New User Stats >> 2013 in Review

5 posts
===================
2013 YEAR IN REVIEW
===================

11,424 new members joined Numista in 2013, increasing Numista's size by 48%.  9,619 users chose a nation for their profile, and 1805 did not (16%).  This year, Xavier changed the signup form so that users are prompted if they leave the nation field blank, and this has made a huge difference in national representation in this community.

Of 2013's new members, 1968 are French, 1967 are American, 603 are Indian, 525 are Canadian, 378 are Belgian, 376 are British, and 220 are Spanish.  The remaining 6,222 are from 188 other nations.

15 nations added their first member in 2013: Alderney, Antigua & Barbuda, British Indian Ocean Territories, Burundi, Congo (DR), Cook Islands, East Timor, Guyana, Lesotho, Marshall Islands, Monaco, Saint Lucia, Sealand, South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands, and Turkmenistan.

All of the top 25 nations grew in size in 2013 by at least 80%.  The top ten fastest growers were Ukraine, Russia, Romania, Malaysia, India, Switzerland, Slovakia, Spain, and the UK.  Ukraine and Russia actually tripled their member tally this year!

At the time of this writing...
...Numista has 32,822 members and lists 47,845 coins.
...Colnect has 11,781 coin collectors and 45,049 coins.
...World Coin Gallery has 727 members (with at least 100 coin types) and 60,750 coin photos.
Ouch, Americans beaten by French in new member numbers with 1 new member.
What makes me wonder is why Colnect has a Wikipedia page while Numista doesn't... obviously the demographics (plus ease of access) for Numista are much better than those of Colnect. If the number of coins for both Colnect and WCG seem high, they list all varieties separately.

Also great stats as always Cerulean. :)
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
Quote: SmartOneKgWhat makes me wonder is why Colnect has a Wikipedia page while Numista doesn't... obviously the demographics (plus ease of access) for Numista are much better than those of Colnect. If the number of coins for both Colnect and WCG seem high, they list all varieties separately.

Colnect also has an active Facebook page too. Amir is out and about meeting his membership and generally evangelizing on behalf of his website.  I like the way he does things. The exchange software is clearly designed for stamp collectors and doesn't translate well for coins. Shame really as I like the matching routine they use.

There are a few other similar sites, one in Greece and one in the UK for sure, membership and activity vary. Plus a whole range of Facebook pages but they are full of thieves from *ahem* exotic locations.

Numista seems stagnant, a nicely designed website suffering from indifference. It's like watching an elegant ship adrift in a storm.

There is clearly a demand for a successful and well managed coin related website which isn't being filled by the current offerings. Look at how busy the coins section is on eBay or any other auction site - tens of thousands of active collectors buying and selling. Yet according to the stats provided by Cerulean, Numista and Colnect have a combined membership of less than 45,000 of whom maybe 2%(?) are active members. Where is everybody?

I am just waiting for some enterprising soul at Yahoo or Google to spot the niche.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Quote: SmartOneKgWhat makes me wonder is why Colnect has a Wikipedia page while Numista doesn't... obviously the demographics (plus ease of access) for Numista are much better than those of Colnect. If the number of coins for both Colnect and WCG seem high, they list all varieties separately.

Colnect improves once a week lately. Adding new features every time.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 05:39.