Numista token design contest

124 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hello everyone!

The idea of a token to celebrate Numista and its community got some good feedback. So it has been decided to make two versions, one in silver and the other in alloy. They both will have the same design and they will be 30 mm large.
Now we can go to the next step ;)

The contest for design of the future Numista token is now launched!

Instructions
- You can freely choose the design, as long as it is related to Numista.
- The coin should have "Numista" as lettering.
- If there are any other lettering, they should be both in English and French.
- If you use other pictures for the design, make sure you have the rights to use them for this project.

Design submission deadline
October 20th, 2013

How to participate?
Send me your design by PM with the title "Numista token design contest" before the deadline.
You can post your draft on this topic to get advices and opinions about your design.
The selected design will be arranged by a professional who will sculpt the model in relief.
You accept to give the ownership of the design to Numista for using it for the token.

Selection of the design
The design will be selected through two steps:
- Jedsada and me will make a selection of the 5 best designs
- Members will vote among the 5 selected design to choose the best one.

Reward
The author of the selected design will win:
- the joy of having his/her design on a token with a mintage of several hundred pieces  :)
- the two versions of the token for free
In additon to the "official" instructions, here are a few suggestions.

It would be good to illustrate some of the values of Numista: sharing, conviviality, exchange, knowledge, etc.

Why not add a motto. I really enjoy this sentence from @josephjk, which was posted on the forum some time ago: "Took my collection to a different level!" But the translation to French is uneasy...

Of course the coin aspect should be represented too. You could show some coins or some traditional motifs of coins: wreath, busts, etc.
This is not all me. But I like the French franc with Numista on it. Maybe hands holding coins all the way around. Not good at drawing things not on paper.
It is, what it is.

A simple design, perhaps there could be another side, but there doesn't have to be.
A possible reverse:

The reverse(?) of the silver version:

Will the final five designs be displayed with or without the artists name?

Also is there a limit on how many designs an individual can submit?
Actually, I think the obverse and reverse should be included.
your criticism of this design are welcome.  X-D

Dispone domui tuae, quia morieris tu, et non vives.
Referee for Ascension Island, Falkland Islands, Saint Helena, Saint Helena & Ascension, South Georgia & S. Sandwich Islands, Tristan da Cunha
@Frenchlover - I love the side with the continents, but I think the translation is somewhat off on the text.  It just doesn't sound right.  And I don't know, I think the owl is a little too specific of an image.  I look at that and think it's a Greek token.

@dptashny - I like the pile of coins, but the details would need to be sharper.  It just looks a little cloudy or something.  And the reverse is nice using the Numista script, but again, the French coin (even though it's part of the logo) is a little too country specific.  I know the site started off French, but it's global now, so the token should be too.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away -- and barefoot."
we'll let the owl fly away :love:

Design evolution :

Referee for Ascension Island, Falkland Islands, Saint Helena, Saint Helena & Ascension, South Georgia & S. Sandwich Islands, Tristan da Cunha
Just a little explanation on my design.

On the English side, there is the concept of the "village".
In English, it is really the community, sharing, friendliness, mutual aid.
In short, everything that the U.S. would want to find in the Greenwich Village ...

And "The village" is unique.

On the other side, it's in French.
How to translate "world coins" in French ...

"Parts of currency of the world".

It's too long ... so long my dear ... B.

and even the idea of the village is not the same in France. It is a little outdated ...

In French, it's more "the world of world currency" that reflects this idea. But there is repetition.
So the "The world of currency" (Le monde des pièces de monnaie) " is more appropriate in French. And even better:
"A whole world of currency" (Tout un monde de pièces")
would be totally appropriate, but it is really too French speaking...

For the handshake is the usability but also a "good deal", a "good swap", which is why I came to Numista !

I think as glorkar that it is not necessary to stipulate that Numista was originally French.

Frankly, the word "Coins" in many languages would be more appropriate than a simple translation in French. The word "Coins" in Russian, in Chinese, in Sinhala (it's too fine), etc ... all around the reverse face of the coins should be appropriate.

The principle of competition is to find a concept that fits to all of us.

