Is this even a coin?

5 posts
Hi folks!  I have this odd thing I inherited from my dad, that I would really appreciate knowledgeable folks taking a gander at...

It is really big, like 2.5 inches in diameter.  It was kept with my father's currency (he traveled a LOT in the 50s through the 80s).  I have no idea where it's from, or if it's even a coin. It looks like a coin though.? He died about 25 years ago and my curiosity about it has grown over the years...

Anyway, terribly sorry to bother you all, but if anyone has any thoughts about this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!  ...Liese
Reminds me of Malaysian tin pitis, could possibly be a token
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
I answer this thread just to bring it back to attention.
I haven't a clue whats on picture, but it looks so interesting that now i am curious too.
So anyone?
I have search the internet for hours using token/coin/medal/medallion and mermaid also sea nymph but can't find anything that resembles this coin/token/medal.
Thanks, SmartOneKg, KartWay and tony_k, for your efforts to help!  I too searched online for hours (especially after the suggestion that it might be Malaysian, or a token) and found nothing.

My dad's travels were extensive (we were expat as a family in Africa and Asia for years and he traveled back to those continents and others many times after we came back to US), so he could have picked it up almost anywhere. His work took him into very rural areas on almost every continent. I would say he spent least amount of time in China and Japan, not much time in the country of South Africa, but SE Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, Northern Africa, Central Asia, Indian Sub-continent, South America -- it's all fair game.

Keeping in mind that items can migrate into far-flung markets, it's possible that the item originated far from the place my dad acquired it. But I don't think so - it wasn't displayed or cherished like the art that our family accumulated in its travels; it was simply tossed in with the other pocket change.

He was not a collector per se --the large number of foreign coins I have of his were basically just his pocket change that accumulated over years.  I am pretty sure that he kept his pocket change for practical reasons-- to spend when he returned to that country. He did not keep things as a rule (kind of the opposite of a hoarder).  That's why I wonder so much about this item.

It's worn enough to imply a good amount of circulation (= like a coin or token as opposed to a medal or ornament); it's not crude enough to be truly ancient or primitive. It bears no text or numerals at all.

I really appreciate the time and thought that have been expended on this by members here already, and I am glad to know that I am not the only one who finds this interesting. Maybe someone will stumble across this post and provide us with a Eureka!  My fingers are crossed.

:)

Liese

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 08:39.