1 euro Error or Fake?

11 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I found this coin of 1 euro recently. Could anyone tell me if it is an error or a fake coin?

Numista referee for Crete, Greece and Ionian Islands
Look real to me. It's in poor condition though. If you'd be interested in swapping let me know ;)
This coin has simply been impacted by something in everyday circulation and is not an error, it would be considered post-mint damage and is only worth €1.
Nalaberong that's not what he means ;) It's a reverse ring on an obverse middle. So middle (or ring, depends on how you look at it) should be turned around. So it is an error
Look at the left picture: there is an "O" on the ring. If you look at the right picture: in the middle it says "EUR". This is where the ring should finish the word "EURO".
Oh, gosh! I didn't notice that.

However, I am still suspicious. Bimetallic coins are assembled when they are struck, so I can't imagine how this could have happened. The damage makes it more suspicious - as if someone forcibly separated the two components and reassembled them.
Hmm that's something I didn't think about (together we'll get there haha). It does look like someone struck it in the middle as there is a deep dent so that might be possible. Anyway it's not going to be worth a lot of money because of the condition anyway. I remember a Dutch coin in the shape and metal of the 50 cent coin but with the obverse of a €1 coin was auctioned for like €700. But this one was kept out of circulation by the Royal Dutch Mint so it was the best quality possible. This one is in a bad shape.
Thank you all for your fast responses. I appreciate it. My first thought when I saw the coin was that had been forcibly separated. However, after a careful examination of the coin's surface I noticed continuous abrasions on both materials of the same side. Another thought is that if anyone had forcibly extracted the ring of the coin, the re-positioning process would have not led to such tight fit between the two coin parts. Additionally, I would like to know how much the current state of the coin (abrasion, strikes) affects its collectible value.
Numista referee for Crete, Greece and Ionian Islands
  I also have a bimetal coin (U.K. £2) where the inner disc has been turned around by someone ...

Mine also has some damage where the middle was forcibly removed. I do not think such fraudulent coins are worth much: I keep mine to teach myself a lesson not to buy them - at least yours was found and nobody tried to trick you into buying an 'error' coin.  8.
It's an error, but the inner circle stands out of the outer circle, might be fake. Check a site where fake euro's are registered.
Nordfljot Groningen-Friesland.

Referee for Dutch Republic, Netherlands and Frisia

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008299353139&sk=photos
I think the ring and center were violently separated and reassembled again.

Some time back there was an interesting fraud case. I posted it on the forum. The article also mentioned an other big fraude case in 2011 in which coins intended for destruction were invalidated by separating the rings from the centers in Europe, but at the destruction site in China got reassembled again and shipped back to Europe and exchanged for real money.

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic18843.html

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 15:40.