You can make virtual coins here:
http://www.onlinewahn.de/generator/m-maker.htm
Go to bottom of page and you can design your coin. Google translate will help if you don't understand German

But even an good idea, a picture and a slogan would fit.

Numista will find someone who plays well with photoshop to finalize the design. :P
Don't worry and submit your design
Thanks
Quote: Frenchlover.../...

I think as glorkar that it is not necessary to stipulate that Numista was originally French.

.../...

The principle of competition is to find a concept that fits to all of us.
I agree with him  ;)
I like this reverse better than my first one. What do you guys say?

And the Token should be dated !

This website even better for coin design:
http://theworldofcoins.com/en/
Quote: Frenchloverwe'll let the owl fly away :love:

Design evolution :

I love this :love:

The only restriction : the French translation is too long in my opinion...Maybe " Le monde des monnaies"...but in this case it is not obvious that only coins are involved (and not banknotes)...

Good idea anyway ;)
Je ne collectionne que les euros, et notamment les commémoratives
T'as eu la Belge 2013?
What happened to the llamas ?
BRITISH EMPIRE COLLECTION FOR SALE.INBOX ME IF YOU WANY ANY.

MAY SWAP FOR DURHAM AND NORTHUMBERLAND CONDER TOKENS OR OLD GIBRALTAR QUART COINS/ TOKENS
Quote: FrenchloverT'as eu la Belge 2013?
Yes, of course  ;)

Oui, bien sûr ;)
Quote: Walder CoinsWill the final five designs be displayed with or without the artists name?
Without, but you wil probably be able to guess from the forum.

Quote: Walder CoinsAlso is there a limit on how many designs an individual can submit?
No limit  :8D

Quote: FrenchloverAnd the Token should be dated !
Sure, it would be better to have the date.
Quote: Xavier
Quote: Walder CoinsWill the final five designs be displayed with or without the artists name?
Without, but you wil probably be able to guess from the forum.

Quote: Walder CoinsAlso is there a limit on how many designs an individual can submit?
No limit  :8D

Quote: FrenchloverAnd the Token should be dated !
Sure, it would be better to have the date.
Hi,

Only talking about the design? I saw only shape=ROUND design! No other suggestions?

And what about the (mine suggestion) :
Value 1 Ounce (1)
Metal Copper (.999) & Silver (.999)
Weight 31.107 g
Diameter 32.69 mm
Thickness ?? mm -> Depends on Weight/Diameter and Shape!
Shape Round
Orientation Medal alignment ↑↑
With regards.
Bert.
Netherlands.
First draft: Click the image to view at full resolution.

OBV

REV

In silver:

OBV

REV

Also, my thought is that the 'N' on the reverse would be in the same font as the 'N' in Numista on the main page. I didn't bother looking around though, just wanted to get the idea together before it escaped me. I also thought integrating the globe into the rim of the coin could be a good idea. That is, the land of the continents would be raised like the rim of the coin and would be seamless. The ocean part of the globe would be indented and the rim would be raised where it connects to the ocean. I'm open to all suggestions.
PKH
Quote: peterkhullFirst draft: Click the image to view at full resolution.

OBV

REV

In silver:

OBV

REV

Also, my thought is that the 'N' on the reverse would be in the same font as the 'N' in Numista on the main page. I didn't bother looking around though, just wanted to get the idea together before it escaped me. I also thought integrating the globe into the rim of the coin could be a good idea. That is, the land of the continents would be raised like the rim of the coin and would be seamless. The ocean part of the globe would be indented and the rim would be raised where it connects to the ocean. I'm open to all suggestions.
Why ROUND-shape??

