Slow page loads?

14 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Anyone else having long delays when opening a new page? This has been going on for several days and appears to be getting worse. It's singularly a Numista problem, the rest of the internets is fine.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Yes, I am having the same problem.
Nope, no problem at all
Try clearing your cache.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
ok here is an old fart queston What is a cache?
It is, what it is, or is it.
Quote: ALLRED1950ok here is an old fart queston What is a cache?
A cache is a repository for stored data that is used to expedite the process of retrieving data. There are several types of caches, including webpage caches, hardware caches, software caches and memory caches. Caches are used to speed up a process so that data does not have to be recomputed or fetched from its original location and, therefore, saves time.
? Format  Format  Format ?   ?
Do not argue with ignorant people .. !! They will drag you down to their level, then pulverize you with experience ...
Quote: SmartOneKgTry clearing your cache.
I see the explanation above of what it is (as I also did not know) so the second question is - how to clear it? Also, when the recent server upgrade occurred I did not notice pages loading any quicker.
Most web browsers have a menu selection to "clear cache", or could be in preferences or settings.  Really depends on what OS platform and what version ..
Do not argue with ignorant people .. !! They will drag you down to their level, then pulverize you with experience ...
Hello,

Here is a tutorial which explains how to clear almost all browser's cache (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome, Safari for iOS, iPhone and iPadSafari for Mac OS and more...)

Hope this helps,
J.
Cache is clear as a Parson's conscience Kenny. I have the same problem with IE11 and Chrome. The problem persists and is being experienced by others which would suggest that the issue is server side.

Perhaps someone could feed the hamster.
I'm in located in Kyrgyzstan, which has some of the poorest internet service and ISPs.  

Pages load instantaneously, except during prime time usage, then there is a slight hesitation, slow or not at all.  
If the ISP that you have has oversold the line you're on, lack of bandwidth will cause slow page loads
Much like godawful FAFSA, if everyone is using the servers at the same time, then the pages will run very slow. Clearing your cache is one step of the problem, the other steps are waiting for the right time to use the site.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
Nope it's not an ISP issue. We pay extra for more bandwidth and faster performance. If it was a lack of bandwidth the problems would disappear during off peak times and It would affect all websites, not just Numista.

Here's where it gets sinister. If I log out I can access the entire Numista site with instant page loads. The moment I log back in again it's back to being effectively unusable again.
I'm not experiencing any problems and i've been using Numista heavily at all times of the [GMT] day for the last few weeks with no problems - It's always been very quick here.

That said, those of you who are having problems appear to be in the US? (Correct me if i'm wrong) Of course, the server is hosted in france, so that -is- a long way geographically, and could be related to bandwidth or latency issues, which may or may not be related to your ISP (But rather your ISP's access to US <> European backhauls). Just because you pay for faster bandwidth and faster performance doesn't mean it isn't a problem with your ISP at all, but rather it 'should not be' a problem there - very different.

I assume you're not having problems with other sites, and you've tried it with other devices from your connection.

I believe Xavier has recently shifted static content, i.e. images to a Content Delivery Network (CDN) provided by ovh.com (http://www.ovh.co.uk/cdn/cdn-network-map.xml) - Which means these resources will be hosted in numerous places around the world (Not necessarily all of those in the link above - depends on packages), closer to you to help reduce lag, However dynamic pages such as the actual webpages your looking at and the database will not generally be available on the CDN - So every page load needs to go to france and back several times.

Some diagnostics are needed...

Your webbrowsers include some free tools to see what loads slowly -
In Chrome go to View > Developer > Developer Tools. A window pane should appear, click the Network tab and load a numista page.
What you'll see here is each individual element that loads showing when it started loading and finished loading. Most info here can be ignored but the 'time' column is sortable. For me, the entire page (the numista homepage) loaded in 1.8 seconds - The longest element actually unfortunately being XITI image at the bottom of the page. If you see anything taking ages if the 'path' is 'numista.com' then its coming from the main numisa server, if its static-numista.com then its the CDN.

See what you find there.

Other things to try out if that doesn't shed light are pinging the server (google 'how to ping a website') and possibly 'traceroute' which shows the latency between your device and every router that is between you and numista.

It is unlikely [but not impossible] to be the main numista server at fault (As it's working fine here) - But rather one of several factors:

* Your ISP - Either rate limiting, or otherwise bottlenecking from You > ISP or ISP > European backhauls.
* The other numerous backhaul ISP's from your ISP to the Datacenter where Numista or its CDN locations is located.
* Your home personal home equipment, Your PC, Your Router or something. Including any AV software, spyware or other software which may interfere.
* A resource that numista loads, such as the ads, the XITI webstats checking etc which would hold up page load, but aren't necessarily Numista's fault (But nevertheless part of their problem).
* Numista's server ISP and it's link to US backhauls.

Without being able to replicate the problem it's hard to say exactly what's at fault but some of the diagnostics above should be able to help, or at providing us (PM?) the output of the tools may help us diagnose the problems for you?

Happy to help further if I can...

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 17:43.