Another Irish question

11 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Alright, simple enough question here.  I've seen Irish coinage referenced two different ways.  Some sites (like Numista) use Pingin.  Other sites (like NGC) use Pence.  Which one is technically more accurate?
"What we are is not as important as what we aren't"
Believe the coin, not the human.
Nordfljot Groningen-Friesland.

Referee for Dutch Republic, Netherlands and Frisia

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008299353139&sk=photos
It's actually Irish Punts, so Pingin is correct and not pence, the punt was slightly higher value than the pound when they were in circulation.
Pingin is their name for the coin so that's what should be used.
That's what I thought.  Gotta say, the first time I tried to look up Irish coins on NGC I had a bear of a time.  Who would have thought that they'd be under Ireland-republic and then use pence instead of pingin.
"What we are is not as important as what we aren't"
Some are really hard to find on NGC.  German currency is one, and Egyptian currency is a real pig to find
I hate that British Guiana is thrown into Guyana. Makes it hard to find !
you are right, it is most peculiar how often the irish punt is refered to as pound and pingin as pence.
Even here in Ireland, you hear people usually say stuff like "i bought it long ago, it was 800 old pounds" or "i found some old irish pennies in my change".
It is odd. i have only few times heard people actually say "pingin" after the euro came...
Punt is an irish translation for pound and pingin is irish translation for pence.

However the more common language to speak is english and in english i guess most people use the english word. Its peculiar because other things very irish have stayed irish-language even in english sentence. Such as taoseach, bainisteor and dail.

I brought that coin subject up at work today and there was one person who didnt even remember that real name for them was pingin...
Shes in minority though. lol.
You would never get that with European currencies, there's Coruna, Kroner, Kronor, Kronur etc.  Imagine the stink that would be kicked up if one country decided their way of spelling was right and listed all the other countries currencies with their spellings.
True that neilithic.
Then again sometimes controversy is easy to form if country have more than one official language. So technically they'd both be right, but im glad Numista have the irish meaning.
Finland has both, finnish and swedish as official languages to my knowledge, but still coin names are in finnish in sites and catalogues. Which is right and all in my opinion. Theres always the one language that have historically been the "right" one.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 01:54.