Using for example this shape!
With regards.
Bert.
Netherlands.
It's a cost issue, round is cheaper.
I thought something like this:

Coin referee for: ASM, AZE, FRO, GRL, HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, PCN, TCA, UZB, WSM, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, ECS, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MRT, MNG, PRK, WSM, ROK, SWE, TJK, PMR, TKM, UZB, ZWE
Quote: ngdawaI though something like this:

Don't forget that the inscriptions should be in English and in French ;)
I don't believe it...someone has taken my slogan idea! But...great minds think alike.
To complete my first essay/test, here's both obverse and reverse:
Coin referee for: ASM, AZE, FRO, GRL, HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, PCN, TCA, UZB, WSM, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, ECS, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MRT, MNG, PRK, WSM, ROK, SWE, TJK, PMR, TKM, UZB, ZWE
And a brass version of my both proposals:

TYPE 1)

TYPE 2)
ngdawa, I like the first one. One little improvement though - distribute the *** more evenly across the empty space between the words.
Are we going to vote?
I have an idea, it's not much, and I have no ideas for the reverse, but here it is  :D
Quote: bennycunha97I have an idea, it's not much, and I have no ideas for the reverse, but here it is  :D
Maybe it's better with "One World" than "A World"?
Quote: smoked_caramelngdawa, I like the first one. One little improvement though - distribute the *** more evenly across the empty space between the words.
Yeah I noticed that too, will try to fix that. Thanks!
Quote: ngdawaTo complete my first essay/test, here's both obverse and reverse:
I like this one  :love:
Quote: Faële
Quote: ngdawaTo complete my first essay/test, here's both obverse and reverse:
I like this one  :love:
I like this
Hey everyone,

What is the official motto for Numista in English?

I know in French it is Votre collection des pieces en ligne.

Thanks.
University is time consuming, cherish your free time!

Honi soit qui mal y pense.
Quote: 15turtlesHey everyone,

What is the official motto for Numista in English?

I know in French it is Votre collection des pieces en ligne.

Thanks.
It should be something like: Your coin collection online, I guess.
Hello Everyone,

Ignore color please, when its actually struck, its only matte and cameo.

Designwise, how is it?

Thanks,

I reckon it feels too French with The Sower on the reverse. Shouldn't it be more "neutral"?
Quote: szmataI though something like this:
Quote: ngdawaDon't forget that the inscriptions should be in English and in French ;)
Why...  !!!  If the slogan or motto is going to be " Swap with the World ", that's international, and the international language is English.

The way it looks to me is, Numista is actually two sites...  One International and one French.  Have two Tokens....
? Format  Format  Format ?   ?
Do not argue with ignorant people .. !! They will drag you down to their level, then pulverize you with experience ...
Quote: derfHave two Tokens....
Why 2 tokens?

Why do you want to separate the French-speaking members and the English-speaking members?

There is only one site, called "Numista" and created in France by Xavier.

One coin or token is enough and I don't see any reason why it could not be in 2 languages.

French is also an international language used in many countries of Europa, Africa...and also America.
I see it like this: We make two token, but put them together! One side is for the English speaking members (or rather the non French speakers), and the other side if for the French speaking members. If/Since each side have different layout, we basically have two Tokens, but "united" with each other, right?  (8  
Quote: szmata
Quote: derfHave two Tokens....
Why 2 tokens?

Why do you want to separate the French-speaking members and the English-speaking members?

There is only one site, called "Numista" and created in France by Xavier.

One coin or token is enough and I don't see any reason why it could not be in 2 languages.

French is also an international language used in many countries of Europa, Africa...and also America.
Looks like a nerve was struck, mon ami ..!!

1)    I did not say that "I wanted to separate", they are separated.

2a)  If there is only one site then why is the two URLs  .. ??
       a) https://en.numista.com
       b) https://fr.numista.com  (if that isn't separated, tell me what is)

2b)  What does it matter where it was created and by whom, as to what languages are used.. ?

2c)  Whenever the French portion is referred to it's: "Look on the French Site"

3)  Then why not German, Spanish, Dutch or any one of the many other languages.. ?

4)  Sorry, French lost it's international language status a long time ago...  But go to any learning institute that teaches languages (outside of France) and they specifically state that English is the only international language. By your example so is Spanish, Portuguese, Russian and several other languages that are spoken in different countries around the globe.

Besides, if you weren't wearing your Paris Frenchness on your cuff, you would have comprehended that I was only making an observation, due to the statement that the token "SHOULD" be in English and French.

