Aussie Crown

16 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hi - I have just got this coin and the finish of it just does not seem right; sadly I don't have precision scales to verify its weight. What do you think guys - real or fake ??

thanks in advance Marc
I always wanted to be someone, now I realise I should have been more specific.
looks genuine to me just been cleaned
I'm really not sure: the engravers marks seem to be fudged to me!
Since I have scanned the coin I have also noticed this fault part of the 'D' is missing
If it's a copy it will be 38.5mm diameter and not 38mm also thickness of a copy is 4mm where as the genuine one should be 2.9mm.
see this link
http://www.sterlingcurrency.com.au/research/new-counterfeit-kids-block-chinese-dud-coins
Nice link , thanks Tony .The dimensions correspond with a genuine coin  :)
I don't know why someone would fake them.  They're not that rare and expensive.  They usually sell over here for $30-$35, but there does seem to be something a little off with the coin.
The lettering and denticles look bizarre. Without seeing it in person I would say it is authentic. However, it looks altered; like it has been whizzed (http://cointerms.com/glossary/w_definitions.htm), and not very well. That would explain the damaged "D" and some of the finer lettering being worn unnaturally.
Hi Mark I think you may be right
I don't know about you guys, but it looks cast, especially on the obverse.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
Does it have a nice ring to it when you tap the rim with a pen or something while balancing it on your finger? If not it is probably cast (or recovered from a shipwreck...which is not the case here I think :)) A nice long ring is characteristic of a struck coin.
Of struck *silver* coins.
it does have a really nice ring, when I tap it
Well I finally have a precision scale and the coin weighs only 19 grams , so therefore a fake
Definately was something off about it. The first colon on the right of the crown's top on the reverse right had the bottom of a circle, and the top of an elongated diamond. Well, let's see how bad it is... how much did you pay for it?
Looks zinc or steel. Probably the former, as steel does not have that nice ring. Take a magnet to it.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 15:09.