Most unpopular country?

167 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Which country's coins do you find least desirable?
You know the feeling when you spot what looks like a nice old coin in a pile of junk, but when you look closer your heart sinks as you realize it's a coin from ___________ .

I have dozens and dozens of coins from Costa Rica including vintage dates and larger, crown sized denominations. I've kept a few really nice ones and the rest I put in my swap list. And there they remain. I think I've swapped coins from all over the world but never one from Costa Rica.

So that's my vote: Costa Rica

Yugoslavia would rank as close second. They already get stick over their cars so I spared them.

Let's take a poll. Regular circulation coinages only , no silly commemorative gold-plated non-circulating issues, otherwise it would just become a contest between Liberia and Canada.

The winner gets to swap my Costa Rica and Yugoslavian coins for 19th Century British copper.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
I'd say Thailand.
Cuba.
I would rank 1st Yugoslavia.
Philippines for sure!!
I would also say Yugoslavia,even their vintage coins don't move from the swap list
Check my coins for sale:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/lidianb
https://www.facebook.com/lidianbcoins/  
Oh, this is tough!

...UK, USA, Australia X-D

All of them show up too often in junk bins and change. In this way, I lose money... except when finding a 20p in a 5c roll!
Federal Republic of Germany. Bores the pants off me!
Quote: nalaberongOh, this is tough!

...UK, USA, Australia X-D

All of them show up too often in junk bins and change. In this way, I lose money... except when finding a 20p in a 5c roll!
I think every single swap offer I get includes some commemorative coins from Australia and UK...

My vote goes to India.  Their thumbs up coin gets a big thumbs down from me.
Yugoslovia and China in my opinion
V. Nagarajan
My vote to Yugoslavia. And second vote to Sweden.
Let's Do A Swap To Know Each Other Culture.
Coins of Saudi Arabia are extremely boring. I think most coins from various Arabic countries are pretty dull and I suppose would not be popularly collected.

But to be fair, I find coins of my country extremely boring as well, but maybe I am the only one feeling that; everyone somehow has them on this site, because no one is asking for them from my swap list ;)  ;)  ;)  ;) Or they really are highly undesirable
For me its Israel
I dont know why, but i dont like israel coins(
Best regards,
Ilya.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
pustoshkinia@gmail.com
 Thats a hard one.Yugoslavia is the 4 country iam trying to get a full set, have around 150 differnt. Israel is up there but found this coin and like it

I would have to say euros.There are some really nice ones. And iam a hard core penny and 2 cent collector. But being in the US they seem to me over valued.
It is, what it is, or is it.
I'm going to go with Israel as well.  Just something about them.
"What we are is not as important as what we aren't"
For me, Belgium and their new franks :x

https://fr.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1254.html
http://fr.numista.com/echanges/membre.php?id=23098
Well if Yugoslavia is so unappreciated country and if You guys collect Yugoslavia coins, You can look at my swap list because I have many coins from Yugoslavia. ;)

For me, the most unpopular country is China.
Regards
Kuna
Check my doubles. ;)
South Korea- I don't won anymore. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

I normally like Iceland coins, but this one was a stinker- I saw the 50 Kronur side first in a lot I bought, and got excited:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces4207.html
Really? That is one of my favourite Icelandic coins. I think Iceland is significantly underappreciated...
I don't like agreeing with him, but, bam777 hit the nail on the head. Germany has saturated world coin trays on almost every continent, with redundant crap in quintuplicate.
Nobody has India?

I like the early coins of the Republic of India, but since they invented stainless steel coins the quality of nearly every circulation coin is terrible.
There are too many Indian coins with a British identity that appeal to collectors. The current British coins are rubbish too, but, the old ones gave many countries charm, prestige, an identity and a solid place in this hobby.
You have both just been added to the jihadist hitlist for racism against Indian coins.

I always liked the Ashoka Pillar types but the modern stuff looks like car wash tokens.
Least favorite country? It's country of orgin here.

Countries with redundant coin types that are basic or boring. I'm looking at US, German, Indian, Peruvian, and Euro coins.