Take a chill pill and relax .........  :8D  :8D  :8D
Do not argue with ignorant people .. !! They will drag you down to their level, then pulverize you with experience ...
Quote: derf
Quote: szmataI though something like this:
Quote: ngdawaDon't forget that the inscriptions should be in English and in French ;)
Why...  !!!  If the slogan or motto is going to be " Swap with the World ", that's international, and the international language is English.

The way it looks to me is, Numista is actually two sites...  One International and one French.  Have two Tokens....
I was also only making an observation.

No more comments.
Quote: 15turtlesDesignwise, how is it?
The troll of the obverse face is very nice :D .

The reverse face seems to me a little bit too French for a worldwide coin :°
I just thought the sower was more of a representation of Numista, and not that much to France in this case.

The Numista symbol on the top right.

EDIT** I know that la semeuse is a symbol that strongly represents France, but this is used in another sense, if you may.

Quote: 15turtlesI just thought the sower was more of a representation of Numista, and not that much to France in this case.

The Numista symbol on the top right.

EDIT** I know that la semeuse is a symbol that strongly represents France, but this is used in another sense, if you may.
Of course the Sower (or le semeuse, if you'd like) could be a symbol representing the Numista Community, but then, the logo of this website IS a French 1 Franc coin. The same with the owl we had earlier. Of course an owl could be neutral, but I reckon that most of us the owl and the Sower leads our thoughts to Greece and France. Or am I wrong?
Not wrong, just saying why I choose that design even though la semeuse has strong links to France.

Great job everyone. I am glad I am not a judge, they are all so good.
Personally I think we should use Frenchlover's icon (kidding).
 :*
Honesty is never seen sitting astride the fence.  ~L. Washburn
Quote: ngdawaAnd a brass version of my both proposals:

TYPE 1)

TYPE 2)
In my opinion, the best possibility would be to give away the main picture from the reverse of "Type 2" and give there the main picture from the reverse of "Type 1" /the coins/ instead of it. Than it would be the best design so far /as I think/.
By the way - who is the founder of Numista? Maybe it would be good to make the token with his head and name on one side /and information "The founder of Numista" in both languages/;-)
Dear All,

I have thought long and hard about my design entry. This is what I have come up with. What do you all think? I really would like to win this competition so I'd like it if you could share your sentiments on the token via PM to me!

The obverse Italian inspired with an androgynous face inspecting a coin.

The reverse UK inspired from the 1973 EEC coin, this time with hands exchanging different types of coins with Numista in the centre and a non descript pile of coins. The lettering Exchange without borders and the French echanges sans frontiers.
Quote: bam777Dear All,

I have thought long and hard about my design entry. This is what I have come up with. What do you all think? I really would like to win this competition so I'd like it if you could share your sentiments on the token via PM to me!

The obverse Italian inspired with an androgynous face inspecting a coin.

The reverse UK inspired from the 1973 EEC coin, this time with hands exchanging different types of coins with Numista in the centre and a non descript pile of coins. The lettering Exchange without borders and the French echanges sans frontiers.
Well, it's great ;-) Maybe even better than the one about which I have spoken a couple of minutes ago ;-)
à bam777

Waou  ! Tu dessines vraiment bien !
C'est du beau boulot . Et très joli résultat pour ce jeton Numista.

to bam777

Wow ! You draw very well !
It's a beautiful work !  And very good result for this Numista token.
It's a very nice design, and I think that all of us who had made an design are eager to win :) But, it still feels like it's an Italian token. My first thoughts was drawn to Italy. We have earlier declared to make a neutral token, since we've had some French inspired designs.
Magnific Ben :love:
Ma boutique eBay : http://www.ebay.fr/sch/monephil_numista/m.html
L'ANRD : http://www.facebook.com/anrdgrenoble  -  http://a.n.r.d.free.fr/
Beautiful design Ben. Awesome!

