian inspired with an androgynous face inspecting a coin.

The reverse UK inspired from the 1973 EEC coin, this time with hands exchanging different types of coins with Numista in the centre and a non descript pile of coins. The lettering Exchange without borders and the French echanges sans frontiers.
Dato Mikeladze
hello, dear all

where may I   get this  token?  
Id love to have   at least one piece.

Numista referee for  Georgia.  Also  for Belgian Congo, Congo free state, Katanga, Kenya, Ruanda-Burundi, Ruanda-Urundi, Seychelles
sujit_kumar
Quote: Dato Mikeladzehello, dear all

where may I   get this  token?  
Id love to have   at least one piece.
I would say try swapping with someone who has them,

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces51954.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces51955.html
“A man without a hobby is only half alive.”
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
imreh
I bet that is the only real option.

Somehow this Xavier's last attempt to commemorate Himself, coincides with the time when he was disappearing from the site totally.
it was business-wise very stupid decision :(  :(
Dato Mikeladze
Quote: imrehI bet that is the only real option.

Somehow this Xavier's last attempt to commemorate Himself, coincides with the time when he was disappearing from the site totally.
it was business-wise very stupid decision :(  :(
but what its  real swap price - I dont know...  is it expencive? or cheap...   ???
Numista referee for  Georgia.  Also  for Belgian Congo, Congo free state, Katanga, Kenya, Ruanda-Burundi, Ruanda-Urundi, Seychelles
Muenzenhamster
Swap price is 6.98$ for the silver edition
Main Referee for Hutt-River
derf
Quote: MuenzenhamsterSwap price is 6.98$ for the silver edition

For spot silver (bullion value) would be 7.70USD as of last spot closing.  This is if you're only interested in the silver content.
? Format  Format  Format ?   ?
Do not argue with ignorant people .. !! They will drag you down to their level, then pulverize you with experience ...
Dato Mikeladze
thanks, dears.  well, I`ll try to contact its owners.
KartWay
You know what - it would be great if there could be a new Numista token competition and new token every year or every few years, but with the place now been abandoned by the boss, it doesn't seem likely.

Also with the downturn now would they be as easy to sell to us than last ones were?

You are correct imreh, business-wise this dissapearing act has been a disaster.

It is still fixable, but not for forever.
Papprika
Quote: KartWayYou know what - it would be great if there could be a new Numista token competition and new token
I agree!!!
imreh
Quote: Papprika
Quote: KartWayYou know what - it would be great if there could be a new Numista token competition and new token
I agree!!!
Why do you want this poor Xavier guy to go into more financial troubles with unfunded fantasy projects?  ;)  :(  -
He already has lost a lot of money on the first issue of commemorating himself...

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 02:43AM.