Really you can point a finger at any modern coin and say "that's my least favorite country." Modern Yugoslav coins from 50's onwards are plain and yucky, but the old imperial coins are worth taking a gander at. Costa Rican coins from the 40's and before have some charm. Thai coins are hard to identify and their modern coins are nothing to look at, but their 60's commemoratives have some really great medallic charm to them.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
When I collected by year, I didn't like Israel, Japan, Thailand... because it was hard to determine the year. :)
I don't like the look of Spanish and Belgian coins. Costa Rica has many similar designs and I can see that being boring too. I was born in Yugoslavia and I will not vote for it but coins are plain (exept coins after 1990 which I really like)
So My final answer is
1.Spain
2 Belgium
3 Israel
Israel is my least favorite.
I love most of the coins of Europe but Spain's coins really dont appeal to me at all. They are fairly vanilla and the portrait of the king lacks that certain je ne sais quoi. Of course i didn't really consider the countries that pump out crap like Niue and such...their coins offend my numismatic sensibilities
For me at moment it is coins from Thailand. Although coins from India and China come close after.
It all might change when i look more into them, but at that point i just don't know enough about them to be more interested.
I guess the fact that it feels hard to determine the year on them for me makes them less appealing as well...
At least until i read up and learn more about them.
I like Thai coins quite a lot, actually!

Early baht coins are very nice :love:

Then in the 50s and 60s, we have many very intricate and lovely commemorative designs...

And nowadays, there are even more commemoratives to look out for, plus it is easy to find non-commemorative types. I really like the commemorative 10-baht coins... I think they do a very good job at making nice designs that take advantage of the bimetallic composition, plus every one is worth 2 euros to me X-D

I also don't have much of a problem with Spain. Earlier peseta coins are a bit plain, but following the big "reform" in the time of Juan Carlos, they become very interesting! I really like the holed 25pts and "spanish flower" 50pts commemoratives, and the 100 and 200pts coins are very nice. As for 500pts, I have made a lot of money by finding them, because they are still convertible to Euro and are worth 3 euros each... yet they are often sold for less than 50 cents in Canada!

The European countries that I don't like:
- Portugal: They are all pretty ugly, sorry Portugal.
- Belgium: It's fun to find the same coin in two different languages, but Baudouin's/Boudewijn's portrait is remarkably ugly and the coin designs are plain. I think Albert II's francs are much nicer, because at least they are plain enough to be notable... and his portrait does not look as if it has been shattered!!
- Germany after 1950: I like finding the occasional D-mark, but pfennig coins... there are too many of them! I enjoy finding the very early BANK DEUTSCHER LÄNDER coins, though. As for East Germany... give me a break! Pfennig coins are completely undesirable for me, but I also like the denominations of 1 mark and up (and the brass 20-pf coin is fairly interesting).

Others...
- PRC: Boring communist-style designs, usually found worn down and sometimes covered with unknowable gunk :x (the latest Chinese coins are kind of nice, though)
- Certain Yugoslav coins: some are nice and hard to find here, others are ubiquitous
- PR Poland: Boring designs... intensely boring designs, actually. However, modern Polish coins are very nice :D
- Sweden: Well, the very latest coins (and the upcoming new coins) are nice, but I see far too many low-value öre denominations. However, most of my cheap mixed-bin silver coin finds are Swedish, and I have found many 10kr coins for far below exchange value 0:)
Yeah I must say Sweden as well, and it might be because I'm from Sweden. But we've had the same design for far too long and it'll be a blast to finally get some new ones!

I don't like the UK or US coins either; every time I see them in a bulk/lot (which is always) I get second thoughts. Same with the German. I don't know, it's all same-same, nothing new and interesting, just..boring..
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Quote: bam777Federal Republic of Germany. Bores the pants off me!
Jup, also post-WW2 Belgium. Our Dutch coins from 1982-unwards are also not really admirable.
"For by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much, while for the most part they know nothing"
-Plato
Here's one we can all agree with:
Modern Chinese Fakes.
My Least favorite country would have to be Philippines.  Very plain designs.  US post 60s circulated coins as well.
I would rank 1st Yugoslavia.

I would rank Yugoslavia and Belgium, both countries from 1960 onwards.
Nr.1 _ Papua New Guinea  0:)
Happy New Year,..... :P
POLLS CLOSING SOON!

