Una peseta 1975 strange

13 posts

» Quick access to the last post

It's all in the title.
This coin speaks to me.
Una Peseta 1975 as features: 1,17g / ø 19.9 mm / 0.55 mm thickness, so very thin and very light .

And not truly representative photos (she shines true, as the slice):

and compared with another slice:

What about you ?

If you speak French, it will be easier for me.
Thank you
Cuore sportivo/La vita è troppo corta per non guidare Italiano.
Coeur sportif/La vie est trop courte pour ne pas conduire une Italienne.
Might be a fake, but it also might be corroded by some substance.
It could be fake, but it also looks like it may have been struck on the wrong planchet
I have many romanian zinc coins that are exactly like this one.
I am certain they were corroded with some sort of substance
Yes but look at the difference in the thickness in the third picture, if the coin had been coroded by that much to make it that thin the design would be completely gone, I'd say it's been struck on the wrong planchet or it's fake
Unless it was faked for use in circulation, I would doubt that is a coin worth forgery.

http://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/spain-peseta-km-806-1975-(76)-1975-(80)-cuid-8957-duid-347193

I have several coins where one side is very thin, This I think would be a planchet defect. Where when the planchets were made, maybe the machine or process how they are made ran out of metal or hit a thin spot.

I would say it should add some value, if it is a known and listed error it could be worth a nice bit, but if it is a unique error, chances are it won't add a lot. Known errors are more collectable than non known (To my experience)
Check out my Coins for sale on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/sch/ellmaric44278/m.html?item=231381585778&hash=item35df6acf72&pt=US_World_Coins&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
for me - fake.
maybe bad light, but seems also  another metall.
Thank you for your answers.
I posted the same topic on the french forum https://fr.numista.com/forum/topic32873.html

@ kommodore : You have the same idea as Deianel = corroded

@ Dato Mikeladze : bad light because the obverse and reverse shine like the slice

@ neilithic : I made ​​the same point on the French forum: if it were corroded reliefs would have disappeared. New idea: "it may have been struck on the wrong planchet"

@ Barnabus : I agree with you when you say: "Unless it was faked for use in circulation, I would doubt that is a coin worth forgery."

Excuse me for my broken English
possibly sliced and then stuck back together, I have seen this done to a UK half penny.
There is no trace on the edge (reeded) and it is too fine for this 0.55 mm
There's an awful lot of coins struck on incorrect planchets, including Spanish coins.  I've read about a 1 peseta struck on a 5 peseta planchet before, it's possible that it's struck on a different planchet.  

"The quality-control regulators at our mints do a great job of catching mistakes, but luckily for collectors, some botched coins do make their way into circulation. Among the more common errors are blank coins, coins struck off-center, coins struck on the wrong planchet (i.e., the image of a quarter stamped onto a penny), and double-struck coins."
If it's a fake, the metal is the same.
Test density 7.8, identical to the original.
The magnet test is negative.
So I would opt for the idea of ​​neilithic
I think I have written about this issue in other posts some time ago. In late seventies and early eighties, first years of Juan Carlos I, there was a fraud in Madrid mint. Some employees coined many impossible coins. They blend dies and flans, and sold the resulting monster coins. They ended up in jail.

This coin is surely one of them.

Here is a recent article (in Spanish) about this fraud in a numismatic blog.
http://blognumismatico.com/2014/09/05/los-errores-provocados-en-la-fnmt-a-principios-de-los-80/
Referee for Spain, Iberia (ancient), Suebi Kingdom and Visigothic Kingdom

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 21:02.