Plan to mint Bitcoin moves a step closer

8 posts
Will be a nice discussion if/where/how to add them into the catalogue! :)

"Plans to physically mint the booming virtual currency Bitcoin have moved a step closer after the Channel Island of Alderney launched a bid to become the first jurisdiction in the world to do so.

As the global race to capitalise on the booming virtual currency heats up, Alderney has been working on plans to issue physical Bitcoins in partnership with the Royal Mint.

According to the Financial Times, Alderney wants to launch itself as the first international centre for Bitcoin transactions by setting up a cluster of services that are compliant with anti-money laundering rules, including exchanges, payment services and a Bitcoin storage vault.

If minted, the Bitcoin would become part of the Royal Mint’s commemorative collection and would have a gold content with a figure of around £500, which would mean that holders could conceivably melt the coins and sell the metal if the exchange value of the currency was to collapse."

Source: Bobsguide, http://www.bobsguide.com/guide/news/2013/Dec/2/plan-to-mint-bitcoin-moves-a-step-closer.html
  I guess the one I have is not real then - just a representation ?! What will it look like and what size ?

Mine (shown above) is a 39mm diameter copper 'round' and I got it a year ago in December.  :)
Doesn't that kind of defeat the whole point of digital currency.  I was under the impression that one of it's main points was that there was no centralized establishment in control of the supply.  I see this failing hard.  Cartoon off a cliff hard.
"What we are is not as important as what we aren't"
Am I the only one who doesn't grasp the bitcoin concept?

I read their wiki some years ago and remain just as clueless. I even have a fraction of one, worth about $80 now it seems. Couldn't tell you how I earned it or even where it is.

Am I thick or something?
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
I don't really get it either.  I understand the concept, but it's implementation is way to early.
It's basically a universal currency with no exchange rate.  1/10 of a bitcoin in the US is the same as 1/10 of a bitcoin in New Zealand.
"What we are is not as important as what we aren't"
I don't really get it either, I did see this article relating to bitcoins the other day

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2516708/Savvy-student-gets-24-000-strangers-holding-sign.html
Quote: pnightingaleAm I the only one who doesn't grasp the bitcoin concept?

I read their wiki some years ago and remain just as clueless. I even have a fraction of one, worth about $80 now it seems. Couldn't tell you how I earned it or even where it is.

Am I thick or something?
You're not alone. This thread is the first time I ever heard of it. :)        PS So would this be more of a token than a coin ?
If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything
Now would be a good time to start exchanging your bitcoins.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 06:36.