VOTE NOW OR REPENT LATER!!!!!!!!!
Hm...
I'll have to say...
Mexico.
Quote: ZuluRaptorSpaceHm...
I'll have to say...
Mexico.
Why? What do you think makes them boring? I quite like those ancient-American coin designs!
"For by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much, while for the most part they know nothing"
-Plato
For me its more of an age thing. I am  not keen on any modern coinage. Not until you get back to about the 1900s and earlier do I start appreciating the coins more.
 Being a metal detectorist, and finding ancient  Roman ,Saxon and Medieval coins might have something to do with this.
But getting back to the Most unpopular Countries coins , then it would have to be anyone who uses the Euro.
Quote: Lotus07
I'll have to say...
Mexico.
Why? What do you think makes them boring? I quite like those ancient-American coin designs!
I just don't really like Mexico.
 :I

It's pretty boring to see 2 euro cent coins, though (unless they are from a more obscure country, like Malta, Cyprus, Latvia, Estonia, Slovakia, Slovenia...), because they get mixed in with Canadian and American 1-cent coins and are commonly found here.
Quote: nalaberong:I

It's pretty boring to see 2 euro cent coins, though (unless they are from a more obscure country, like Malta, Cyprus, Latvia, Estonia, Slovakia, Slovenia...), because they get mixed in with Canadian and American 1-cent coins and are commonly found here.
lol, I live in Holland, and those 2 euro cent coins are extremely rare  (8
Quote: DappereDodo

Not really, I've found 2 2ct. from Malta, a slovakian 2ct, slovenian 2ct and some more.
-Plato
Kyrgyzstan, Albania, Portugal, Yugoslavia, Spain, Germany, and Slovenia are all contenders but the winner here is the UK. Queen Elizabeth takes up half the space while the other side is a piece of a shield.
Quote: DappereDodo

In finland 1c and 2c coins aren't even used and 99% of all shops refuse to take them as a payment
I consider East europ a little boring, like Romania, Yugoslavia, Armenia, even 2 ztlote series are not so interesting.
In contrary what a pleasure to spend hours to identify old indian coins, German states item and their historical context ... I remember a counterfeit coin from the Reckheim County that kept me in suspense more than several hours ! Qing, Song or Tokugawa Shogun coins, walking through the US national parks, discovering non-circulating coins from isolated oceanian islands that you'll never visit, get lost with all the languages of south africa, aproaching some israelian symbols, be in contact with some inhabitant of transnistria with the help of Numista, glimpse myths of Iceland, all this turns me on :8D
Referee of south atlantic islands
Funny how nobody has mentioned Switzerland yet. Identical coins since 1850 or so. An achievement in itself, yes, but quite boring.
Quote: DappereDodoFunny how nobody has mentioned Switzerland yet. Identical coins since 1850 or so. An achievement in itself, yes, but quite boring.
Ah, but isn't this encouraging? Every time I see any Swiss coin I have to flip it over, just in case it's from the 1800s.
My usual rant: Any and every modern country other than England that still uses the British Monarch's portrait.
Numista referee for the "Viceroyalty of the New Spain" (most of it).
History through coins.
Eli V
Quote: DappereDodoFunny how nobody has mentioned Switzerland yet. Identical coins since 1850 or so. An achievement in itself, yes, but quite boring.
Why change what works?  Switzerland have beautiful coins, and as someone else pointed out, it's exciting to pick up some nice high grade swiss coin in a bulk lot and find out they're over 100 years old.
Quote: christianjaztynI would rank 1st Yugoslavia.
pnightingale Can you keep a sticky note on top with the votes???

I will say :

1. Yugoslavia
2. Korea
3. China
4. Turkey

All modern coinage.