Quote: bam777Dear All,

I have thought long and hard about my design entry. This is what I have come up with. What do you all think?
Beats the pants off of my design. I'm just paving the road for your win... ;)

thank you for your contribution 8) , humor is an option that no one had picked up so far
Really, I thought you were first with the humor on coins. Nice breasts! :°
I am about to submit some more designs, I hope the submission isn't over!
Hello,

The deadline is now over. Here are the list of members who sent me a design. I also added the designs from the members who only posted their (complete and valid) design on the forum.

15turtles
annozi.frizi
bam777
dptashny
Faële
Fataghost
filipe_slb
Frenchlover
guard
KAISERKILLERfr08
mucuu
ngdawa
papi
peterkhull
robert_
wam80
Xavier

If you missed the deadline but still want to participate, please contact me very quickly.
The 5 selected designs will be announced and undergo a vote soon.
Quote: XavierHello,

The deadline is now over. Here are the list of members who sent me a design. I also added the designs from the members who only posted their (complete and valid) design on the forum.

15turtles
annozi.frizi
bam777
dptashny
Faële
Fataghost
filipe_slb
Frenchlover
guard
KAISERKILLERfr08
mucuu
ngdawa
papi
peterkhull
robert_
wam80
Xavier

If you missed the deadline but still want to participate, please contact me very quickly.
The 5 selected designs will be announced and undergo a vote soon.
X-I-TED!!  :8D  :8D  :8D
Quote: XavierI also added the designs from the members who only posted their (complete and valid) design on the forum.
Of course, no worries, you won't hear from me over that correct decision.
Lots of competition!

The designs that look like real submissions but were only posted on the forum have been considered because I don't want to penalize those who didn't understand they should send me a PM. Some members thought it was enough to post on the forum. I have contacted them to check if they want to participate or not before making the selection of the 5 designs for the next step.
Thank to all the participants who submitted a design. We received a total of 22 designs and many of them were very good!

Jedsada and me chose the 5 designs we prefer:

by bam777
by Faële
by KAISERKILLERfr08
by peterkhull
by ngdawa

As I can't judge for my own design, we didn't include it for the choice of the 5 designs, so members will vote to choose the best design among 6 designs: the 5 selected designs and mine.

by me

The vote will be open later today and will run until November 3.
You can vote now!
Quote: XavierAs I can't judge for my own design, we didn't include it for the choice of the 5 designs, so members will vote to choose the best design among 6 designs: the 5 selected designs and mine.

by me
That's ok, I'll judge it for you. Your coin tree design is even more jumbled up than the Numista banner. You take away the colour and detail of every coin on your tree and you get a tree with circles.

Many of the designs have just too much detail to show off on a tiny token, unless you're planning on a 38mm+ diameter. This design has to be practical and possible to duplicate through a die strike. The only design I see as a feasible choice and one that has the potential to be crisp and clear after the striking, is this one...

by KAISERKILLERfr08

In my opinion, the "KISS" rule applies for small detailed coin or token designs.

I have been part of a coin T-shirt design contest. The designs poured in and the fanciest, dark burgundy, jumbled, etc. design won. Two clear and simple, black on white, designs were second and third. The latter two would have been simple and inexpensive to produce. The first one has not seen the light of day and probably never will. The cost of printing detailed colourful coin designs on a dark burgundy surface are way too costly.

If you really want this token idea to happen, vote for the one that is actually possible to produce using a die, will be economical in price for the die design and one that will actually show the details you see on the projects after being struck.
No kidding, torontokuba! Although I think Ben's design might be okay too (the coin will be 30mm). And one more, I don't remember who designed it.
Depends, if he wants that pile of berries in the middle to stay, and those hands to keep passing berries, it will be a token with berries.
BTW, on Kaiserkiller's design, it should be "Unity" and not "Togetherness"

Quote: 15turtlesBTW, on Kaiserkiller's design, it should be "Unity" and not "Togetherness"
I've been thinking of this a bit, and now you just mentioned it; I reckon that after we have decided for a layout, someone who's native in French and someone who's native in English should check the texting so we won't have a token with a weird Google Translate translation. And then of course have a chat with the designer just to inform and check if he or she is okay with a smaller change in the translation.