For some reason I dont swap coins from those countries as I can get them as a burden in bulks...
JustforFun...
Quote: neilithicWhy change what works?  Switzerland have beautiful coins, and as someone else pointed out, it's exciting to pick up some nice high grade swiss coin in a bulk lot and find out they're over 100 years old.
My first Silver from a bulk was from Switzerland  (8
JustforFun...
Anything modern, plus countries that don't use the Latin alphabet on their coins, as I can't read anything, which also makes it harder to discern fakes!
www.facebook.com/numismatics.anonymous
Public community/page for mostly related news articles. :)
Quote: bam777Federal Republic of Germany. Bores the pants off me!
I love those!
I have to say... France.
Quote: ZuluRaptorSpace
I'll have to say...
Mexico.
:~  Maybe you are living in Mexico's land inside the US and that is why you don't like it. Remember it is about the coins, not about the country, and we sure have a lot of superb coins, and all our a lot of them with Aztec motives.
Numista referee for the "Viceroyalty of the New Spain" (most of it).
History through coins.
Eli V
Quote: erdvilla
Quote: ZuluRaptorSpace
I'll have to say...
Mexico.
:~  Maybe you are living in Mexico's land inside the US and that is why you don't like it. Remember it is about the coins, not about the country, and we sure have a lot of superb coins, and all our a lot of them with Aztec motives.
Don't get me wrong,  nearly all of Mexico's pre-1950s are absolutely beautiful. What I think killed the modern ones for me though was when I lived in El Paso, Texas and I began to associate the Bi-Metalic one and two pesos coins with the rambunctious drug lords that came over from Juarez to prey on the weak and febble. As a child then, the coins and memories Coexist and left a mark on how I felt about modern Mexican coins.
transnistria, abhkazia, hutt river all those fantasy countries which aren't even real official countries but from real countries I would say chinese coins because it's to risky to buy them because of the fakes, all those small Island nations such as nauru, samoa, cook islands but the worst of all coins are republic of india coins because I just don't find them beautiful and the mints in india make poor quality coins
oh and I hate circulatin coins and it's super annoying when noobs want to swap some worthless circulating coins to my old silver coins  ;(
Eurocents
Quote: kolikko99transnistria, abhkazia, hutt river all those fantasy countries which aren't even real official countries
Well, at Tiraspol, the only circulating currency is coming from the Trans-Dniester Republican Bank 8)
Quote: Frenchlover
Quote: kolikko99transnistria, abhkazia, hutt river all those fantasy countries which aren't even real official countries
Well, at Tiraspol, the only circulating currency is coming from the Trans-Dniester Republican Bank 8)
still I don't consider transnistria a country more like a state plus I don't like modern coins and that's all they have
Even more, I'd say post-modern composite coins :8D
Quote: kolikko99the worst of all coins are republic of india coins because I just don't find them beautiful and the mints in india make poor quality coins.
its because  indian goverment is  only money minded   X-D  and  poor quality because of very high mintage.  i like  a very few coins of  republic india.  i dont like republic india's banknotes  because  all the notes have the same person on it. :(
same person on all notes ar in many countries, - Turkey for example. MK Ataturk is everywhere.... Indian  banknotes are  quite nice for me, -  I dont collect banknotes, but some indian ones are  very nice, -  I remember a banknote with tiger on it.. good one.

Most coins of  21st century are too equal ( by visual)   to each other. Sometimes you cannot identify   a coin without   name of country :) They lost    ethnical  specifications. And became ugly  pieces of metall. All has   almost same sizes, same  denominations, almost same themes on them, and same shapes, same ornaments.  They became  like  cars, -  you  cannot identify which is  Hyundai,  Renault, or BMW, or Ford, or  Mercedes without   brandmark on their noses :) All  have same design.

So, for me  most coins of 21st century are bad coins :(  its true but  hard to not say about it...

Maybe Im  too subjective and many of you  can say  that  100 years ago all colonial coins  also had same design and same persone on  their obverse.... but anyway :)  :)  Im sorry for it

yours
David
Quote: adithyasrao
Quote: kolikko99the worst of all coins are republic of india coins because I just don't find them beautiful and the mints in india make poor quality coins.
its because  indian goverment is  only money minded   X-D  and  poor quality because of very high mintage.  i like  a very few coins of  republic india.  i dont like republic india's banknotes  because  all the notes have the same person on it. :(
I keep hearing the story of the high mintage... when I was in India it was so hard to get coins, so are they really minted in large quantities??? the USA 1 Cent is one of the highest minted coin at the moment and they dont have the same problem.
JustforFun...
Quote: JustforFun
I keep hearing the story of the high mintage... when I was in India it was so hard to get coins, so are they really minted in large quantities??? the USA 1 Cent is one of the highest minted coin at the moment and they dont have the same problem.
because usa has more mints and I'm pretty sure that they have better machines
this is also very subjective.  The worst machines have Sudan ( Khartum Mint) , but I  find their coins very interesting :)
Quote: JustforFun
because
1)as mentioned by  kolikko99.
2)USA 1 cent is made of  copper plated zinc  and indian 50 paisa  is made of steel.
3)u canot buy anything for 1 cent  but u can buy some thing  with 50 paisa or 1 rupee.

my 2013 50 paisa coin  is in way better condition than my  2015  1 rupee and 5 rupee  because  the 1 and 5 are still in circulation  and the are heavily circulated .i got  my  2015 5 rupee coin which had rim damege where as  many  indians  still don't know the existence of the 50 paisa new version .I myself came to know about it when i joined numista. The new  50 p is like   usa 1 cent  highly minted but  very low circulation. :`
Quote: Dato Mikeladzesame person on all notes ar in many countries, - Turkey for example. MK Ataturk is everywhere.... Indian  banknotes are  quite nice for me, -  I dont collect banknotes, but some indian ones are  very nice, -  I remember a banknote with tiger on it.. good one.
I  very much like the  india  which  had the indian emblem  .I have many of them.  

QuoteMaybe Im  too subjective and many of you  can say  that  100 years ago all colonial coins  also had same design and same persone on  their obverse.... but anyway :)  :)  Im sorry for it
because   he /she  was   the  only  person  responsible for development  /improvement of  that colony and no  other person in that colony  was equal to that person .

but in the case of india  many person along with  mr. gandhi   held equal share in the independence of india  .i like them to be seen on bank notes also.  0:) ,this  was the reason i told that i dont like indian banknotes . by the way i like the reverse of these notes. :°
I don't like indian banknotes but I think that nepalese notes are one of the most beautiful in the world, I would love to see indian notes portraying more nature and less Gandhi in their banknotes

http://www.atsnotes.com/catalog/banknotes/nepal.html
Quote: kolikko99I don't like indian banknotes but I think that nepalese notes are one of the most beautiful in the world, I would love to see indian notes portraying more nature and less Gandhi in their banknotes

http://www.atsnotes.com/catalog/banknotes/nepal.html

my thoughts are almost the same.
I fear to say but for me it is the USA.
Boring and ever available presidents looking at me like they know....
Uuuuughh. - the bull is a good exemption.  X-D
Quote: imrehI fear to say but for me it is the USA.
Boring and ever available presidents looking at me like they know....
Uuuuughh. - the bull is a good exemption.  X-D
Just as the Indian that every now and then appeared on the penny and gold coins!
-Plato
I would rank 1st Venezuela
2nd Yugoslavia
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
I would say Norway or Sweden-boring designs.  
I have just been looking through my Yugoslav coins and I think they're too maligned. They are just confusing because there are eight different Yugoslav dinars 8~ but once you figure them out they can even be interesting. Here is my guide to why you should care about Yugoslav coins.

1920 - 1941, Kingdom dinar - if you are not interested in these coins from before 1943, you have only yourself to blame. They have cool artistic designs and are not that common either.

1944 - 1965, Federation dinar - the WWII emergency zinc coins are cool, and I really like the communist designs on the AlBr 10, 20, and 50 dinar coins.

1966 - 1989, Boring dinar - this is the one that people hate... but really? There are some circulating commemoratives in this series that people don't even notice because they are so used to avoiding Yugoslav coins, and the designs of this series are solid... average is better than below-average.

1990 - 1994, Terrible mess - about three or four dinars went by in these few years as the Yugoslav Wars heated up. But if you are interested in modern history and modern wars, you should also be interested in these coins. Some are quite weird (like the "1994 dinar", an entire currency for which only one coin was issued) and even uncommon.

1994 - today, State Union and Serbian dinar - these coins are just a part of the modern Serbian series of coins, which are not nearly as common as other European coins. And their designs are also pretty well-done.

No, there are other countries much more deserving of your hatred... like Trinidad and Tobago.
Quote: nalaberong1990 - 1994, Terrible mess - about three or four dinars went by in these few years as the Yugoslav Wars heated up. But if you are interested in modern history and modern wars, you should also be interested in these coins. Some are quite weird (like the "1994 dinar", an entire currency for which only one coin was issued) and even uncommon.
I thought they only issued one coin (the 1 dinar), because the 1993 Dinar had collapsed twice and they needed something new and more stable. This plan failed because the 1994 Dinar collapsed so quicky that adding new coins to this series would be pointless and that's why only the 1 Dinar was issued. There simply wasn't any time left to issue coins with smaller or higher denominations, because immediatly after the issue of the 1994 they would become worthless. A lot of these 1 Dinar coins are still in uncirculated condition, because banknotes with enormously high values quickly took over the circulation of money in Yugoslavia. Soon there was shortage of anything, there wasn't even enough time to print new banknotes. So old 1992 banknotes were re-issued with a 1994 due to lack of time.
-Plato
Quote: nalaberongyou should care about Yugoslav coins.