What do you say?
When designing this token I did take this into consideration.
But, I agree.
Quote: 15turtlesBTW, on Kaiserkiller's design, it should be "Unity" and not "Togetherness"
In that case, Xavier's is also wrong?
Quote: bam777When designing this token I did take this into consideration.
But, I agree.
What do you agree with? Unity? Berries?
Translation not berries!
Well, sort of. Togetherness isn't really a word, and if it is, it is quite unprofessional sounding.

I don't mean offense to anyone, just putting this out there that there are better words.

It is in my dictionary...

togetherness |təˈgeðərnəs|
noun
the state of being close to another person or other people : the sense of family togetherness was strong and excluded neighbors.

... thesaurus...

togetherness
noun
the camp inspired togetherness: cohesion, cohesiveness, harmony, fellowship, camaraderie, close bond(s).
Then I have a bad dictionary (Internet!)

But still, unity sounds better.

I agree my design has too much details to be strike exactly like on the picture. The idea is more to represent a great number of coins (including many countries), and I think it's acceptable to have blurry coins. To me, the most important is to represent coins, not to be able to identify every single coin.

I also agree with the need of proofreading lettering by native speakers.
Quote: 15turtlesBut still, unity sounds better.
In my opinion, Fellowship or Camaraderie would be a better choice for a translation..  Unity, to me, puts too much of a boundary or binding feeling to it...
Quote: torontokubaIt is in my dictionary...

togetherness |təˈgeðərnəs|
noun
the state of being close to another person or other people : the sense of family togetherness was strong and excluded neighbors.

... thesaurus...

togetherness
noun
the camp inspired togetherness: cohesion, cohesiveness, harmony, fellowship, camaraderie, close bond(s).

So, togetherness is appropriate if it means fellowship, camaraderie. No?

I'm agree with you when you say "the unity sounds" is wrong, if you know a word which means "the pleasure to be assemble, with others numismatists on Numista for discuss and share our knowledges", I'm very interesting!
Maybe fellowship would be appropriate. Camaraderie sounds like it would be better for a Russian translation, comrade. ;)
Nice joke! :O

Ok, tomorrow, I will change the text reverse text.
Would camaraderie now be more appropriate for the French side of the translation? Camaraderie - Fellowship ...?

There is also an option of Communaute - Community...

Seems to have been approved and used in a bilingual country.
In French, "camaraderie" reminds the youngs children at school or USSR and red army :`

"Convivialité" it is really the pleasure to be with others peoples, to discuss, etc.

In French it is the best word for describe the good relations in a community!
Quote: KAISERKILLERfr08In french, "camaraderie" reminds the youngs children at scholl or URSS and red army :`
See, same red army problem. :D
I keep looking at the coins each day and try to make a decision. So far no luck.
I like the face and hands of Bam and the mottoes of Kaiserkiller, so I think it is between those two for me.
Maybe they should collaborate?
 z|
p.s. I like "togetherness".
Honesty is never seen sitting astride the fence.  ~L. Washburn
I was actually thinking it's a pretty feminine word to describe a predominantly manly hobby. You second that. ;) Togetherness = Da Brothahood.
Yesterday, I sent to Xavier the reverse with Fellowship ;)
I really like this one from the CoinCommunity Forum though; http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/auction_item.asp?intAuctionID=7815
As the deadline for the winner approaches I just wanted to ask you all if you haven't voted, please vote for my design.
I wanted something to be beautiful and non descript with the coins. I didn't want them to be recognisable as coins just generic.
I recognise that the token is Italian and English looking but the language I used was thought out; it didn't need to change and it is all about the collection of coins.
So, if you haven't voted consider my token! I just wanted to discuss my design.
Shameless plug... ;) ... berries anyone? :D
Quote: torontokubaShameless plug... ;) ... berries anyone? :D
I have voted for number 5, the one with the 2 hands and the coin;

Beautiful
Yes, it is a plug. And I am not ashamed just asking for support.
Quote: bam777Yes, it is a plug. And I am not ashamed just asking for support.
I don't see Peterkhull on the list of swappers.

Why?

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 06:54PM.