No, there are other countries much more deserving of your hatred... like Trinidad and Tobago.
You had some great points, and your correct,  there are some great coins. Just because there are some crappy Yugoslavic coins in most lots I get does not mean that there are not other great coins to be had. I also get German pf coins and yet I love German coins.

I say Venesuala is the worst, decades and decades of the same boring guy.
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Quote: kolikko99transnistria, abhkazia, hutt river all those fantasy countries which aren't even real official countries but from real countries
OK for Hutt River... But not for real emitting separatist countries. Beware for Abkhazia (only precious coinage is really Abkhazian as minted by the Moscow mint, other is private fake), but there is real Transnistrian coinage. Metallic and plastic ones.
Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.
Catalogue administrator, numerous Antique nations and Lorraine referee.
Quote1994 - today, State Union and Serbian dinar - these coins are just a part of the modern Serbian series of coins, which are not nearly as common as other European coins. And their designs are also pretty well-done.
Yugoslavia wasnt allone Serbia, all the country's now have their own currency or the euro. But almost all country's hate Serbia now (in that area).
Pleae check my own coin shop:

https://www.lastdodo.nl/nl/shops/Jelle097

World wide shipping for the real shipping price!
The US coins gets the first prize for being boring and being everywhere online too.
Next come all communist states. Yugoslavia, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Russia, Bulgaria, Romania all had really boring typical communist coins (fields of wheat, tractors, factories, power-lines). I do like pre-WW2 from these countries tho.

Special award goes to Thailand for infiltration. Old thai coins are cool tho.

May the king of coin-collectors, Rama IX, bless you.
Israel, Yuguslavia and euro cents, because of reasons.

Nothing personal.

Woot, none said Brazil! (8
Mexico, Spain, Yugoslavia, Thailand, Euros
Jordan and Botswana rank high on my list. Botswana seem about as bad quality as India.

Will
Quote: "Coinman48"​Jordan and Botswana rank high on my list. Botswana seem about as bad quality as India.

​Will
​yet there's something endearing about the low quality Indian coinage. I guess it's the heritage and the fact that it doesn't have to be perfect just functional.
Philippines. Just plain bores me for some reason.
Quote: "imreh"​I fear to say but for me it is the USA.
​Boring and ever available presidents looking at me like they know....
​Uuuuughh. - the bull is a good exemption. X-D

​It's a buffalo my darlin' fellah.
Aside from the hideousness that is the Euro, my vote would go to Federal Germany and their 1, 2, 5 and 10 Pfennig. Sooo many of them, and when I buy bulk lots almost all of the examples I find look terrible.
I think 99% circulation coins of Europe, Asia and both Americas in equivalent 1 UScent - 25 US cents of 1960 - today are quite boring, and people collect them just because they are also " COINS" . Another vision: 99% of people starting collect from these pieces :)
While I agree that Yugoslav communist coins are hideous you should really check out Yugoslav Kingdom coins (or as they're called in the catalogue Serbian dinar 1918-1941), especially the gold and silver ones. Those are just like other, popular, European coins from between the two world wars. :)

I only collect European coins so don't really know about other continents but I find all European communist coins undesirable, they just seem soulless to me. :(
I collect and deal in ancient Roman coin. In case you're looking for affordable ancient coins or need any help with the coins you already have send me a message.
Russia, I Don't See Them And Generally Dislike Them...
I actually have developed a fondness for the old Yugoslav coins, then again i like the old USSR coins too, something about that that hard Soviet look, i guess. I may be influenced by their stamps, they had some great ones in the '50's and '60's.

Least desirable? Probably the post WWII USA/Canada - they're all the same... Or post-decimalization Australia (or really, anywhere in the British commonwealth)
Thanks,
noah
Russia for the endless commemoratives and India for the bad quality
I do agree that the perception of minting quality of indian is overall bad. But if you get the uncirculated pouches from the Mumbai mint (especially Rs5 coins), you won't be disappointed. I think it's fair to ask anyone who i've swapped with here of the quality of the indian coins they get from me and the answer will be overwhelming positive. Hopefully in my own little way, I've helped changed some perceptions with every swap I make.

Now if we talk about motifs and designs; yes, there are alot of portraits. Earlier it was much easier for me to defend that because those people were worth commemorating on a coin. But its getting harder with each theme to justify that line much longer.

Else in general, I'm not at all enthused by romanian coins, both the communist and post 1991 (except a few commems). The standard circulation coins are quite banal design wise. Ukraine is another country. I collect costa rica like a drone. I'm completely unemotional about it, but i must complete the series like a jig saw set.

I actually like russian, thai and polish coins. But because there are so many of them, it all gets blurred into one monolith, and I don't like that. Unfortunately the same thing is happening to Indian coinage
Outings administrator
Russia - somebody have been saying that already - endless commemoratives.

I actually hate when countries do that, so Niue and other these states rank high for me too.
Catalogue administrator
Quote: "nalaberong"​I have just been looking through my Yugoslav coins and I think they're too maligned. They are just confusing because there are eight different Yugoslav dinars 8~ but once you figure them out they can even be interesting. Here is my guide to why you should care about Yugoslav coins.

1920 - 1941, Kingdom dinar - if you are not interested in these coins from before 1943, you have only yourself to blame. They have cool artistic designs and are not that common either.

1944 - 1965, Federation dinar - the WWII emergency zinc coins are cool, and I really like the communist designs on the AlBr 10, 20, and 50 dinar coins.

1966 - 1989, Boring dinar - this is the one that people hate... but really? There are some circulating commemoratives in this series that people don't even notice because they are so used to avoiding Yugoslav coins, and the designs of this series are solid... average is better than below-average.

1990 - 1994, Terrible mess - about three or four dinars went by in these few years as the Yugoslav Wars heated up. But if you are interested in modern history and modern wars, you should also be interested in these coins. Some are quite weird (like the "1994 dinar", an entire currency for which only one coin was issued) and even uncommon.

1994 - today, State Union and Serbian dinar - these coins are just a part of the modern Serbian series of coins, which are not nearly as common as other European coins. And their designs are also pretty well-done.

​No, there are other countries much more deserving of your hatred... like Trinidad and Tobago.
​Very nice post.Fully agreed with every period.I need few coins more to conclude my collection.
Eurocents really uninteresting me!!!!
Quote: "Geison"​Israel, Yuguslavia and euro cents, because of reasons.

​Nothing personal.

​Woot, none said Brazil! (8
​I would like to know those reasons because Israel have nicely designed coins and constant themes starting with first Judea coin. :o
Interesting thoughts. Good discussion.

If I can find the time and motivation I'll add a running total at the top. Maybe this weekend unless someone less lazy with more time wants to do it first.
Quote: "Andy289"
​​
​​Nothing personal.
​​
​​Woot, none said Brazil! (8
​​I would like to know those reasons because Israel have nicely designed coins and constant themes starting with first Judea coin. :o
​I'm not too fond of Israel either, but not because of the designs - because it takes me way too long to decipher the Hebrew dates :P
Quote: "Andy289"
​​
​​Nothing personal.
​​
​​Woot, none said Brazil! (8
​​I would like to know those reasons because Israel have nicely designed coins and constant themes starting with first Judea coin. :o

Well, I have 19 Israel coins, they have some kind of "sacred pattern" and design that I particularly think its plain and dull, all coins have that air of sameness and they look boring to me. But it is me. Maybe there are interesting ones that I've not seen yet.

Nothing about the lettering, I even think the hebrew characters are an interesting mental work when determining the years.
Perth Mint Australian Coins. The Royal Australian Mint Coins are ok, but the ones that emanate from Perth are just wrong. Wrong size, wrong metal, stupid designs, stupid commemoratives.

Coming second/third is Thailand and Malaysia .. so many of them in bulk lots.

Mike
Referee for Australia & New Zealand Coins & Exonumia, Papua New Guinea & Cocos & Keeling Islands Coins & Australian Banknotes. I Collect > Australia, UK & Dependancies, NZ Sets, USA & Euros plus Misc Exonumia.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 13:09.